The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a bit early but I just run the planter.

All kinds of planters & seeders rolling around here.

Hopefully I won’t have to plant any beans this year. Chase is going to run two of those 6/5 Kinzes on beans, they started on those today as well.

I am content to sit in the 7810 pulling the 12/23 planting corn.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I caught up to Pops and followed him for a while until I got distracted attacking some brush.
IMG_0990.jpeg

This is my rock. It is mine because it’s in my skid loader bucket. Would you like it to be your rock ? You can have it but you gotta drag it back out of the lake I placed it in for safekeeping.
IMG_0993.jpeg

Big John looks pretty sharp since he’s still clean. Give it another couple weeks of tillage and he’ll look like a sandbox with wheels lol. Hopefully the fancy wax treatment I gave him this winter will make spring cleanup easier.
IMG_0994.jpeg

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please welcome my first hatched this year!

View attachment 415909 View attachment 415910
How vulnerable are ducks compared to say, chickens Wilhelm? Always liked the idea of ducks, but know nothing about their behavior. I have guinea hens, and they are a bunch of jerks at times, and they will harass the chickens enough that the chickens avoid them. Would duck have a problem with that? Would be nice if the kicked the guineas butts. Lol

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How vulnerable are ducks compared to say, chickens Wilhelm? Always liked the idea of ducks, but know nothing about their behavior. I have guinea hens, and they are a bunch of jerks at times, and they will harass the chickens enough that the chickens avoid them. Would duck have a problem with that? Would be nice if the kicked the guineas butts. Lol
The ducks I have are Indian Runner Ducks.
They are very humble in their needs and tolerate other animals.
They are clean freaks though, so You have to enable them the means to bathe, a little 50 liter tub recessed into the ground does it for my 7 ducks.
I collect rain water and change their tub water 1 or 2 time a week, they don't like stinky muddy water for their grooming.
The males can behave cocky when showing off but they don't have the beak strength to harm a chicken.

These ducks will eat nearly any bug they encounter, they are notorious for eating slugs and go by the nickname "Cleaner Ducks".
In some areas You can "rent" Runner Duck flocks to clean Your garden from insects, bugs, slugs - they do little to no damage to plants and they don't dig nor scratch.

Health wise, they seem sturdy/resilient.
We did have 3 females die on us spread over an extended period of time - we do not know why.
Thankfully our flock renewed with 4 young females from last year.
I now have 5 females, one of which is a senior, and 2 senior males - and they seem to get along perfectly fine.

Their eggs are quite big and they are yummy, You can expect up to 1 egg daily per female.
They pack no meat though, they are just bred to be hyperactive - and their high egg production certainly keeps them slender too.

We consider them pets.
They are fun to watch and they are curious birds so they'll be under Your feet when You are doing something in their habitat.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are clean freaks though, so You have to enable them the means to bathe, a little 50 liter tub recessed into the ground does it for my 7 ducks.
I collect rain water and change their tub water 1 or 2 time a week, they don't like stinky muddy water for their grooming.
The males can behave cocky when showing off but they don't have the beak strength to harm a chicken.

These ducks will eat nearly any bug they encounter, they are notorious for eating slugs and go by the nickname "Cleaner Ducks".
In some areas You can "rent" Runner Duck flocks to clean Your garden from insects, bugs, slugs - they do little to no damage to plants and they don't dig nor scratch.

We did have 3 females die on us spread over an extended period of time - we do not know why.
I now have 5 females, one of which is a senior, and 2 senior males - and they seem to get along perfectly fine.

Their eggs are quite big and they are yummy, You can expect up to 1 egg daily per female.
They pack no meat though, they are just bred to be hyperactive - and their high egg production certainly keeps them slender too.

We consider them pets.
They are fun to watch and they are curious birds so they'll be under Your feet when You are doing something in their habitat.
Thanks Wilhelm, I am considering adding ducks with the next chicken batch. We are down to 5 hens now. We can't add to the flock as they are carriers of a respiratory disease that affects chickens. So these will have to run its course first. The guineas are very healthy and immune so they aren't going anywhere for a while. Going to do some research on ducks now as your info gives me hope they can be new pets here. Want to keep Dallas @dall complaining about me having named animals here. Lol

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Wilhelm, I am considering adding ducks with the next chicken batch. We are down to 5 hens now. We can't add to the flock as they are carriers of a respiratory disease that affects chickens. So these will have to run its course first. The guineas are very healthy and immune so they aren't going anywhere for a while. Going to do some research on ducks now as your info gives me hope they can be new pets here. Want to keep Dallas @dall complaining about me having named animals here. Lol
We had three ducks several years ago that went on walks with me. Neighbors hunting dogs got loose and killed them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had three ducks several years ago that went on walks with me. Neighbors hunting dogs got loose and killed them.
Runner Ducks can be trained to respond to a person, sound, call.
If multiple persons want them to obey a whistle is apparently used.

I call them and they come running to me.
But someone else calling them they do not respond to their voice.
I have spent A LOT of time in my back yard these couple past months, they know I will have something to eat for them.

So sorry for Your ducks! :confused:

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

We consider them pets.
How many months out of the year do they lay?