STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about that 031 pump? Are they different then the 038-048 pump?

I seem to recall you asking this question somewhere else recently..., perhaps in an 045/056 discussion? Anyway, the answer is yes and no. The 1113-640-3201 031 pump assembly itself is used on the following saws...

Untitled1.jpg
And as explained a couple posts ago, the 1119-640-3200 042 pump is common only to the following saws according to its
part number...

Untitled2.jpg
That said, the 1117-640-3001 pump housing and all of its components are common to all of em...

Untitled3.jpg

So what gives, you ask? The worm gear is the difference between the two part numbers for what is otherwise the exact same pump assembly among all the saws above. The odd saw out is the 028, though its pump does share the 1119-640-7100 worm
gear used for the 038, 042, 048, and MS380...

Untitled4.jpg

The pumps themselves are durable and are easy to service with only a couple 'O' rings and a shaft seal typically needing replaced during a tear down. The weak spot for this setup is and always will be the pin drive arrangement for the spur gear on the 030, 031, 032, 045, and 056. The pins and cover washer they ride in will wear and eventually fail. The fix is usually easy if one uses the correct combination of cover washer, pin, spur gear and thrust washer. The wrong combination of spur gear and thrust washer (or no thrust washer) can allow the drive pin to ride directly against the oil seal creating a seal failure in fairly short order. There are two versions of spur gears for an 056, each with a different sized thrust washer. One version is for the early PTO side bearing and seal, the other for the later style bearing and seal.

The 028, 038, 042, and 048 used a more reliable oiler drive arrangement which utilized a worm gear installed directly over an extended spur of the clutch drum on both spur and rim drive sprockets to drive the pump gear.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
--and the drive gears can be a kicker too .I've got one piece drum and spur,replaceable spur plus rim drive .I was constantly buying the wrong gears by not paying attention .Duh again .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And Stihl didn't exactly make it easy on their dealers to figure these things out, either. I can't even imagine tryin' to sort out everything above using old manuals or microfiche. Hell, even most of today's dealers wouldn't have a clue. Pretty much still on our own now like we were then!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was easier after I got the dealers book and micro fiche plus a CD with the IPL's . My problem was simply reading things incorrectly from e-bay . I've got the McCulloch stuff in the big black book,plus micro plus a CD .Some Homelite in a book ,no CD .Husqvarna on a CD .No Poulan except a few somebody was kind enough to send me and no Partner except what I could find on "ChainsawR "

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of years actually more than a couple now a group of us were copy and sending a whole bunch of stuff to Mike Acres and Magnus to have a repository of IPL's .I don't actually know what happened but I heard Stihl got a burr up their butt about intellectual property .I have words for that but I'll refrain .:bash:

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the 048 got here couple days ago. it is like new in n out. thanks to bbb for doin the leg work.
runs n oils good. comp feels healthy, no # yet.
7 digit sn, makin me think it's early one. has slot screws everywhere, and smaller of 2 carbs ive read bout bein used.
no pics but will get some soon, once it's ready to go w/b&c on it.
jug looks perfect on ex side [thru plug hole] & piston is clean. no carbon.
thanks for the responses, & ipl/manual. came w/brake kit, that needs installed, operator manual, nice windsor speed tip w/almost all the lettering intact.
thinkin this one has very little use.
not a "u suck" deal, but one ive been wantin.

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
e338b9614668e740545cb1edf79b2e65.jpg
2631b09ad28f5bdc11e0dc28cc85728f.jpg
894c88c471161df9d2219dd8cbdc7780.jpg

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the puller came. I didn’t realize I was dealing with farmertec. Someone isn’t have screwed up the design. The crank shaft end extends too far into the tool and the center bolt doesn’t even catch the internal threaded section.

Do I send it back or just eat it the $6 and buy a different style? Anyone else have these problems.

Jesse Wilder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello all. New to the forum. I'm a fan of Stihls. Have been for a while. I have several, but I am down to my 028 Woodboss as my last one running. I'll list my others here and what I "think" I know might be wrong with them. Any and all help on how to fix it would be great. I want one of my big ones running again!

