High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Tree Felling Technique Thread

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do they still blow off the hazard trees there in BC Jamie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah. The plan has been to have every Coast Faller certified with a Danger tree blasting ticket. It was the only ticket I never did get. Almost went to get it a few times.. $2000 now. That's the problem there.. You could grandfather in as a cert faller for $150 in 2005. with in 6 months it was $750
4 yrs ago 6 week courses were $30,000
You could get you danger tree blasters for $150 and the rest was paid.
If you work for a big timber Licencee then you will have the explosives on hand but there is lots of small shows. Most people with tickets have only done it in the coarse. I have three different moduals of Danger tree assessors and wildlife tickets at $400 a pop. Lol. Money grabs.
Harvesting one is useless on the coast.
Worksafe say I can assess them on the side of my quarter and someone else flys it in the helicopter and sends me back and they don't even have a ticket. Which is basically the problem. I go back and they are leaning out a mile. After that you just get them all from then on.

Incomplete system foe sure. If you had explosives., you would still be falling killers 98℅ of the time. I know a lot of people that died in the name of safety.
I have almost joined that list more than a few r
times.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yeah. The plan has been to have every Coast Faller certified with a Danger tree blasting ticket. It was the only ticket I never did get. Almost went to get it a few times.. $2000 now. That's the problem there.. You could grandfather in as a cert faller for $150 in 2005. with in 6 months it was $750
4 yrs ago 6 week courses were $30,000
You could get you danger tree blasters for $150 and the rest was paid.
If you work for a big timber Licencee then you will have the explosives on hand but there is lots of small shows. Most people with tickets have only done it in the coarse. I have three different moduals of Danger tree assessors and wildlife tickets at $400 a pop. Lol. Money grabs.
Harvesting one is useless on the coast.
Worksafe say I can assess them on the side of my quarter and someone else flys it in the helicopter and sends me back and they don't even have a ticket. Which is basically the problem. I go back and they are leaning out a mile. After that you just get them all from then on.

Incomplete system foe sure. If you had explosives., you would still be falling killers 98℅ of the time. I know a lot of people that died in the name of safety.
I have almost joined that list more than a few rimes.

How much of the strap your back side cutting let’s take this machine somewhere it shouldn’t go cutting has made it to the coast now?

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How much of the strap your back side cutting let’s take this machine somewhere it shouldn’t go cutting has made it to the coast now?

As far as bunching? I wouldn't know. I see a few from the air flying North Island in some flat areas. In fir. Probably they started on 2 growth fir the last ten years.. Everyone has a buncher in the interior.
You can't not be anywhere and not here someone cutting away.

I have worked with some good hoe chuckers that could work the ground. Pretty amazing. I never crossed paths with 'Cowboys' on the coast

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this. It's a perfect example of how things can go wrong in a helluva hurry.

I know this guy and he explained that when he was cutting one side of the hinge collapsed. He knew it wasn't going well so he left it. This tree was not in good shape and he knew that also.

Went back to the house had a cup of coffee, grabbed his little saw and the camera. What happened next he was not prepared for but thank God he wasn't any closer to that tree.

He's not a pro by any means but he cuts a lot of trees. He basically has been doing the same as XP slinger with cutting Ash on his own property and selling them to a local mill.

Did anyone else find the barber chair to be the least shocking of this whole thing?
What was his intentions? Keep working beside it? looks like it. One of the saddest and yet strangest thing a have seen.
I am speechless.

He calls it a "Killer tree" in the title.
The tree is not the killer in this story.

Last edited:

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did anyone else find the barber chair to be the least shocking of this whole thing?
What was his intentions? Keep working beside it? looks like it. One of the saddest and yet strangest thing a have seen.

I am speechless. He calls it a "Killer tree" in the title.
The tree is not the killer in this story.
I'm not going to try to explain it further because I really can't. I agree there's some crazy stuff going on in that video.

I put it up as an example of how quickly things can go wrong and how much lethal power can be in a tree.

You don't have to be Joe home owner to get hurt out there. Experienced fallers get hurt or die in the woods too. Last summer we had a guy lose a leg and one break a leg locally. Both were full time loggers.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not going to try to explain it further because I really can't. I agree there's some crazy stuff going on in that video.

I put it up as an example of how quickly things can go wrong and how much lethal power can be in a tree.

You don't have to be Joe home owner to get hurt out there. Experienced fallers get hurt or die in the woods too. Last summer we had a guy lose a leg and one break a leg locally. Both were full time loggers.
And it’s an excellent example of it. No one is immune to the dangers of felling.

