What are your thoughts on the Echo 501p

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Curious to know how this saw does as a limber/scrounger of the small stuff? I’ve had a 550xp and several 261s. Thought I’d try something different. It will take sometime b4 I can purchase- probably fall or winter. I almost died in March. They told me in the emergency room that I was hours, maybe a day from dying if I hadn’t come in. I was in ICU and then general pop. I’m doing better now. I’ll admit when they told me, I cried in the emergency room thinking about how my dad must have felt when he got his diagnosis that killed him less than 2 weeks later (pancreatic cancer- 2020), how scared he must have been. And I cried thinking about my daughters and where they would end up if I died. I’ve fought so hard to keep them safe.

Enough of the doom and gloom. Let me know about this saw. Who has one, who was it ported by, etc. thanks in advance

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn brother sorry to hear about all that! Stay strong man and hope that you're recovering well!

A friend of mine just got one and it's bone stock. I'll ask about how it runs.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bone stock they are tame. Light, decent feeling, the mounts have a bit different feel than the 550/261. Filter leaves some to he desired.

They port up very well, almost need to get it ported right away having run the other 2 lol.

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Between Feb 18 and March 18th I went from 247lb to 204lb. The weight kept dropping daily. My vision got blurry the last week. I was having to wear magnifier reading glasses. I had insatiable thirst building up to drinking 3.5 gallons of water a day and anything else I could get ahold of. I was peeing full liters every 30 min. I developed dry mouth and had to peel my tongue off the roof to f my mouth to speak. That Friday on my way home 120 mile trip… I stopped to pee 7 times and it was all I could do to get to the shoulder of the road and run around the truck before bursting. Monday morning I threw up violently and laid around all day with a towel on my head. I was severely dehydrated. I went to a walk in clinic and they immediately sent me on to Er. I set in the er for 4 hours. While waiting they took blood. Then it was my turn to get in a room. I explained my symptoms and how I believed I had messed up on my supplements. The NP said, “well your blood says you’re diabetic and you’re in dka.” My blood sugar was 857 and while in the Er it went to over 1000. They started me on fluids and insulin. The Doctor that saw me said that I “was hours… maybe a day from dying.” I was in ICU with round the clock on the hour monitoring. Then got moved to gen pop. I’ve seen an endocrinologist and they are waiting on results to say if I’m type 1 or 2. My dad became diabetic type 2 in 1985 at the age of 40. I was 40 in the hospital. 41 now. Both his brother and sister are type 2. Both diagnosed over 55 at the time. What I’m scared about right now is the link between new onset diabetes and pancreatic cancer. My dad lived with type 2 for 35 years before finding out June 22, 2020 he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer. The statistics don’t lie and with my dad dying from it… I’m worried. I got 5 years to go before my kids are 18. My dad didn’t educate himself on diabetes nor did he take care of his health. In the hospital they said my A1C was level 14 so my average had been 355. Since coming out I have gotten my A1C down to 8.9 and have only had a few spikes into the 200s. I’m disciplined and am watching everything I eat and how my body reacts to it. Ideally I would like to have type 2 bc it can be beat with diet and lifestyle changes. Here is hoping.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4910 and 501p are exactly the same saw except the 501 has an aluminum handle and a lighter starter. Is that worth $200 extra?
Echo is getting rid of the 4910s once the stock is gone that is it I do believe.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Between Feb 18 and March 18th I went from 247lb to 204lb. The weight kept dropping daily. My vision got blurry the last week. I was having to wear magnifier reading glasses. I had insatiable thirst building up to drinking 3.5 gallons of water a day and anything else I could get ahold of. I was peeing full liters every 30 min. I developed dry mouth and had to peel my tongue off the roof to f my mouth to speak. That Friday on my way home 120 mile trip… I stopped to pee 7 times and it was all I could do to get to the shoulder of the road and run around the truck before bursting. Monday morning I threw up violently and laid around all day with a towel on my head. I was severely dehydrated. I went to a walk in clinic and they immediately sent me on to Er. I set in the er for 4 hours. While waiting they took blood. Then it was my turn to get in a room. I explained my symptoms and how I believed I had messed up on my supplements. The NP said, “well your blood says you’re diabetic and you’re in dka.” My blood sugar was 857 and while in the Er it went to over 1000. They started me on fluids and insulin. The Doctor that saw me said that I “was hours… maybe a day from dying.” I was in ICU with round the clock on the hour monitoring. Then got moved to gen pop. I’ve seen an endocrinologist and they are waiting on results to say if I’m type 1 or 2. My dad became diabetic type 2 in 1985 at the age of 40. I was 40 in the hospital. 41 now. Both his brother and sister are type 2. Both diagnosed over 55 at the time. What I’m scared about right now is the link between new onset diabetes and pancreatic cancer. My dad lived with type 2 for 35 years before finding out June 22, 2020 he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer. The statistics don’t lie and with my dad dying from it… I’m worried. I got 5 years to go before my kids are 18. My dad didn’t educate himself on diabetes nor did he take care of his health. In the hospital they said my A1C was level 14 so my average had been 355. Since coming out I have gotten my A1C down to 8.9 and have only had a few spikes into the 200s. I’m disciplined and am watching everything I eat and how my body reacts to it. Ideally I would like to have type 2 bc it can be beat with diet and lifestyle changes. Here is hoping.
Glad you’re alright man. Fingers crossed for type 2. Ditch the carbs/sugar and you can and will beat it!