Stihl 028 woodboss:
My faithful little "trim saw" with 16" bar. I've been using it for everything since its the only one still running.

Stihl 045 AV:
My dad used this for years til somebody put the wrong mix fuel in it. I think it got 16:1 or 32:1 instead of 50:1. Once it shut off, we realized what had happened. This was like 20 years ago and it hasn't been fooled with since.

Stihl 046 Magnum:
Best $100 bill I ever spent. Bought it at a pawn shop and used it for about 10 years. It broke a piece of carbon loose from the compression release and scored the cyl wall. I bought a new piston/cyl and put it in. It ran good for about 1-2 hours run time after that, then acted like it locked up. Not sure what's up with that.

Stihl 064:
Kind of stumbled into this one. I was at a pawn shop looking at a log splitter for $600. I told him I would take it if he would throw in the 064 I saw on the shelf. I was shocked when they said "deal!" haha I used it only a few times before it quit running on me. Just kind of slowed down and stopped. after that it would crank over, but not try to start. Would LOVE to get this one going.

Stihl 075:
What can you say about a saw that has a 111cc motor? haha My grandpa bought this when he logged off some of his timber in Vermont. He gave it to me before he passed away. It didn't run when I got it from him, but I would LOVE to have it going for nostalgia more than anything. But you better believe I'd use it if I had it running.

Ok, best case there is a Stihl expert near me here in East TN that would help me look at them. Sure, I could take them to a shop and "have them fixed", but I want to do it myself. I need a little guidance to get going, and then I'm confident I could handle it. I've always worked on my own stuff. I've rebuilt several motors for other stuff, but chainsaws are a new field for me. If there isn't a nearby guru that can help, can anybody point me in the direction of where to start? Which of what I described would be the (possibly) easiest to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, best case there is a Stihl expert near me here in East TN that would help me look at them. Sure, I could take them to a shop and "have them fixed", but I want to do it myself. I need a little guidance to get going, and then I'm confident I could handle it. I've always worked on my own stuff. I've rebuilt several motors for other stuff, but chainsaws are a new field for me. If there isn't a nearby guru that can help, can anybody point me in the direction of where to start? Which of what I described would be the (possibly) easiest to fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I’m definitely not a “Stihl expert” however I’ve worked on a few saws of various name brands including Stihls. East, TN is a big place could you narrow that down a little? I’m in Knoxville and would gladly help if I can. Welcome to the Forum.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 045 should have nothing wrong with it from a heavy mix only no oil should do damage. Wouldn’t doubt a new plug and cleaned carb would make it run again. What kind of piston/cylinder kit did you use on the 046? That one could have had a piece of the skirt break off and end up in the crankcase. The 064 could have been running lean because of a bad tune and stuck the rings. Reason I think this is it slowed to a stop then will crank but not fire. So a low/ no compression issue, if it has good compression then fuel delivery would be my next check. Clean carb and new lines ect you could also dump a little mix in plug hole and see if it will fire. These are just starting point ideas might be something completely different. Hard to diagnose stuff without the saw.

Jesse Wilder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 045 should have nothing wrong with it from a heavy mix only no oil should do damage. Wouldn’t doubt a new plug and cleaned carb would make it run again. What kind of piston/cylinder kit did you use on the 046? That one could have had a piece of the skirt break off and end up in the crankcase. The 064 could have been running lean because of a bad tune and stuck the rings. Reason I think this is it slowed to a stop then will crank but not fire. So a low/ no compression issue, if it has good compression then fuel delivery would be my next check. Clean carb and new lines ect you could also dump a little mix in plug hole and see if it will fire. These are just starting point ideas might be something completely different. Hard to diagnose stuff without the saw.
ok thanks for the ideas. I'll look into the 045 first.

Jesse Wilder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m definitely not a “Stihl expert” however I’ve worked on a few saws of various name brands including Stihls. East, TN is a big place could you narrow that down a little? I’m in Knoxville and would gladly help if I can. Welcome to the Forum.
I'm in Greeneville. About an hour from knoxville give or take, depending on which part of knox you are in. It would be worth a trip down with my saws if you would help me take a look sometime...