jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where did that iron come from? If you wanting to use it on a 3038 it just might outweigh the tractor as a 2038 is 3000 lbs without a loader so probably 3700lbs or so.
I cleaned up a scrap pile in a grove last summer and they were in there. The whole works with the match deal weighs around 850lbs so it’d be about right. I rolled each of them on a bathroom scale and added them up lol.

It’s going to be concrete in a 55gal barrel. 40gal or so will be 750lbs and that seems like enough. I have a few hundred yards of mud I want to pour this summer and I’m sure in there will be extra so the mud will be “free” so win win.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They sure look bigger. My ex father in law has a 450lb anvil and those look much heavier but heck obviously I am wrong.

As for drums they are getting harder to come by here. I was waiting on a guy to bring me a load but he has flaked out twice.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When the hell were they born?

Get ahead of the game................and no these are not green Cheerios. The calves and mommas do not get any "cheer" from them.

View attachment 417092
Everybody likes a nut fry, except maybe to donators of the nuts…

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They sure look bigger. My ex father in law has a 450lb anvil and those look much heavier but heck obviously I am wrong.

As for drums they are getting harder to come by here. I was waiting on a guy to bring me a load but he has flaked out twice.
Oil is getting to be cheaper in jugs. I’m not using barrels as much as I used to (drums)

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There won’t be any of that action for awhile around here. It’s been raining off/on for over 10 days now. I had 1.25” last night, Chase said he had 2.50”

Guessers are calling for more Wednesday night & Thursday

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There won’t be any of that action for awhile around here. It’s been raining off/on for over 10 days now. I had 1.25” last night, Chase said he had 2.50”

Guessers are calling for more Wednesday night & Thursday
It is looking like 1993 all over again.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is looking like 1993 all over again.
I was just out of high school then, if I recall correctly the rainfall was more plentiful & abundant then. I believe that there was a 60 span that it rained on 58 of those days somewhere in Iowa.

Some fellas came down from northern Iowa with equipment to custom plant/drill that year. I remember them doing some for Dad.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just out of high school then, if I recall correctly the rainfall was more plentiful & abundant then. I believe that there was a 60 span that it rained on 58 of those days somewhere in Iowa.

Some fellas came down from northern Iowa with equipment to custom plant/drill that year. I remember them doing some for Dad.
I worked for the US Army Corps of Engineers from 1991-1995 at our local Lock and Dam on the muddy Mississippi. I was in the thick of the 1993 crap. We also farm right there with some ground that is not behind the levee. The funny is we actually got one field planted that was not behind the levee. Of course it flooded out later. In my opinion the 1993 flood turned some farmers into lazy folks. Prior to that everyone strived to get a crop in no matter what it took. I can remember Dad planting corn as late as Father's Day. Heck you will never see that now. In 1993 some discovered the prevented planting payments and took advantage of it. They drug their feet hoping to hit the magic day when they could claim it was too late to plant and just collect the payment. Of course there were thousands of acres that did get planted that year only to be drowned out but there were also thousands that could have been planted and not been drowned out.

Flash forward to about 2010-2012 (not sure exactly what year) We had a average spring but right up next to the levee was some wet spots from high river levels. I had a neighbor that had a real nice chunk close to me that he could not plant due to seep water. The field was about 160 acres but there was around 8-10 acres unplanted. I knew I was going to be short on hay so I asked him if I could plant Millet on it around June 20 when it dried out. He said no because he had taken the PPP. He did say there was about the same size spot on another farm down the pumping station road I could plant as he was not able to get a payment on it for whatever reason. Well my son and I worked that ground manay times to get it into condition then drilled Millet in it. After that it did not ran more than a tenth. It was a total waste.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good ole 750. That was the first "modern" dozer I ran after the 1949 IH TD-9.

I take it you do not do a lot of tree clearing with it though since it is missing a key part. :)

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a buddy that hooks his unlimited class pulling tractor to a field cultivator and uses it a little bit to be able to call it a tractor and use the whole mess as a farm expense lol. I was there a few years ago when he was pulling an 18’ field cultivator at something dumb like 20mph making a huge mess. It was great. Beers disappeared and good times were had.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two neighbors that pulled in the 1980's. One ran a V-12 Packard that was not all that successful. The other had 454 Chevy's and kicked ass. He was still doing so as late as 2015 finishing near the top.

This is video of him at Louisville in 1988. He is at the 1:40 mark. He was the leader at the time but I am not sure he won that year. I do remember watching him win the Iowa State Fair pull.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't band mine at birth. They grow faster as a bull. At 400 or so we castrate them and turn em back in with their mommas. Helps with weight loss. Ween them a few weeks later.
I do not disagree with that at all. I agree they do gain better as bulls but my problem is being able to get them in and cut them then turn them back out. You ever use a cordless drill on them? I posted a video of that method on "another site" and got my boobie in a wringer because it was too graphic.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not disagree with that at all. I agree they do gain better as bulls but my problem is being able to get them in and cut them then turn them back out. You ever use a cordless drill on them? I posted a video of that method on "another site" and got my boobie in a wringer because it was too graphic.
We give them a round of shots including tetanus and band them with the Callicrate bander. Works real well. Takes a few days for their nuggets to fall off, but never a problem.