High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What should the base carburetor settings be on a MS460 with a dual port muffler. It ran good but I think I flooded it the second time I tried to run it. It put out a lot of blue smoke the first time I ran it.
26df2e93ed1952221e9af3c86db49ed4.jpg
71b2433b586c29eee2865f59d07bb783.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a couple decommissioned saws from the scrap metal yard. City works was cleaning out an old tool shed and they had dropped off a few dusty ones. I took a stab at this one. It appears to be earlier than my others. Clean bill of health thus far. Timing was good on my part. 5 min. later and they were in the crusher. Fortuitous.

Stihl 031 Early (1).JPG Stihl 031 Early (2).JPG

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I got my rubber sealing strips and have a vacuum pump with gauge and an OEM Echo pressure test pump with gauge. Now, is it possible to pressure test the saw by sealing the area between the air filter and carb? Or, should I take off the carb and seal off the intake boot? Also, how would I seal off the impulse line? Finally, what vacuum and pressure specs should I be looking for on my 024?
I'd seal between carb and boot so you can test the boot and a golf tee can block off the impulse. I got these slick little plastic clamp things from Dave that work great. And on the pressure and vacuum your looking more for how long it holds vs how much. No more than 10 psi is what I have found from reading.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a couple decommissioned saws from the scrap metal yard. City works was cleaning out an old tool shed and they had dropped off a few dusty ones. I took a stab at this one. It appears to be earlier than my others. Clean bill of health thus far. Timing was good on my part. 5 min. later and they were in the crusher. Fortuitous.

View attachment 91358 View attachment 91359

You are a saint, and shame on whoever decided to pitch that saw. It was purchased with your tax dollars and anybody can see that it wasn't junk and had potential value.

Maybe we should start an ASPCA style fundraiser for rescuing old saws. Have commercials showing OPE members rescuing saws from scrapyards and dumpsters while a tearful narrator extols you to give. "Time is running out for these helpless and abandoned saws. Won't you pick up the phone right now and say, 'I won't standby and let old saws suffer any longer!' "

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
People give me grief for searching the dump piles for saws but I don't care. Person would be surprised to find out how many aren't dead. That one probably ran when they put on shelf just got replaced by new saw and new people working that could care less about the old junk on the shelf. Just clean the tool shed is all they're looking at.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I switched the aftermarket carburetor with a rebuilt oem carburetor. I should have known better than to try a cheap carburetor.

What carb did you try and where did you get it from?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard mixed reviews on aftermarket carbs. The ones definitive Dave sells or at least a lot of the ones he sells are true Zama's so probably good carbs. I there are people that complain about zamas some but I've had good luck with them. Stihl owns zama and stihl,husky and a whole bunch of others use them.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What carb did you try and where did you get it from?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don’t remember exactly where but was from some independent seller on eBay, I think it was hi lo carburetor. I had good luck with the first one from that seller. The lever on the needle have been set wrong, I didn’t look, I just swapped cleaned an oem carburetor. The saw wouldn’t idle with the Chinese carburetor, it kept going dead.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 91358 View attachment 91359
IMG_0163.PNG IMG_0162.PNG
Looks almost like mine but I have the older red top and old stihl symbol. Don't know if they made the cast # tops at the same time as the metal tags or not. Maybe whatever they happened to grab for a top as they were building them?

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone use a 6202 bearing from a industrial supplier? It seems to be sticking out into the case a little bit on a MS440.