J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've now got myself 3 autotune saws, the 550mk2, 572, 592 and I see often in discussions and posts about firmware updates.. my question is: does anyone have a good idea of exactly what the firmware is? I figure it might be sorta like software updates on a app or something but I was looking for any input.
Does the new firmware perhaps have different tuning parameters? Does it change the running characteristics? I could see that as a possibility and that maybe the saw would then run better after the update.
I was considering that perhaps they might be able to come up with new tunes or spark advance curves (autotune does change spark timing doesn't it?) That might make more power, but I also considered that at some point the EPA might get involved and force detuning or lean-tune update parameters.. I was just trying to get an idea of what the firmware actually does and what effects the updates may or could potentially have on the tune, just to try to learn a bit more about them.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure it might be sorta like software updates on a app or something
I had a few customers come in talking about their relatively new Husky saw with autotune all of the sudden not working correctly or would not start. They took it in to a shop that had the connector and software (we didn't have it) hooked up the saws and were told that it needed a firmware upgrade. Once the new firmware was flashed then the saws started up and ran fine. Some people don't have a problem with this, others don't want to be out in the middle of the forest cutting when the saw decides it needs a firmware upgrade. For some, this is why they stick with regular carb saws. Autotune saws are great saws, but if you will be out a ways or needing to get work done, have a backup handy.

J.Noss

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a few customers come in talking about their relatively new Husky saw with autotune all of the sudden not working correctly or would not start. They took it in to a shop that had the connector and software (we didn't have it) hooked up the saws and were told that it needed a firmware upgrade. Once the new firmware was flashed then the saws started up and ran fine. Some people don't have a problem with this, others don't want to be out in the middle of the forest cutting when the saw decides it needs a firmware upgrade. For some, this is why they stick with regular carb saws. Autotune saws are great saws, but if you will be out a ways or needing to get work done, have a backup handy.
I've heard this too but haven't experienced it yet but I don't have many hours on my saws.. mine are still as they came outta the box software-wise, the dealer I bought from never even plugged em in.
But that would make one think that there's a built-in program that causes running problems every so many hours to force a visit, but you'd then think that ALL of a certain model/year would be that same way.. perhaps only Husqvarna management truly knows the answer to these questions, I thought maybe dealers might have heard more through the grapevine so to say about what actually the autotune is doing and what the updates are changing, one would guess possibly spark timing, fuel curves maybe even spark rev-limiter could be adjusted if the autotune were capable of controlling those.. would be great for a computer expert to set-up an at-home autotune plug-in software update/scanning device that we could play with them ourselves

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But that would make one think that there's a built-in program that causes running problems every so many hours to force a visit
I don't think that is is as I do know several people with autotuned 572s that have not had any issues. It might be that something in the saws mechanics gets out of whack where there is a mismatch between the tolerances and the saw shuts down to protect itself. Possibly when the firmware is updated, the system goes through what the saw settings are at and readjusts the parameters so the saw runs properly. Basically using a 3rd party to vet the situation and makes an adjustment from there. That's just a guess though.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The early five series saws were rushed out with programming flaws and/or carburetor flaws. They had some running problems.

The new truck I bought last spring had a similar issue. If it's software needed an update and the cellular connection was compromised during the download, it drained the battery trying to finish it.

Welcome to the world of need...

Adam G

Zigzag failures +4
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my question is: does anyone have a good idea of exactly what the firmware is?
So my understanding is that firmware is the operating system that the software operates upon.

Think if it like MS Dos for older Windows products or maybe even newer products as well… I could be wrong about MS Dos on newer products though… because I’m an apple user.
In essence the “hardware” of the product needs a go between ie “firmware” to run the “software” which is either an algorithm with parameters or a program with a map built into the data.

The reason for the no starts or hard starts due to firmware updates is a murky subject…
I have had a few conversations with engineers at Husqvarna about their auto tune tech with no real answers on the subject, they usually point to a PowerPoint presentation about their tech…

I’m of the mind that the firmware updates are required because or either a corrupted file stored in “microprocessor” or a faulty “flash” from the factory, and yes I have seen brand new chainsaws require a “reflash” out of the box.