What should be the next AM kit saw?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mattyo , The very first line of Walt's opening post is, "Not so much from the hobby side, but for real." So, I was thinking real world instead of hobby world and looked at it through that lens.:)

But regardless of need, want or what would be cool to have, the company manufacturing the parts still has to make a financially sensible decision about whether to produce them or not. Saws are fun for us, and in the particular case of great models that are NLA, the chance to get one that you missed out on would temp any of us. They make 'em and we'll buy 'em. But the hobby world is too small to support that idea.

I agree with the incidental theory. They get to a point where they are making all the parts, and all you need to call it a kit is to put them all in the same box. And as was already stated, there is no doubt a market for these good solid designs in places that are far less regulated than we are here in the US and Europe. And in those places, they don't have to sell kits, they can sell assembled saws. The MS380 is another proven design, and since they've been making the parts why not do the kit. They sure aren't worried about too many models or variations to sell, which is fine.

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just observations from the outside looking in...And..for clarification the market parallel was not motorcycles...very few "Kit" dirt bikes. Maybe mini bikes! But it was computer industry...and thats another "tool" oriented market that also crosses over to recreation....where we now find the hobby farmer and woodsman. The CAD/CAM reference was to those who always look to the market past as a reference to the future, not a bad thing assuming the "fundamentals" don't change..:) The best parallel is with the Computer Hardware...IBM owned 70 percent...then cam UNIX and distributed processing...then Ethernet, LANS' then PCs .... lap tops, then Internet...and cell phone technology....BUT the PC had a "phase" where it was all the rage to build your own computer with a pile of parts....:) It came, went, but never totally away. I see a similar pattern developing here for the same reasons....of course the concept of a "PC" evolved into lap tops....using Internet now has morphed into hand held using totally different communication protocols. But that period of time where the build your own box was a popular concepts, eventually focused on "gaming"...never totally went away.

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But the "for real" side alludes to the concept those "Kit Saw" could play in a market place elsewhere in this world and with local support compete with the big guys offering. Simplicity. Cost. Supportability at lower levels of technology. A concept actually supported by the fact Stihl is re-introducing a 250 into the market and Husqvarna still makes some 200 class saws in South America. So the question was phrased that way asking WHICH of those pre CARB complaint saws that are in that technology class would YOU want...same question...:) seems like 288's hit a lot of buttons.. ME I still like the 254's, will see how that 036 stands up this spring I guess.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup yup and yup. I was just thinking Im about due to build the next pc!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When designing the top secret Dreadnought; first of the all big gun battleships that was introduced in 1906, one of the debates was to stick with reciprocation propulsion or move to the then unproven steam turbines. It was becoming clear that steam turbine propulsion was going to be the future and that any ship without it would be obsolete within 5 years. A steam turbine demonstration nearly a decade earlier at Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 had demonstrated the potential of turbines to not only the RN but to every navy present. But the British anxious to preserve their "two power" policy over other naval powers, in particular the Imperial German Navy, the egotistical plaything of Kaiser Wilhelm, AKA Queen Victoria's grandson..............................oh wait a minute, I forgot we talking about chainsaws. :2guns:

Spring is one month from today, when we can get in the woods and stop this silly stuff. :taptap:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But the "for real" side alludes to the concept those "Kit Saw" could play in a market place elsewhere in this world and with local support compete with the big guys offering. Simplicity. Cost. Supportability at lower levels of technology. A concept actually supported by the fact Stihl is re-introducing a 250 into the market and Husqvarna still makes some 200 class saws in South America. So the question was phrased that way asking WHICH of those pre CARB complaint saws that are in that technology class would YOU want...same question...:) seems like 288's hit a lot of buttons.. ME I still like the 254's, will see how that 036 stands up this spring I guess.

Yeah, I get it; just being a goof today. Shouldn't have opened the store on a Monday holiday maybe.

Looks like the 288 did get more votes than the 254. But I'll do a one off 254 kit for you; then exit the kit saw biz. :guitar:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've a real 038 Magnum hanging out in the wood shed I can't interest a soul in, I just guess nobody goes fishing around here any more, is all I can figure. This spring I'll have to put some turd polish on it, maybe that will help move it along. Biggest issue I find with a guy looking for a firewood power saw isn't brand, horse power, AV, etc,. etc., or anything else that makes a lick of sense, their biggest concern is weight, If it's too heavy they don't want it period, no matter how well it cuts.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When designing the top secret Dreadnought; first of the all big gun battleships that was introduced in 1906, one of the debates was to stick with reciprocation propulsion or move to the then unproven steam turbines. It was becoming clear that steam turbine propulsion was going to be the future and that any ship without it would be obsolete within 5 years. A steam turbine demonstration nearly a decade earlier at Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 had demonstrated the potential of turbines to not only the RN but to every navy present. But the British anxious to preserve their "two power" policy over other naval powers, in particular the Imperial German Navy, the egotistical plaything of Kaiser Wilhelm, AKA Queen Victoria's grandson..............................oh wait a minute, I forgot we talking about chainsaws. :2guns:

Spring is one month from today, when we can get in the woods and stop this silly stuff. :taptap:

A great book BTW and a relevant book even today...how we got here....a history lesson!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(book)

(Waiting for Bob to sell "stream Turbine" powered chainsaws...:) A MAD MAX kind of thing..)

Last edited:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A great book BTW and a relevant book even today...how we got here....a history lesson!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadnought_(book)

(Waiting for Bob to sell "stream Turbine" powered chainsaws...:) A MAD MAX kind of thing..)

That the book by Massey? Ends on the eve of war with Sir Edward Grey's famous, "The lights are going out all over Europe" quote? If you enjoyed that you MUST read the follow up "Castles of Steel" which pretty much begins the next day. After that I bought 3 more books just on Jutland.

Nobody takes a thread off topic quite like we do, huh? :)

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That the book by Massey? Ends on the eve of war with Sir Edward Grey's famous, "The lights are going out all over Europe" quote? If you enjoyed that you MUST read the follow up "Castles of Steel" which pretty much begins the next day. After that I bought 3 more books just on Jutland.

True...but now they have to be wondering.....are the GTG's about saws or History?

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

And that's "Robert K. Massie"; not Massey Ferguson...:)

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thats what i was thinking too Walt! soon as I saw Massey hehe

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've a real 038 Magnum hanging out in the wood shed I can't interest a soul in, I just guess nobody goes fishing around here any more, is all I can figure. This spring I'll have to put some turd polish on it, maybe that will help move it along. Biggest issue I find with a guy looking for a firewood power saw isn't brand, horse power, AV, etc,. etc., or anything else that makes a lick of sense, their biggest concern is weight, If it's too heavy they don't want it period, no matter how well it cuts.
Been running pr of 288s, noodling w/20, bucking w/24 n 32 in burr oak.

Not lite saws really, but the power to weight ratio is reallly rad!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True...but now they have to be wondering.....are the GTG's about saws or History?

Not saws OR history, just "saw history". :)

Back on topic: gave this some more thought and of all the 200 series saws, the 2 chassis that I still see the most of are the 288's and 272's.. The 272 chassis would have a big lead if you included all of the oher models on that chassis starting with the 61's. And they should be included from a parts supply perspective. 254/257/262 is a ways back, with the rarer 242's bringing up the rear.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saws OR history, just "saw history". :)

Back on topic: gave this some more thought and of all the 200 series saws, the 2 chassis that I still see the most of are the 288's and 272's.. The 272 chassis would have a big lead if you included all of the oher models on that chassis starting with the 61's. And they should be included from a parts supply perspective. 254/257/262 is a ways back, with the rarer 242's bringing up the rear.

Just luv my 272 and 288's