Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This year they started laying end of February, start of March.
Last year the one remaining senior female stopped laying end of October, but I am not 100% certain.
It depends on food supply & quality, they have an extremely high metabolism.

My sister has 3 senior females and since start of March she is collecting 3 eggs per day.
I am thinking that my ducks may have a secret nest in the back yard they are in since I am getting irregular egg counts from none to three per day.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If You take the eggs away/out of the nest and live in a warm bug rich climate these ducks will technically lay all year round up to 365 eggs a year!
These are insanely amazing birds.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If You have the surroundings to keep them, get Yourself a small flock!
They are awesomely gorgeous and ask very little attention. 🥰

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Google claims eating Horse Radish is "addictive".
I have no idea why they'd make such a statement! :thinking: :rolleyes:

IMG_20240413_191732.jpg IMG_20240413_191714.jpg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This year they started laying end of February, start of March.
Last year the one remaining senior female stopped laying end of October, but I am not 100% certain.
It depends on food supply & quality, they have an extremely high metabolism.

My sister has 3 senior females and since start of March she is collecting 3 eggs per day.
I am thinking that my ducks may have a secret nest in the back yard they are in since I am getting irregular egg counts from none to three per day.
I know very little about ducks but that sounds like some very productive birds. You are obviously caring very well for them and feeding them right. My grandparents raised ducks but I never knew much about them other than the outhouse hole had a bunch of duck eggs in it

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How high can they fly?
They don't! ;)

They take a full speed run start flapping and kinda glide a couple meters distance no more than 1 meter off the ground.
They are funny like that, they hop up and down stuff never utilizing their wings.
Hopping down they often land on their butts and slide down.
They are also kinda funny clumsy , they trip, stand on their own feet, don't care about potentially dangerous situations.
They're FUNNY!!! 😊

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don't! ;)

They take a full speed run start flapping and kinda glide a couple meters distance no more than 1 meter off the ground.
They are funny like that, they hop up and down stuff never utilizing their wings.
Hopping down they often land on their butts and slide down.
They are also kinda funny clumsy , they trip, stand on their own feet, don't care about potentially dangerous situations.
They're FUNNY!!! 😊

I wondered I knew they preferred to run but I assumed they can fly in short spurts like a chicken. Generally I was able to contain most chickens in 5 ft fence but you always had escapees. My Bronze Breasted Turkeys could not get their fat breasts off the floor. My Eastern Wild Red Turkeys flew like no other.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My ducks are contained by a mere 30ish" tall fence, they do not even attempt to get over it.
But they are smart, they know where the gate is and they recognize when it is open - the sprint they perform to get to the open gate is something to behold!!!

Just to be clear, their "habitat" is spacious, safe and clean with food and water provided.
But they love to explore new to them areas.
They always return to the back yard on their own so we actually let them roam free occasionally.

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Never seen bag oil before. I still get quarts for the small stuff when the bulk truck comes out and leaves 250gal of 15w-40 and 200gal of hytrans every spring. Is there a piece savings to bag oil or is it just all that’s available ?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Never seen bag oil before. I still get quarts for the small stuff when the bulk truck comes out and leaves 250gal of 15w-40 and 200gal of hytrans every spring. Is there a piece savings to bag oil or is it just all that’s available ?
Rollback Walmart. It was cheaper than a drum at my oil place

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loaded the lawnmower onto the Freightliner …..
IMG_1028.jpeg

Hooked onto my dump wagon and loaded it with chicken pooooooooooop. The tractor will be the portable diesel powered hydraulic power pack to dump the trailer when I get to the field. I have a 12v hydraulic unit but it took almost 3 minutes to dump the trailer and I am too impatient for that Plus I wanted a few thousand pounds of weight on the truck so the 12-tons of poo isn’t tossing me around as much. I was going to haul all day today and tomorrow but we got almost 2” of much needed rain here so we won’t be doing much in the fields for a little while again.IMG_1029.jpeg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loaded the lawnmower onto the Freightliner …..
View attachment 416360

Hooked onto my dump wagon and loaded it with chicken pooooooooooop. The tractor will be the portable diesel powered hydraulic power pack to dump the trailer when I get to the field. I have a 12v hydraulic unit but it took almost 3 minutes to dump the trailer and I am too impatient for that Plus I wanted a few thousand pounds of weight on the truck so the 12-tons of poo isn’t tossing me around as much. I was going to haul all day today and tomorrow but we got almost 2” of much needed rain here so we won’t be doing much in the fields for a little while again.View attachment 416361
We missed the bulk of the storms that hit you folks to the north.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too but the price was right and they delivered to my shop free.

You hate Sam’s club too? Cause I kinda like Sam’s
I am just joshing you.:) I hate Wal-Mart but I have spent an exorbitant amount of money with them due to the free delivery. Unfortunately I have had too many disputes with the India phone support over screwed up deliveries so I am no longer buying from them. I still use Amazon 3-4 times a week.

As for Sam's club I went to one twice on the Iowa side of the river. I was not impressed. They built one on the Illinois side and it was out of business within a year.