stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
reason.

Electrical Safety: Some people believe that this upside-down configuration reduces the possibility of electrical shock. If a three-prong ground plug of this type comes partially out, a metallic object that accidentally hits it will hit the ground first. Ground--as long as it is not carrying a charge--is harmless. Only in the event of a problem will the current revert to ground--typically a rare event.

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why are all the electrical outlets in hospitals upside down?
Answer 1:

that's a really good question that I have never thought to ask. I'm assuming you're talking about the 3-prong outlets which fit plugs with 2 flat blades (on 'top') and one round pin (on 'bottom'). The two blades carry the current, and the pin is the 'ground'. The ground pin only carries current when there is a fault in the system. A fault is when something disrupts the usual flow of electricity through the circuit -- if one of the wires gets damaged, or something metal touches an exposed wire. In situations like that, the ground pin will carry the extra current away from the fault and to the ground (literally) which should prevent all the current from going into the fork that you're holding. This is why the 3-prong plugs are safer than the 2-prong variety, and also why you tend to see them in devices that are used outside, or around water, or in hospitals, which are all places where some moisture is likely to get into the device, causing a fault, and potentially giving a nasty shock to anyone who happens to be touching the device. So, why put the plugs upside down? The best answer I could find was on a message board for electricians (http:// www.mikeholt.com/codeforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=004809;p=1), where one contractor suggests putting the ground pin facing up for this reason: if the plug isn't all the way into the wall (so that some of the metal parts of the plug are exposed) and you happen to drop something metal onto the exposed parts of the plug, it would be best for the dropped object to contact the ground pin (causing no damage) than the current-carrying blades (potentially causing a short-circuit). I suppose they don't want to take any chances in the hospital!So remember to always be cautious around electrical appliances and wires. Also, even 3-prong plugs won't always save you you can still get some rather nasty shocks just from touching the insulated plastic around a 3-prong outlet.

Answer 2:
Because if a cord or wire were to fall down on a partially plugged in right-side up outlet you would short out between the hot and the neutral. When the outlet is "upside down" in the above situation the wire would touch ground first. Also I think it is code.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score

last I knew, the NEC has never specified which way is "correct"...maybe a local code, but not NEC...
GFI receptacles have the test and reset buttons lettered so they read with the ground down...
whatabout ungrounded appliances?...wouldn't matter either way...
more personal preference than anything...but I will flip em over fer you today to make ya happy!

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

last I knew, the NEC has never specified which way is "correct"...maybe a local code, but not NEC...
GFI receptacles have the test and reset buttons lettered so they read with the ground down...
whatabout ungrounded appliances?...wouldn't matter either way...
more personal preference than anything...but I will flip em over fer you today to make ya happy!

It's GFCI and any new one will be labeled for installing either direction. Although, I've checked the code in my area and there is no mention on which direction is correct.

I've installed them both ways and there is a downside to having the ground plug up, all low profile plugs have the cord coming off the ground side. So now your cord is going up the wall.

leviton_gfcioutlet.jpg

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't like em upside down either, but I seen an opportunity to mess with Can't, so I took it.lol

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i know its GFCI...ive been doing commercial electrical work with our electrician for almost 10 years...we don't go around callin em GFCI's
kinda like circuit breakers...we just call em breakers....the circuit part is implied.

@stihl sawing don't worry i'll send ya a pic when I flip em over!

Last edited:

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i know its GFCI...ive been doing commercial electrical work with out electrician for almost 10 years...we don't go around callin em GFCI's
kinda like circuit breakers...we just call em breakers....the circuit part is implied.

@stihl sawing don't worry i'll send ya a pic when I flip em over!
I don't have to hold muh breath do I?

junkman

Crush it
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ground thing is kind of like leaving the elec grinder on the bench disk down ,big deal ,how many times have you leaned on the grinder ,released the safety button ,and got the trigger to engage ,even i am not that good and i can be a klutz sometimes .