STIHL The Official Stihl Chainsaws Thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No impact necessary. Thread the puller into the threads on the flywheel and tighten the bolt until it pops. Once there's a fair amount of pressure applied, a crack of a hammer on the end of the bolt can pop it loose without needing to keep cranking on it excessively. A little heat certainly won't hurt. Just make sure the threads are clean and the puller is threaded in as far as it can go to minimize the risk of any threads stripping either on the puller or the flywheel.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The flywheel or the tool striped out? I’ll be careful and not use the impact. I can be patient. Might even try the heat gun.
Just the tool stripped out. The threads on the tool are much softer than the flywheel threads.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never have had any issues with mine. Use a pick and compressed air to clean the threads. Then I screw in the puller and use my cordless impact driver. Never had any issues and I think the vibration from the tool impacting helps loosen the flywheel. Never given me any issues

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to admit it's a very ingenious method to remove the flywheel .Only the Germans would come up with it as perhaps as a way to control repairs or sell specialty tools .They are kind of noted for such things you know. I've never had a problem removing one though even with my home grown tools .They aren't that damned smart .

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Surprized they don’t use any proprietary fasteners while they are at it. Speciality tools are bad enough. It’s like they don’t want you to work on it at home.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They like all German companies try to use innovative methods to maintain control of their products .They mostly all make good products but they'll never be able to control it .They've never paid attention to "Yankee" ingenuity .You can outfox a fox with a little thinking .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These Stihl specialty tools will be coming up soon in an on-line auction. Look for Higby Co. at http://www.backes-auction.com/upcoming-auctions

20181128_155230.jpg
20181128_155347.jpg
I have been helping the widow get the chainsaw related items sorted out, bought some saws & supplies, and she have donate some items to add to my museum (see the Vintage Chainsaw Museum thread for a few details).

I am just trying to help her advertise where it will get the most attention.

Mark

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These Stihl specialty tools will be coming up soon in an on-line auction. Look for Higby Co. at http://www.backes-auction.com/upcoming-auctions

View attachment 152272
View attachment 152273
I have been helping the widow get the chainsaw related items sorted out, bought some saws & supplies, and she have donate some items to add to my museum (see the Vintage Chainsaw Museum thread for a few details).

Mark
Very nice!!

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad, or maybe it’s good that it’s too far to go “shopping”. Wish her the best on the sale.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eddie Anderson who went by "Stihl number 1 "and was a trainer working for Stihl Virginia beach had a collection of Stihl specialty tools .He also had a good collection of saws which were not all Stihl .I wonder what ever happened to him .
I had sent a carb from a Stihl MS 200t to him that Adam Clark and myself thought at the time we had found out why that model of the Zama carb was failing .We were close but that wasn't it .Eddie sent me the latest addition of the Zama C1Q which I put on the "super bee" and it never ran any better from the factory setting --I've never readjusted it .

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 152272
View attachment 152273

Mark

Mark any additional info on “Combination Oregon 511A & double Silvey chain saw sharpening stand” ? I saw some discussion about this on Facebook today but no real details.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will see Pat again next week, I will try to get some better photos.

View attachment 152585

Shipping to Canada could be very interesting...

Mark

Would have to be one of those "buy enough to make the trip down to pick up worth while"...

I wouldn't even know where to start with something like that but it is pretty cool.

That Diagnostic kit should be of interest to a few different people.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark any additional info on “Combination Oregon 511A & double Silvey chain saw sharpening stand” ? I saw some discussion about this on Facebook today but no real details.

I will see Pat again next week, I will try to get some better photos.

View attachment 152585

Shipping to Canada could be very interesting...

Mark

I like that.

Are you looking for a Silvey Round Grinder Gary?

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eddie is still active, he recently posted on my "Vintage Chainsaw Museum" thread with some photos of his new display shed over on AS.

Mark

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like that.

Are you looking for a Silvey Round Grinder Gary?

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

Not really, just like looking at cool stuff and dreaming about setting up the shop with all the cool stuff. From the original description didn't know if round or square...

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7423e4acf6df2888197da18fc26fccd9.jpg

$5.59 shipped to my door. How can they even buy the raw materials much less get it to my house for that price.

The thing about free shipping, is that it takes forever. I ordered the damn part on nov 22 and the estimated shipping date is dec 1-dec27. I guess my shipment delivery date is based on the trade winds.