Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are paying attention here TM just gave away all the secrets to fine port work in this pic. Cell phone to call your friends and get some of those "Magic" mushrooms there. After that it's just the matter of BFH and some skill with experience, you dig? :b1:

I knew Scott was a fun-gi the minute I met him.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 65915

this is what it looks like after cutting .015". had to stop ad check to see if I was cutting it square to the bore, I indeed was. this is why I recommend to at least cut enough to correct it.

I can see that the factory squish was off. Are you also saying you were checking if your cut was square to the bore?
If so, why would the mandrel cut unsquare to the bore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been there many times and it's very odd. Always figured it was me but I confirmed it was the factory with a depth micrometer.

The factory bands can be off way more than any of us would imagine possible.

Dan, you can still be square but if you're not using a stop on your mandrel like Scott is, you can still have varying height as you cut. Non-symmetric bands, like an 026 with an offset chamber, are the toughest. The thinner part of the band needs less pressure to cut the same amount. Very easy to gouge it there.

My stop is not as nice as Scott's. I use a spilt piece of PVC pipe and a hose clamp, when I actually use one.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 65917

build sheet. numbers on the left are where the ports landed after base and squish cut. numbers on the right are my target numbers.
I woulda thought you'd go with less exhaust duration. Are you finding smaller saws don't need the lower roof like previously thought?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive seen a small Echo with a intake that was like that. And that notch is brilliant!