What to do with dying ash trees?

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Asian longhorn is the scary one as it’ll attack any broadleaf tree. They’ve been trying to keep it in Toronto Canada that was 10+ years ago. I’m not sure how the battle is going. In Ontario I could see pockets of brown/black ash surviving as they prefer swampy area and grow in relatively isolated pockets.

Who knows maybe it will be like Dutch elm and the legacy/resistant trees will eventually repopulate.

As stated EAB killed trees can be very hazardous to cut from the ground if they been infected for some time, similar to beech bark disease killed beech. These trees don’t behave like standing dead elm.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not seeing a lot of bug holes like I found in my pine. But my gut says the trees are done and need to just come down. Owner just wants the dead off…which I did and now they look weird…C527EEFB-7C2C-4DEB-823D-1FB140500006.jpeg8A6A6D44-0531-4EEF-B21C-30C2C006785C.jpeg5F4800B8-FF43-416D-9EE8-04A52CF83972.jpegE519DA6A-095C-44CE-8A6B-F8A04B4CEDBF.jpegD598850F-4D8D-4582-8F3C-B03B6D466653.jpeg

Last edited:

Brufab

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want the ash to grow back just cut it flush with the ground. Here in michigan the eab devastated ash. I am seeing alot of regrowth from trees that had suckers growing while most of the tree is dying. If tree has any life left inhave seen the stump grow shoots out. But unfortunately once the eab gets your tree it's a slow sad process watching the poor tree die

Brufab

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always wonder what species of tree these beetles will move on to next, once their preferred host is next to extinct.
I watched a show a few years back where they were training woodpeckers to eat the ash borer. Very interesting to say the least. They has woodpeckers in captivity and introduced the eab. They were hoping that the woodpeckers would learn and pass the skill onto their young and others.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I’m not seeing a lot of bug holes like I found in my pine. But my gut says the trees are done and need to just come down. Owner just wants the dead off…which I did and now they look weird…View attachment 312814View attachment 312815View attachment 312816View attachment 312817View attachment 312818
David your ash trees look way different than ours here in Michigan. Almost looks like a mountain ash which isn’t a true ash being a member of the rose family. Not sure what’s munching on it but it’s not EAB.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
David your ash trees look way different than ours here in Michigan. Almost looks like a mountain ash which isn’t a true ash being a member of the rose family. Not sure what’s munching on it but it’s not EAB.
I didn’t see much evidence of bugs. I cut off the dead stuff and left them looking goofy according to the owner’s wishes. The healthy looking branches look more healthy now, haven’t lost leaves yet due to sickness or Fall. We figured we’d see what come back or not in Spring.

StihlMagnum440

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but how do you take them down vs taking down a healthy tree? I have several to remove this fall that have been killed by the EAB. Can’t help thinking they will be more difficult/dangerous to get on the ground without getting hurt/ killed. I’ve removed healthy ash & had success with bore cutting to reduce barber chair. I imagine a good hard hat for dead falling limbs? That probably my biggest concern as I assess the trees. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.:)
Put a safety belt or chain around the trunk along with proper cutting technique. It is best to always have a safety around the trunk on trees that are prone to barber chair. We have EAB in Maine and are supposed to report it if we find some. Also, there is a limit on miles firewood can be transported to prevent transmission of the EAB. Really great firewood and naturally low in moisture relative to other trees. I have cut a bunch of it off a woodlot and like cutting it and handling it.

Int1968

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a side note if any of you guys are dealing with beech bark disease killed beach apply the same caution. Safest is from top down with a lift.

I’ve seen trunk failures at ground, mid way up stem and large limbs breaking of in the crown, no rhyme or reason in stands infect at the same time.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They seem pretty good now after me cutting the dead out last year. 9A966493-3289-4BFA-A7F6-46CD417AD484.jpeg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They seem pretty good now after me cutting the dead out last year. View attachment 329093
Would like to see them top dressed with nutrient charged biochar and mulched over that. Top dieback like that almost always indicates a soil problem if it isn’t bugs.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would like to see them top dressed with nutrient charged biochar and mulched over that. Top dieback like that almost always indicates a soil problem if it isn’t bugs.
This valley used to be a huge lake like the salton sea, and it’s pretty much all salty still.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This valley used to be a huge lake like the salton sea, and it’s pretty much all salty still.
In that case lose the nutes it will make the problem worse. Biochar alone can help balance the out of whack ph. May want to soil test and and lime instead. The mulch will help with moisture loss due to your incredibly dry atmosphere.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have heard of lime for soil remediation around here, and or gypsum

Gypsum will not adjust soil ph but can improve water infiltration in salty soil. It will isolate hydrogen ions but they will remain in solution. Would have to see a soil test to really give good advice on what to amend with. Beyond that straight biochar will balance the soil and improve water retention without causing much harm. The mulch layer over the Biochar will keep it from blowing away in the wind.