The 501 is a great little saw. I’ll echo what @Red97 has said. Get it ported right away. It seems like @huskihl has gotten them real close to comparable to a 346. Not quite but close.

mattr66

OPE Member
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The crazy need to urinate was your body trying to dump the sugar. Make sure to take a chromium supplement every day. It really helps your body utilize the insulin and may help you use less of it daily. With the monitoring technology available today (think smartphone ap), diabetics have a much better outlook for a long and healthy life.

Now to the saw. Non ported they are okay, but ported they are little monsters. My favorite saw profile out there for a 50cc. I got started with the 490 (predecessor to the 4910/501p) and when they are ported they are my favorite saw for medium duty. It will absolutely smoke my stock MS261.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stay strong! You can manage type 2. It runs pretty strong in my family as well so I understand your concern. I’m the same way.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seriously? That’s strange, they sell like hot cakes and haven’t been out all that long.
Yeh, it was a us only model, and kind of a filler until the newest models showed up. Its replacement is the 4920 and the 501 is still the "pro" offering. Curious to see the 501 replacement, imagine it will be coming soon ish.

East/West CADaddict

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I feel even more after reading about your situation with your daughters. I would recommend telling & teaching them about taking caringnof themselves financially and the importance of saving for later. You sounds like an incredible role model for them. Be proud of that, and let that be your driving force for the path forward. Because of the diabetic diagnosis and possible cancer word. Which I absolutely hate. Sugars are going to be your worst enemy! Cancer actually thrive on sugars and NEED them to survive in the body. I would look into a Canadian man named Rick Simpson and how he cured himself of cancer the natural way. As of the saws being how you have two 50cc saws in the stable adding a third isn't going to hurt right!? You seem to have a very good understanding of the situation you're going to facing, and seem to have the attitude to beat whatever comes your way. I wish you the best Good Sir.

Joshua

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh, it was a us only model, and kind of a filler until the newest models showed up. Its replacement is the 4920 and the 501 is still the "pro" offering. Curious to see the 501 replacement, imagine it will be coming soon ish.
So, what's the difference between the 4910 and the 4920? Actual improvement? I'm just starting down the path with my 4910, like it so far after a couple tanks but haven't made any mods as yet.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
10:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, what's the difference between the 4910 and the 4920? Actual improvement? I'm just starting down the path with my 4910, like it so far after a couple tanks but haven't made any mods as yet.
If you like the 4910 now, you should have it ported. They go from 3.3hp to 5.2-5.4…totally different animals after port work.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They say more power stock. But the 4920 is a clamshell design so will limit porting gains.

I have both here, will be digging in soon.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hope you're doing better Bryanr. That's some scary *s-word. 😲
I have a muffler modded cs 4910 and a ported cs490. The 4910 will get ported next winter when time allows. My little 490 is the saw I grab 90% of the time.

6+HP is possible out of a ported 4910/501p, though that maybe pushing it a bit for a worksaw?🤔
For reference a stock Husky 372 makes 5.8hp.
Joe @Red97 builds a mean Echo...he has numbers to prove it too.

If they're being discontinued I'm buying at least one more.IMG_20230510_220358322.jpg

Last edited:

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you like the 4910 now, you should have it ported. They go from 3.3hp to 5.2-5.4…totally different animals after port work.
The power improvement sounds really interesting, but to do it I'd be dropping more $ than I paid for the saw.
For the amount of use I'll give it i can't justify the investment. When I need more I'll pull out one of the 036Pro's.

Like to have a Stihl 400 as a bigger saw but again can't justify the cost.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been running a stock 501 since last october on and off. Handles very well. Not a speedy stock saw buy my mki 550 will stall in the cut before the echo will. Filtration issues can be mitigated by using teflon tape under the filter gasket to fatten it up a bit.

If this purchase is in the distance, wait for the 15% off sale at your local dealer. Echo website should have details.

Lost my mother to pancreatic. We had 4 weeks. Metasticized to her liver. Blood clot in lower leg was the first sign she got.