Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve never heard of Lysol for that. How do you mix or dilute it? Also do you have good luck with it? I had a old vet tell me once pinkeye would cause their eye to go out treated in 1 week or get better in 14 days untreated [emoji23]

I use the aerosol can stuff. Just drown the affected eye a few times.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah it’s prety contagious long grass and freekin flys are usual culprits for spreading its a pain when weaners and younstock get it they’ll loose weight and look awful you got the right idea treating them all

Over here another name for it is new forest eye , also ticks are abundant this summer

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20years ago it was a relief come spring get the cattle out on the pasture get there summer coats and look good , dry cows out on the wetter rougher pasture
Ready to calf go out looking for the half wild calves

Now it seems if there out all summer there’s alaways something trying too bring them down plus all the TB tests and work and low prices makes you think twice
About keeping going

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pink eye is strange, some years it’s terrible & other years seems nonexistent. I just helped my friend run thru 80 cow/calf pairs, he had 6 cows & 40 calves with it, some of the calves had it in both eyes. I think it was a combination of flies & from letting them graze in stemmy tough rye grass. The next day we ran 28 pairs thru & they didn’t have any pink eye but they weren’t grazing in rye. When we ran my brother’s thru he had one herd of 30 that had a couple cows & 4 calves with it, he had 1 bull, 3 cows & 3 calves with bad hooves in that bunch also. The other 2 bunches of 30 we ran thru had no pinkeye or bad hooves. I haven’t asked him if his last 2 bunches had any pink eye.

Last edited:

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of Lysol for that. How do you mix or dilute it? Also do you have good luck with it? I had a old vet tell me once pinkeye would cause their eye to go out treated in 1 week or get better in 14 days untreated [emoji23]

Yes, the yellow powder spray.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last edited:

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve used that with mixed results used to use Azamycin, not sure if that is spelled right,but they changed it. I know this sounds cruel but the old timers around here threw salt in there eyes,works about as good as anything ,short of treating them and sewing their eyes shut.

The old man rubbed salt in there eyes also, seemed to work pretty good back then. We also soaked there foot in gasoline for rot foot. That worked real good also.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag