What do you weld with ?

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am a union boilermaker and the places i weld i use a 100 dollar save phace welding hood dims with a light bulb so i dont get flashed much . usually if get flashed it is when my welding partner is doing his side of the tube .

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i am a union boilermaker and the places i weld i use a 100 dollar save phace welding hood dims with a light bulb so i dont get flashed much . usually if get flashed it is when my welding partner is doing his side of the tube .
They pretty good lids? I'm due a new one but holding off I have a kobalt it's actually been decent for the years I've had it I'm considering getting one of the save face ones

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best in a shop. Not enough sensors to keep it dark in some positions in the field. I use mine to test with and then a pipeliner with a regular lens in the field.

Kinda like The old Husky use/Stihl use methods.

Cookies= Test

Work= Work

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
mine took a 40 foot fall and didnt break we are hard on hoods mine is scratched up because i am the one in the worst tightest areas the outside cover lens are a little expensive but i dont change mine everyday like some do

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

4ft "gooseneck" and a 2ft copper extension.

And a puddle pic.

Finished puddle pic, the machiened area shows the thickness of the puddle.
Dad had a bucket of 7024s, 1/4", that sat in the back of the shop for as long as I can remember: there were also 2 boxes on the shelf.

I'm talking 15yrs.

We burnt all that, along with 600lbs of 7018s on a CAT 990 bucket 1 winter.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How can you hate a Speedglas hood? It's by far the best welding hood I've ever used.
the best automatic helmet ive had IMO is an old Arc One, Vision helmet with industrial 540 7-14 shade lens...I still have it, but the lens is junk! it had a few thousand hours on it, so its expected... they still make them but the helmets are flimsy now, ive been meaning to buy a new lens for it, but I have a new Jackson 9-13 shade that ive been using...
I hardly even use an automatic helmet anymore since the ArcOne has been down, just a regular ole Jackson fixed shade (gold lens)

the speedglas I have, my work bought me (without asking me) I used it for a couple days, and hated it! I cant stand the shade 5 "windows" in the sides...its distracting, the way the lens flips up the spring it uses isn't all that strong and it tends to "open" when you weld out of positon with yer head pointed down, then theres the proprietary cover plates ...no thanks!

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the best automatic helmet ive had IMO is an old Arc One, Vision helmet with industrial 540 7-14 shade lens...I still have it, but the lens is junk! it had a few thousand hours on it, so its expected... they still make them but the helmets are flimsy now, ive been meaning to buy a new lens for it, but I have a new Jackson 9-13 shade that ive been using...
I hardly even use an automatic helmet anymore since the ArcOne has been down, just a regular ole Jackson fixed shade (gold lens)

the speedglas I have, my work bought me (without asking me) I used it for a couple days, and hated it! I cant stand the shade 5 "windows" in the sides...its distracting, the way the lens flips up the spring it uses isn't all that strong and it tends to "open" when you weld out of positon with yer head pointed down, then theres the proprietary cover plates ...no thanks!

If that gold lens ever gets a scratch on it, throw that sonofabiscuit away IMMEDIATELY!!

pontocaine city otherwise.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yup! I run pretty heavy cover plates (thicker than most) keeps the lens safe!

When I was still on my hood, I kept a fiber metal 910 like what Mike is referring to: quality, tough, etc.

Dad got me in the habitat of using a clear plate on both the inside and the outside: a lot of guys don't.

A lot of the pipe hands used the gold leases: I tried one, and it was alright, but the gold is a coating, where the others are shaded.

People don't think about it, but we all see the weld a little differently, and some of us don't see it at all.

I've heard eye color has some to do with it, and I can't argue that.

Cause my head is so big, I was always bad about getting my neck burnt with flash so I kept a leather strip on the bottom of my hood.

#onlyunionwelderscanweldinasoftcap

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I was still on my hood, I kept a fiber metal 910 like what Mike is referring to: quality, tough, etc.

Dad got me in the habitat of using a clear plate on both the inside and the outside: a lot of guys don't.

A lot of the pipe hands used the gold leases: I tried one, and it was alright, but the gold is a coating, where the others are shaded.

People don't think about it, but we all see the weld a little differently, and some of us don't see it at all.

I've heard eye color has some to do with it, and I can't argue that.

Cause my head is so big, I was always bad about getting my neck burnt with flash so I kept a leather strip on the bottom of my hood.

#onlyunionwelderscanweldinasoftcap
ive always run gold...its what my dad ran, so that's what I started with, and always covers on both sides!
and I also started with the old fiber metal and Jackson helmets...I cant stand these new helmets that are flimsy paper thin junk!

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don't matter what kind of hood ya like. They all melt.

Thought I could smell something, then the vision looked a bit droopy.

Inside the hot box, oxy lancing a 10x24x24 hole. Looking down at the cut while the furnace air coming up through the hole. Only took 2 min to wreck the hood.

Moral of the story, stay away from the heat :)

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Don't matter what kind of hood ya like. They all melt.

Thought I could smell something, then the vision looked a bit droopy.

Inside the hot box, oxy lancing a 10x24x24 hole. Looking down at the cut while the furnace air coming up through the hole. Only took 2 min to wreck the hood.

Moral of the story, stay away from the heat :)
fiber metal or Jackson fiberglass helmet with glass lens! plastic helmets aint made for heat!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never melted a pipeliner hood down. I rubbed paint off my new one out in Missouri when it was against the 425° exposed piping. I've only welded in a hardhat band once in the last 6-7 years that I remember.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, I Believe You.

William said as much. [emoji23][emoji23]
Yep. We whine a lot more than normal if they mention those

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The Speedglas has plastic curtains you can install to block out the side windows if you want. I personally like them but I don't have people welding next to me. I can see how someone sparking next to you would be a nuisance.

Their older head gear didn't have a great bottom detent and would open up a little if your head was pointed down. The newer one is better but it still can open up if you tuck your chin and hit the hood on your chest. Lets face it, blinks are mostly for bench work and fab shops. When you're welding all day a fixed shade would be better on your eyes anyway.

Here I found a helmet that might suit you.

nissen-welding3-300x300.png

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i wasn't talking about the whole helmet opening, im talking the lens opening like to use it for a clear face shield...the bottom of the lens will fall away from the helmet letting light in when pointed down...maybe its just mine? idk? i'll never use it again!