Country flag

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You boys know anything bout vacuum planters. ? Got a new one. New to us. 3660 kinze edgevac meters. I’m too f’n stupid to set it right. Doing fantastic with heavy seeds like 55-65 pound per sack. Get down to 54 pounds and my god the whole thing acts like a maniac. I can adjust vacuum pressure but not much difference Got some brushes to fiddle with but I can’t seem to get them right unless I have big seeds. Madness

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m 2 /3 thousand seed/acre too high when I get into the real light stuff. I can’t find uniformity. I know it’s there. These things will plant.

deedskelly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mastermind, how big around are the horns you are planning to take off ? I took a set off 2 weeks ago,you can always sear to stop the blood. Watch out for holes in there heads in fly and rain time it can be a problem! I wish I was down there I’d take them off for you.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mastermind, how big around are the horns you are planning to take off ? I took a set off 2 weeks ago,you can always sear to stop the blood. Watch out for holes in there heads in fly and rain time it can be a problem! I wish I was down there I’d take them off for you.

About 1.5" or so. Not real big in diameter. She's a good looking cow for a Jersey.......so I've been undecided about cutting them. She does bully the bigger cows though......she knows what they are used for. LOL

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m 2 /3 thousand seed/acre too high when I get into the real light stuff. I can’t find uniformity. I know it’s there. These things will plant.

Actual pop or from the computer? How low have you went on the vacuum?

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 1.5" or so. Not real big in diameter. She's a good looking cow for a Jersey.......so I've been undecided about cutting them. She does bully the bigger cows though......she knows what they are used for. LOL

If you do anything just tip them. Without them those other cows will bully her. Fickle things those jerseys are in a beef herd.

deedskelly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Jerseys are timid,I started with all little knocked up Jersey and Gurnseys,but everyone I ever tipped in six months they were right back it again.Mastermind,if I was worried about it , I would cut them off at the end of fly time. My Grandpa always said it never gets to hot to cut a stud horse or to cold to dehorn a cow! Use to cut lots of studs in 90 degree weather and dehorn below freezing!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She's been running with these Angus for about three years now. They sorta got their pecking order figured out......

I'll probably just leave her alone. But that depends more on how she acts in the future than anything else.

Just good to hear more about these things from guys with a lot more experience.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She's been running with these Angus for about three years now. They sorta got their pecking order figured out......

I'll probably just leave her alone. But that depends more on how she acts in the future than anything else.

Just good to hear more about these things from guys with a lot more experience.

Maybe try a little dehorning paste, just to knock the tips off and dull the ends?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used dehorning paste on calves. It really works well.

Great link. Thanks.

Yes it is good stuff did you use a duct tape head piece to keep the cow from licking

De budding is the norm over here before calf is 7-days old but there’s always one or two that slip through

These old breed cattle with the curly horns are a pain but the de-tipping
With cheese wire is what usualy happens can be tricky sometimes