working on other builders saws

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a few days ago a guy comes to the shop with a few saws looking to 1 or more ported. amongst these was a saw done by another porter. I asked what was up with it. it doesn't run, no compression. he had talked to the other porter and there was no problem sending it back for repair. he asked I I would look at it to see if it would be cheaper for me to fix the saw or if it should be sent back.

what would all of you do?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Open communication between the three of you would be my approach. If the builder and the customer are ok with you looking at it then cool.
If i had built the saw, I would have no issue with you looking at it to save on shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
a few days ago a guy comes to the shop with a few saws looking to 1 or more ported. amongst these was a saw done by another porter. I asked what was up with it. it doesn't run, no compression. he had talked to the other porter and there was no problem sending it back for repair. he asked I I would look at it to see if it would be cheaper for me to fix the saw or if it should be sent back.

what would all of you do?
What's the harm in checking it out for the customer i check out saws and equipment pretty regularly for people most want it fixed some are curious what happened but you saw porter's are funny lol

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Take pictures, take it apart in front of the judge.

Honesty goes a long way!!!

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Take one of them muffler modded saws to a dealer, most of them can't return it with said illegal mods.

Now who is going to ask who is the original Porter???

There, the elephant has been spotted!!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take one of them muffler modded saws to a dealer, most of them can't return it with said illegal mods.

Now who is going to ask who is the original Porter???

There, the elephant has been spotted!!

Who cares. He is standing behind it. That's all that matters. All builders have saws that develop issues whether from their work or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd take a quick look at it, after all things do just wear out. If it looks like it failed prematurely due to the modifications I'd contact the original builder immediately and get them in the loop. Plus, shipping can be expensive and if its a simple fix I'd much rather have someone closer, who I know is more than capable, fix the saw and save the owner some money.

To go further, I have fixed things done by other porters that where an obviously mistake. I don't post any pictures or raise any fuss. I just make a mental note not to do the same myself and move on.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked to the saw owner about what he used for oil, ratio, fuel. how he liked the saw when it ran, things like that.

stihl white bottle, 50;1. he liked the saw but it never idled right. said it only lasted about 50 hrs.

I don't think he retuned it when he got. my first thought was bad tune or air leak and it's lean scored.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked to the saw owner about what he used for oil, ratio, fuel. how he liked the saw when it ran, things like that.

stihl white bottle, 50;1. he liked the saw but it never idled right. said it only lasted about 50 hrs.

I don't think he retuned it when he got. my first thought was bad tune or air leak and it's lean scored.
Don't most builders recommend 40 to 1 ?Once saw is modded to help with the extra stress of more power output ? Never heard of white bottle stihl .ultra is silver bottle isn't it ?