Dangerous cutting technique?

saskwoodburner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Anyways, who doesn't love watching chainsaw and tree felling vids, right? But...do you ever watch vids and wonder how they manage to not hurt themselves in spite of their technique? Maybe I'm ocd but this guy seems (to me at least) to be an accident waiting to happen. Here's a vid, but it can be any of his vids. Agree with me, dunk on me, I don't care but I think he spends too much time with his legs in the danger zone, jerking the saw out of the cut towards himself etc. Obviously he's quite fast, but as I like to say, you'll never make up for lost time speeding in parking lots or backing up. Thoughts?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, long time lurker here. Anyways, who doesn't love watching chainsaw and tree felling vids, right? But...do you ever watch vids and wonder how they manage to not hurt themselves in spite of their technique? Maybe I'm ocd but this guy seems (to me at least) to be an accident waiting to happen. Here's a vid, but it can be any of his vids. Agree with me, dunk on me, I don't care but I think he spends too much time with his legs in the danger zone, jerking the saw out of the cut towards himself etc. Obviously he's quite fast, but as I like to say, you'll never make up for lost time speeding in parking lots or backing up. Thoughts?
Can you explain further why you think this is unsafe? Specifically, what you mean by his legs being in the danger zone?

I skipped around the video you posted, and watched him fell a few trees. He did a fine job IMO. Made his face cut, plunged out the heartwood and set his hinge thickness, then tapped a wedge in and cut the trigger. One of the safest methods for cutting hardwoods. Even after the face and heartwood are gone, the hinge and trigger will keep that tree standing for days until one or the other is compromised. Also promotes slower falling of the tree, reducing chance of damage to potential logs near the top while also allowing the most time to get away from the stump.

saskwoodburner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I should have been more specific in saying it's more about how he handles/what he does with the saw rather than his felling/cutting technique. I'm not sure which was the original video I watched, but he seems to be in line with the underside of the saw an awful lot and the way he handles his saw I'd say he's one whoops away from buzzing a toe or leg. I can't make anyone else see what I see, so maybe it is ocd lol

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Can’t see a bit wrong with how he’s operating the saw. His technique is sound. Would like to see him wearing chaps but to each his own. Other than that I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I should have been more specific in saying it's more about how he handles/what he does with the saw rather than his felling/cutting technique. I'm not sure which was the original video I watched, but he seems to be in line with the underside of the saw an awful lot and the way he handles his saw I'd say he's one whoops away from buzzing a toe or leg. I can't make anyone else see what I see, so maybe it is ocd lol
It’s all in the wrists.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he’s on the underside of the saw that means he’s facing a pulling chain cutting wood no? I’ve never been worried about cutting through a back cut so fast it’s coming into my leg. Aside from overzealous slashing/brushing

saskwoodburner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this an attempt to get more people to watch his channel?:susurro:
Not at all. I don't know him from a hole in the ground, just thought others might notice his bad habits regarding body position in relation to his saw. I personally have nothing against the guy and he makes short work of the trees, there's no doubt. But... I've watched tons of other guys felling trees and never noticed so many potential near miss situations.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I dont see an issue with it. I’ve no idea how long he’s been on a saw either but i’ve worked well i should say beside, but actually as far away as possible from guys who are highly credited, to me one who has decades on saws especially falling danger trees are worth more than someone who has the tickets and no experience. Someone may jump on him for no chaps, i couldn’t care, i dont like chaps or helmets, each to their own as long as they walk away if it don’t feel right or they are a bit iffy falling it. Not looking for praise but thirty odd years with saws above your head and an instructor who ‘only’ cross cuts himself says you can't do that? I shake my head ignore them and get the damn job done safely, someone somewhere will cut that tree off the car the house the powerline. Keep ya saw sharp thats safe, acknowledge what is beyond capabilities and help if you can or are asked, what matters is we walk to work in the morning, learn things and walk home together.👍