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know I am a little late to the party but one thing I try to teach when dropping trees is to LOOK UP! Once that sucker is 1/3 of the way down your worries about where it is going to hit are over. You have little to no control of it then BUT the limbs and sometimes other trees will backlash and end up coming back at you. Like Junkman I use a modified Coos bay cut on heavy leaners. [my side cuts go into the face cut about a inch to eliminate any barber chair chance. I had to deal with my best friends Dads funeral because of a dead tree coming back on him after the one he was dropping glanced off of it. We just have to assume he was not looking up and starting to move to a bucking position when it hit him. He had been a timber cutter all his life and just must have let his guard down. A sad day that I will not forget. I still clear property and drop problem trees for people but no longer climb, that is for you young healthy folk! CJ

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I am a little late to the party but one thing I try to teach when dropping trees is to LOOK UP! Once that sucker is 1/3 of the way down your worries about where it is going to hit are over. You have little to no control of it then BUT the limbs and sometimes other trees will backlash and end up coming back at you. Like Junkman I use a modified Coos bay cut on heavy leaners. [my side cuts go into the face cut about a inch to eliminate any barber chair chance. I had to deal with my best friends Dads funeral because of a dead tree coming back on him after the one he was dropping glanced off of it. We just have to assume he was not looking up and starting to move to a bucking position when it hit him. He had been a timber cutter all his life and just must have let his guard down. A sad day that I will not forget. I still clear property and drop problem trees for people but no longer climb, that is for you young healthy folk! CJ
Wow, very sobering example of the danger of tops and other debris coming at you as a tree plows through them.

My eyes are always trained on the swaying tops after I’m safely away from the stump. I also wait long enough for the tops to stop moving before I begin bucking. It’s slow, but I don’t care.

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your friends Dad.
Just goes to show you the real dangers of cutting trees.
Thank you. You normally don't get a second chance. I had on close call with a 28" pine that hit me in the chest and knocked the saw out of my hand. Fortunately didn't have time to think about it, we had to make production. We ran 7-9 tanks of fuel a day through 272's and 372's when they came out. I did that for 10 years. Loved it best job I ever had but dangerous. Cj

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This prick laughs at a barber chair. Itll cut a 28 inch tree in one pass. Biggest barsaw head quadco makes.
1c07dc01b5f537892b76a5f2a40cca01.jpg

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow, very sobering example of the danger of tops and other debris coming at you as a tree plows through them.

My eyes are always trained on the swaying tops after I’m safely away from the stump. I also wait long enough for the tops to stop moving before I begin bucking. It’s slow, but I don’t care.
100 percent agree. I had one of the best if not the best saw guy I have met fix alot of my issues. I thought I new how to cut until he showed me what I was doing wrong. And it was alot! Leroy Diamon. I still miss him. Cancer took him 10+ years ago. Please be safe above all else. Cj

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

His actions were not nearly as bad as I had originally thought. I had some back ground noise when I first saw it. So I didn't realise he was just starting and warming (piss revving) the saw up. I thought he was cutting just to the left front of the picture with a very dull saw, He was exactly where the slab fell as you see his bar for a second. He would have had to side step that slab. I did watch it many times but right at the end of the saw rev.
From there all that was left to conclude was.. he wasn't going to deal with it??
The new falling plan was, set up camera continue cutting and hope it would come down on its own??? That's why I was asking "what were is intentions"
I feel better, I am not going to lie, that^^ was disturbing.
This is certainly one of those times I am happy I missed something and got it wrong the first time.

I will say at least he was facing the situation. Someone could have thought they would be safe there as the tree was leaning down. If he had his back turned listening to music he would have got hit right where he appeared.

What ever happened to the original saw..
mystery?
wedges? mystery.
cutting one side 60°? mystery
I think he got the lean wrong (twice)and was just going to straight cut it off?

Supported with wedges and holding wood across and cutting the shell on both sides would have prevented that. He contorted it.
I wonder if he was standing in front when he finished?

You certainly don't have to make a case to me that seasoned pros get killed too.
I am too familiar with that.
As a mater of fact I believe I just made such reference in one of my posts before the one to you.
Unfortunately I know many that were killed doing nessessary dangerous things to improve their safety.
Like falling snags or cutting big blow down laying up and down the hillside on the coast.
If you don't cut it progressively and fall trees on it, you end up knocking big rocks down on you or knocking over a snag above.
You can do everything safe and don't even see something coming. Slides, singular rock uprooted tree above.
All in the name of safety.

Too much rain in 24 hour period and its a day off.
Too much wind and its a day off
The ground falling quarters are pre walked by supervisors looking for and documenting hazards.

Sometimes you get a bad deal
You do everything safe and the bitçh wanted more

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This prick laughs at a barber chair. Itll cut a 28 inch tree in one pass. Biggest barsaw head quadco makes.
1c07dc01b5f537892b76a5f2a40cca01.jpg

Works great till the tree spins in the head on the bar it goes always fun straightening 3/4 bars. When’s the yo yo unit to hold on to the operators tail coming?