Tree Felling Technique Thread

junkman

Crush it
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of untraditional techniques used to prevent fiber pull that have been shown in this thread I see.

I don't have any experience on the matter.
They say nessessity is the mother of inventions. I have done a lot of felling of non salvageable or merchable wood.

In the logging sector I was just a contract Faller hired by a Falling contractor that worked for a prime contractor and often worked for a big Licencee. Thank goodness I never had to go to that extent.
Between the three of them you would find yourself in many compromising positions. I always had enough to think about than to please all those jokers.. Things like who shot JR, what happened to Jimmy Hoffa and was there another shooter in the grass knoll or did Oswald act alone?
I bet no one has looked under an old growth stump for them yet.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score

That must be a beaver with small kerf low profile teeth.

That Beaver is certainly not certified, qualified or bonofide.

I first read this I thought TYPO for blondified

Haha. It's a great one. and very fitting for whomever it was that did the cutting.

Got to be a joke in somewhere ? Blondifed + beaver? Oh yeah!

Quit saying "you stupid c _ _ _ ".
There is no need for that language. Be politically correct and address her as "You blondified beaver.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok oh..I wasn't aware that was a falling technique.
I'm all about the bullet tree first before
I ever become 'bob the builder' and beat off with my axe half the flucken day.

Think of it in construction terms.
Frame a 2×4 square on a level floor then you put a 1" shim under one end and each corner will be out 1" from the other from either level or plumb. Right?

So whatever you have done to one corner you have done to the next. In terms of being square to a level floor. Correct?

2)This can be a square framed 2x4 image that you can take with you. Really Its just a square image.

4) The rules of the square image is the square image ALWAYS sits level and the square image SIZE is ALWAYS determined by distance between the back off the tree to the undercut apex.

*Keeping in mind that there is no cut in the tree at this time so it's what you imagine it should be.

Simple stuff. Right?

5) Look for the triangle gap between the square IMAGE and and the leaning tree.

That distance = the height you need to overcome with your wedges.
Roger?

I saw this thread so I signed up here so when you hang out a question that's in my wheel house then don't you walk away with nothing.
Don't you ever quit me? and I'll show you something. Anybody can make chips and my grandma can fall green trees

You know the difference between beginners and advanced? Anyone?
I meant no offense in my response whatsoever. I apologize if I came across as such. I’m definitely listening and doing my best to process what you’re sharing.

As a beginner it’s not always easy to apply the techniques we discuss once I’m standing by the tree. In the end, I’ll do what I’m most comfortable with given the circumstance of the tree.

Last edited:

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I meant no offense in my response whatsoever. I apologize if I came across as such. I’m definitely listening and doing my best to process what you’re sharing.

As a beginner it’s not always easy to apply the techniques we discuss once I’m standing by the tree. In the end, I’ll do what I’m most comfortable with given the circumstance of the tree.
Takes a long time to be safe and efficient. Keep working safe and applying what your learning and the speed and efficiency will show up and you wont realize it.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to share this. It's a perfect example of how things can go wrong in a helluva hurry.

I know this guy and he explained that when he was cutting one side of the hinge collapsed. He knew it wasn't going well so he left it. This tree was not in good shape and he knew that also.

Went back to the house had a cup of coffee, grabbed his little saw and the camera. What happened next he was not prepared for but thank God he wasn't any closer to that tree.

He's not a pro by any means but he cuts a lot of trees. He basically has been doing the same as XP slinger with cutting Ash on his own property and selling them to a local mill.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Hey bud.

No, it was nothing like that. I had read the thread. You have being nothing but polite, inviting and apresiative to all here.. Understandable that you would need to chew on it for a while as you said.. I just thought I would try a different angle that would be easier for people to grasp what I was saying. That was just me not happy with my explanation and I didn't want you to give up because I made it difficult. You seemed very keen on learning. Probably the thing I know the best and the #1 hardest thing to write about. At times it 's a lot to do with the different experiences from the different regions and experience levels. Someone mentions a tree scenerio and I have a context vision. I have something in mind that is much different and visa versa.

Good to see you about

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey bud.

No, it was nothing like. I had read the thread. You have being nothing but polite, inviting and apresiative to all here.. Understandable, that you would need to chew on it for a while as you said.. I just thought I would try a different angle that would be easier for people to grasp what I was saying. That was just me not happy with my explanation and I didn't want you to give up because I made it difficult. You seemed very keen on learning. Probably the thing I know the best and the #1 hardest thing to write about. At times it 's a lot to do with the different experiences from the different regions and experience levels. Someone mentions a tree scenerio and I have a context vision. I have something in mind that is much different and visa versa.

Good to see you about
All good brother, just glad I didn’t come off as a cocky D-bag. What I would give to spend a day in the woods with an experienced guy such as yourself. We lose a lot in text as you said.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to share this. It's a perfect example of how things can go wrong in a helluva hurry.

I know this guy and he explained that when he was cutting one side of the hinge collapsed. He knew it wasn't going well so he left it. This tree was not in good shape and he knew that also.

Went back to the house had a cup of coffee, grabbed his little saw and the camera. What happened next he was not prepared for but thank God he wasn't any closer to that tree.

He's not a pro by any means but he cuts a lot of trees. He basically has been doing the same as XP slinger with cutting Ash on his own property and selling them to a local mill.

Wow...chills. That could’ve been it for him.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yessir it most definitely could've been. A guy I knew my whole life was killed while cutting a firewood tree one night after work. It kinda shows how that could happen.
Standing dead intimidate the crap out of me. I have a few that are still seemingly solid but I’m not gonna touch them. Good old Mama nature can take them down.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Oof! Nasty one

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Standing dead intimidate the crap out of me. I have a few that are still seemingly solid but I’m not gonna touch them. Good old Mama nature can take them down.
We left this one, too deteriorated to be worth anything anyway. Food/home for the animals, insects. 3A94190D-9B2E-4AB7-A589-4639F7A50474.jpeg

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Holy crap!