Tree Felling Technique Thread

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And that's a good thing. Gotta have habitat.

Give them one old dead tree to live in and play on. Keep them out of the good ones. Lol

I’ve had to make or leave standing dead for habitat trees I’m completely against it for the fact you’re liable if someone is killed or hurt after you’ve finished the job till the next logger is into the stand. Moral of the story get all dead wood on the ground first before cutting anything else especially if you’re cutting near something like that you could stand that thing off the stump at anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
7:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Close to a house --- Kids -- pets--- Now What ?? Safety first Always....
Not really sir. Picture is deceiving. Look if anyone else has anything else negative to contribute... that’s fine, but I’m not engaging in any pointless arguments. There seems to be a lot of varying opinions and big egos in logging and tree work. I’m always learning. Never claimed to know it all. I wouldn’t encourage the OP to tackle things he doesn’t feel safe or confident enough to do either. My point is that leaving a dead tree in a huge woodlot is not always a bad thing. That’s cool if others don’t agree.

Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really sir. Picture is deceiving. Look if anyone else has anything else negative to contribute and wants to be a keyboard warrior... that’s fine, but I’m not engaging in any pointless arguments. There seems to be a lot of varying opinions on logging and tree work. I’m always learning. Never claimed to know it all. I wouldn’t encourage the OP to tackle things he doesn’t feel safe or confident enough to do either. My point is that leaving a dead tree in a huge woodlot is not always a bad thing. That’s cool if others don’t agree.
I did not intend my comment to be negative. I shall refrain further participation until the atmosphere settles down

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really sir. Picture is deceiving. Look if anyone else has anything else negative to contribute... that’s fine, but I’m not engaging in any pointless arguments. There seems to be a lot of varying opinions and big egos in logging and tree work. I’m always learning. Never claimed to know it all. I wouldn’t encourage the OP to tackle things he doesn’t feel safe or confident enough to do either. My point is that leaving a dead tree in a huge woodlot is not always a bad thing. That’s cool if others don’t agree.
There's thousands of dead standing trees here Mason. No logger in their right mind would attempt to take them all down in every woodlot they cut.

No one I personally know does this either. Do what you feel is right and safe. Your safety is no less important than the next guy walking by that tree. A tree in the middle of the woods like that is not a hazard imo.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@jacob j.
@huskyboy
Just curious would you leave this or take it? I know what I did and why
5f6b13b3f56580db58deac0d674709f5.jpg

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had to make or leave standing dead for habitat trees I’m completely against it for the fact you’re liable if someone is killed or hurt after you’ve finished the job till the next logger is into the stand. Moral of the story get all dead wood on the ground first before cutting anything else especially if you’re cutting near something like that you could stand that thing off the stump at anytime.

I Agree 10,000%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s bean bumped, good life is short, take it while it’s gooder.

It wasn’t bumped the red is from me peeling the bark with the saw it was a standing dead shell even looked live only indicators were the conks on it.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I looker-a-little-closerer...:oops: . now I see barking on the tree, abit betterer. Slits under dead branches. When one would expect healing on/over branch ridge & collar

Dead stander...bug party and hotel, let the party carrry on :risas3:

Edit. It’s very hard to see good from pics. But also I’m no expert on pines or any tree for a matter of fact. I just a learner :oops:... but like to learn from the goody fellers :)

So carryon I’m listening and learning o_O

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would try to knock it down with another tree, but it’s tough to make the call by looking at a photo.

I’m going off memory it was a few years back when I did that one but I think I sent it as a single if I didn’t I faced it up put a small back cut to send it with a healthy export tree.