High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

82 year old breaks-in the Mastermind 395XP!

Wood Duck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just wanted to post up today's experience with my father and my "new" saw. I got a nannered 395 from Randy over a year ago. Unfortunately, a week after I received it, I fell off the barn roof and broke both arms, my collarbone, 8 vertebrae in my neck and back, and most of my ribs. I hadn't even put the bar on it yet, because it was WAY too hot outside for me to want to run a saw for anything. A $50,000 helicopter ride to a trauma center, over a month in the hospital, and 6 more months of rehab and conditioning before I could returned to work late this Spring. My 82 year old father called me today, and asked if I could bring my "big" saw over to buck up a 32"x 18 foot oak log for firewood. I installed a 36" Tsumura bar with a new X-Cut full comp chain. (The only 36" chain I had left, since I rarely use one anymore.) I warmed it up for a few minutes, and tinkered with the oiler adjustment to get her slinging enough oil off the bar to suit me. Turned around, and he was standing there with his leather-gloved hands outstretched- " I wanna do it." The Old Man gets his way with me, especially if Mom's out of sight, so I nodded and handed it over. He knew it was a new saw, so he was babying the throttle and bogged it down to a stop halfway through the first cut. I hollered over to him "Pull the trigger and let her sing!" And sing she did. He walked down that big 'ol dead oak log, cutting it to firewood length, and making chips fly. He shut it off, turned the saw sideways to look at it again, and said "Gorilla Balls". (Saws get named around here if they're worth keeping.) He *b-worded about the sawdust in his dentures afterwards, because he was smiling the whole time! LOL! So when I got home this evening, I got the vinyl label maker out and christened the 395 with it's official title, right underneath Randy's sticker. I didn't think he'll mind! I sat it back in the shop next to "Monkey Ass", the 550XP Randy built for me. It's my go-to saw for 90% of what I'm normally cutting. I don't like packing anything heavier than I have to to get the job done. His experience today, and my memory of it, was worth every penny I paid for that saw. Thank you again Randy, you've done right by me.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great story, Sorry about your unfortunate injury but glad your up and able to work. Your dad sounds
like quite an individual. Nice to spend time with the one who created you and let him run the saw
and get her broke in.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of Gorilla Balls, it seems to me that they both have a pair

Lot of adversity to get to this day…

I don’t think they make them like that very much anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wanted to post up today's experience with my father and my "new" saw. I got a nannered 395 from Randy over a year ago. Unfortunately, a week after I received it, I fell off the barn roof and broke both arms, my collarbone, 8 vertebrae in my neck and back, and most of my ribs. I hadn't even put the bar on it yet, because it was WAY too hot outside for me to want to run a saw for anything. A $50,000 helicopter ride to a trauma center, over a month in the hospital, and 6 more months of rehab and conditioning before I could returned to work late this Spring. My 82 year old father called me today, and asked if I could bring my "big" saw over to buck up a 32"x 18 foot oak log for firewood. I installed a 36" Tsumura bar with a new X-Cut full comp chain. (The only 36" chain I had left, since I rarely use one anymore.) I warmed it up for a few minutes, and tinkered with the oiler adjustment to get her slinging enough oil off the bar to suit me. Turned around, and he was standing there with his leather-gloved hands outstretched- " I wanna do it." The Old Man gets his way with me, especially if Mom's out of sight, so I nodded and handed it over. He knew it was a new saw, so he was babying the throttle and bogged it down to a stop halfway through the first cut. I hollered over to him "Pull the trigger and let her sing!" And sing she did. He walked down that big 'ol dead oak log, cutting it to firewood length, and making chips fly. He shut it off, turned the saw sideways to look at it again, and said "Gorilla Balls". (Saws get named around here if they're worth keeping.) He *b-worded about the sawdust in his dentures afterwards, because he was smiling the whole time! LOL! So when I got home this evening, I got the vinyl label maker out and christened the 395 with it's official title, right underneath Randy's sticker. I didn't think he'll mind! I sat it back in the shop next to "Monkey Ass", the 550XP Randy built for me. It's my go-to saw for 90% of what I'm normally cutting. I don't like packing anything heavier than I have to to get the job done. His experience today, and my memory of it, was worth every penny I paid for that saw. Thank you again Randy, you've done right by me.

Dammit Cameron. Sorry to hear of the trouble you have had.....but that's a great story sir.

Gorilla Balls huh? I fughin love it.

Wood Duck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dammit Cameron. Sorry to hear of the trouble you have had.....but that's a great story sir.

Gorilla Balls huh? I fughin love it.
You gotta take the bitter with the sweet, and today was SWEET! He was in such a good move afterwards, he even let me run my Kioti NX5510 and EA grapple in the woodlot for a while! I bought it brand new a few years ago, and he started building a shed to house it the next week. 72" tooth bucket, 60" EA Wicked root rake grapple, 80" box blade with hydraulic rippers and hydraulic top-link, 72" pallet forks, etc... But along with the monthly payment to the bank, I do get occasional visitation rights to it, brief though they may be. Which is a SWEET deal for me! :banana:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gotta take the bitter with the sweet, and today was SWEET! He was in such a good move afterwards, he even let me run my Kioti NX5510 and EA grapple in the woodlot for a while! I bought it brand new a few years ago, and he started building a shed to house it the next week. 72" tooth bucket, 60" EA Wicked root rake grapple, 80" box blade with hydraulic rippers and hydraulic top-link, 72" pallet forks, etc... But along with the monthly payment to the bank, I do get occasional visitation rights to it, brief though they may be. Which is a SWEET deal for me! :banana:

You're a lucky man. :)

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rough beginning, great ending.

I was piddling with saws today, mounting bars since most of them have been recently shipped or hauled, sharpening chains, and testing behind the shed. It’s hard to pick a favorite, but my MMWS 6100 is way up there. Heavy, but smooth, torquey with RPMs, easy to start, holds a tune, snappy, sounds baaaad…