STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I blocked off the exhaust port and the intake boot with the rubber strips and plugged the impulse line with a golf tee (thanks Dub11!). Pumped it up the .75 bars of pressure which is supposed to be around 10.8 PSI. It held pressure no problem as long as I kept the rubber strip firmly pressed on the intake boot opening, a bit of grease helped with the sealing. Did the same with the vacuum, she held 10 inches no problem. I repeated the test after cranking the engine a little to see if the seals had taken a set, same results. So, I'm thinking next step would be a compression test. I inspected the piston, cylinder, and rings when I replaced the jug gasket and all looked good.

Beyond that, I'm thinking maybe the carburetor is not sealing against the intake boot, or the impulse tube on the carb is not sealing to the impulse line well enough. The saw has a strong blue spark and the carb (which was very clean to begin with) has a new Stihl kit in it. Any ideas?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pop off pressure in carb? Fuel filter?
Air filter?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone with more knowledge will have to explain it. But it has to do with the springs inside. It can affect the idle.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think he's talking about the spring that holds the needle valve shut. The one under the metering lever. If you haven't changed it I would try a new spring and needle valve. I had an 028 that would load up at idle then I changed the needle and spring out and it was fine.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone with more knowledge will have to explain it. But it has to do with the springs inside. It can affect the idle.

No need to thank me I saw the tee trick from some one else here. @tree monkey has a video testing pop off pressure one 199 carb if I remember right. Should be the same for all carbs. Then again I could be completely wrong.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the above post super tuning a carb is one thing I've never done and only two people I know do it .One is a collector and the other has built some of the fastest over bore Husqvarnas in the US if not the world .You can Google the subject or You Tube it if you like .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Aahh, I see now. I installed a new needle and spring and set the lever height with the Walbro gauge. Doesn't mean I didn't foul something up though, will get into it some more tonight and see.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't been able to work on it for a couple of days, hope to do so tonight or tomorrow. When I'm not occupied with work and family I am getting ready for deer hunting, first muzzleloader is next weekend.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok my damn flippy cap broke on my mmws ms460 fuel side is true that 461 handle will fit just checking dont want to go to deal and look like a tool
Just order the twisty caps from DDave. They work great.
Twisty caps replace flippy caps.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What happens to a flippy is the o-ring swells up .---then you break it .I found the generic size and have about twenty of them in one of my parts drawers ,which one I can't say at the moment .

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you happen to find them and remember the size, I would like to buy a couple replacements myself.
Thanks Al. [emoji106]

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
metric 3.0 by 27 cheap on flea bay .Now this is for a 200T .I'm not sure what the others might be .I only have flippys on my 200's .

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh. Ok. Thank you. I was looking for caps for Stihl 460 and 260.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Untitled.jpg
Flippy fuel caps are the same across all models. Oil caps used to be smaller but are the same size as fuel caps on newer saws now.
And the 'O' ring is actually 25x3.5 according to MediaCAT. That said, a new flippy cap is only a couple bucks anyway. The twistys DDave sells are a very nice fit, though there isn't one to replace the smaller oil cap on the older, smaller saws yet, (afik). Only thing about the twistys is they have been known to be missing the 'O' ring. At least a couple DDave sent me when they first became available were. Guys seem to like em. I have had no problems with the flippys myself.