Saw shop closing in CNY

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sad to report that one of my favorite saw shops around Syracuse is closing- George Kahler sales is calling it in the not to distant future, not sure exactly when but vaguely early/mid Feb? I picked up some climb gear 20% off, he's not discounting saws much or taking trades but had a good few things kicking around if you're in the area. More significantly, he had some SWEET old wall hangers, an authentic (but not pristine) stihl 090, a Husqy white top 61, and a bunch of other saws I'm not familiar with (gear drive looking things) that he wasnt specifically selling but said "Cash is king". I am likely to make another trip over there when i can dick around and pick through his leftovers without hassling him. Sorry to see them go, between them and House Trucking that was about it for honest and earnest saw shops that would do it right or make it right. Every other place around here grinds my gears.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He is ( was ) a force around here, would sell for less than anyone else, so loggers would go there with a show like mentality and get supplies almost bulk. I did a lot of work on GKS purchased saws that were in the box as they came from Husqvarna, especially the 372's when they went X-torq, would turn them down to no load at 13k and basically do dealer prep type things. He did have the best prices in the area. Husqvarna dealers are dropping like flies around here. Johnsons motors is no more, Pendal Hardware no longer support Husqvarna, The guy up in Auburn & King Ferry is Husqvarna in name only. I'm lucky to have CNY who still is a good source of parts.

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He is ( was ) a force around here, would sell for less than anyone else, so loggers would go there with a show like mentality and get supplies almost bulk. I did a lot of work on GKS purchased saws that were in the box as they came from Husqvarna, especially the 372's when they went X-torq, would turn them down to no load at 13k and basically do dealer prep type things. He did have the best prices in the area. Husqvarna dealers are dropping like flies around here. Johnsons motors is no more, Pendal Hardware no longer support Husqvarna, The guy up in Auburn & King Ferry is Husqvarna in name only. I'm lucky to have CNY who still is a good source of parts.
My dealer is dropping Husqvarna in Feb.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dealer is dropping Husqvarna in Feb.
That’s not good, the small independents are being run out , for big box stores, just like what Walmart , and Amazon, has done to the small family businesses across this country, It’s all about the shareholders perception of what is best for them and there profits,

Last edited:

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Separating the lines instead of making all go to one dealer not a great idea. I'm sure it sold a lot of homeowner units, but those same units could have been sold by an OPE dealer just as easily. Taking those sales from the OPE dealers surely caused a loss of business.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where my wife works deals full line Stihl and husky, while not huge not that many years ago they were considered too big a chain at 8 stores for Stihl. But as times have changed Stihl allowed them to try and now have it all stores which I think is 13 now upper Midwest. They sell tons of Stihl and husky and while smaller and family owned they still sell everything like a fleet farm or Blaine’s so personal attention isn’t as great and just when they get someone trained in for power equipment they leave. Unfortunately it’s the way of the world one stop or online shopping. I have been asked if I want to deal Stihl and think there’s plenty of pros that would use me instead but not sure I want to invest that big having a full time job welding. Plus the wall of stuff and display is like 50,000$ to start.

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s not good, the small independents are being run out , for big box stores, just like what Walmart , and Amazon, has done to the small family businesses across this country, It’s all about the shareholders perception of what is best for them and there profits,
The waiting period and backorder on parts coupled with having to warranty the Home Depot,Lowes saws sold to homeowners and Husqvarna's warranty pay is not good!

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The waiting period and backorder on parts coupled with having to warranty the Home Depot,Lowes saws sold to homeowners and Husqvarna's warranty pay is not good!
I can completely understand, same stuff happens where my wife works with tractor supply saws. Also the mtd saws at Menards, they always say l and m is a dealer and can take care of warranty issues.

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Have you been up to House Trucking in Central Square? Dan is a good guy. He’s doing his best to keep loggers and tree guys in good repair. CNY power sports looks like they do the business, haven’t stepped foot in there myself yet.

vrex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They had 372,390,395,572 and maybe a few 592s on the shelf. They had 1 400c for $900. Some stihl light bars, mostly Oregon and x cut chain. Good inventory of husqy saws but not much left on the stihl side. Had a 194t. If anyone is looking I can get pricing for you, I dunno if these things work out that it’ll be cheaper enough to buy and ship but ill help if I can.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great shop with a wide reach. Wasn't unusual to get saws he had sold in my shop and I was 3 hours south. Granted they were likely sold at the annual woodsman show up in Boonville. But he was a force in the market, a good dude at dealer meetings, and I wish him well.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Much of this big guy vs the little guy crying is bunk. In 30 years I never wrote a warranty on something I didn't sell. You're sort of supposed to, but there are no real consequences for blowing it off. No, it's not smart to "compete" with the box stores. But there's really no reason to. And the money in the low end of the industry isn't worth the effort to begin with.

Had we stayed open we were going to go in the commercial only direction. Both with saws and wheeled goods. There was plenty there. And that's where the potential for growth was.

George Kayler was a great saw shop because he focused on the saw biz in it's entirety. Unlike the typical tractor or power sports dealer that stocks saws, but very little parts and accessories, and have no decent techs to work on the saws. Why in part Walt is doing saw work for CNY. Lol.

The fact that many of these businesses close, even the successful ones, is that when the clock winds down toward retirement, it's simply easier to close the business than sell it. There are some exceptions with larger dealerships such as John Deere stores that can be sold to a group with a chain of several stores. Or those cases where the family will keep the business going. But medium sized operations are very hard to sell. Particularly when the value of the real estate added to the business results in a situation where the numbers just don't work.

People get older, health issues creep into the equation. When it's time to go, it's time to go. I've seen too many guys keep saying "one more year" until there are no more years. Wasn't going to let that happen to me. I wish George a long and happy retirement. 😊

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Much of this big guy vs the little guy crying is bunk. In 30 years I never wrote a warranty on something I didn't sell. You're sort of supposed to, but there are no real consequences for blowing it off. No, it's not smart to "compete" with the box stores. But there's really no reason to. And the money in the low end of the industry isn't worth the effort to begin with.

Had we stayed open we were going to go in the commercial only direction. Both with saws and wheeled goods. There was plenty there. And that's where the potential for growth was.

George Kayler was a great saw shop because he focused on the saw biz in it's entirety. Unlike the typical tractor or power sports dealer that stocks saws, but very little parts and accessories, and have no decent techs to work on the saws. Why in part Walt is doing saw work for CNY. Lol.

The fact that many of these businesses close, even the successful ones, is that when the clock winds down toward retirement, it's simply easier to close the business than sell it. There are some exceptions with larger dealerships such as John Deere stores that can be sold to a group with a chain of several stores. Or those cases where the family will keep the business going. But medium sized operations are very hard to sell. Particularly when the value of the real estate added to the business results in a situation where the numbers just don't work.

People get older, health issues creep into the equation. When it's time to go, it's time to go. I've seen too many guys keep saying "one more year" until there are no more years. Wasn't going to let that happen to me. I wish George a long and happy retirement. 😊
If I do start selling saws later it will mostly be pro stuff to tree guys and loggers, think there’s plenty there and everyone else willl I’m sure go to tractor supply and l & m. Thought about echo some even but I think they’ll be a hard sell here. It’s husky or Stihl but turning more stihl

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A buddy works up in Auburn NY at the saw shop... They're good people!
Two shops up there I understand, I talked to the Addy's folks and they are not really interested in selling or supporting the saws, tractors are their main business. SO I'm not going to try to push a string :)