Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am impressed. As we can not grow carrots here, As our ground has way too much clay in it.Your dirt looks damn good to me!!

That field is a little sandier than our main field, but we've got a pretty heavy soil here too. Plenty of clay. We do a fair amount of cover cropping to try to boost the organic matter, which seems to help. Normally we don't have this weed problem in the carrots, but we will get a hard crust on the soil from a heavy rain and then the clay baking in the sun. The carrots have trouble getting through it some seasons.

It's a nice crop for us in a sense, because we'll sell carrots and beets from this planting all the way into January, and still be eating them next summer. That said, they're a lot of work to weed and wash and it's not like they're worth a whole lot.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That field is a little sandier than our main field, but we've got a pretty heavy soil here too. Plenty of clay. We do a fair amount of cover cropping to try to boost the organic matter, which seems to help. Normally we don't have this weed problem in the carrots, but we will get a hard crust on the soil from a heavy rain and then the clay baking in the sun. The carrots have trouble getting through it some seasons.

It's a nice crop for us in a sense, because we'll sell carrots and beets from this planting all the way into January, and still be eating them next summer. That said, they're a lot of work to weed and wash and it's not like they're worth a whole lot.

Love beets, after last nights hail storm, I am not sure anymore. As it striped my squash and totaled my sweet corn. everything looks like it it is stripped.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love beets, after last nights hail storm, I am not sure anymore. As it striped my squash and totaled my sweet corn. everything looks like it it is stripped.
Damn Charlie, that sucks.
The last couple years, the weather has played hell with your garden.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Damn Charlie, that sucks.
The last couple years, the weather has played hell with your garden.

Yes, we checked it this morning, the late corn looked good until last night when we had a major hail storm yesterday. It trashed my squash and cukes. Plus it flattened and shredded my late sweet corn. As stated I will try to get pics. As it was just starting to tassel. ( aka ) One month late!!

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you think that she bloated.

I think she bloated because she died the day before I found her and it’s been in the high 80’s.

Awe man sorry to hear that Mike!

It stinks... she really stunk, but cows die...

Can't tell, is that a heifer! or old cow. never good to lose a cow.

She was a older cow.

Sorry to see that. We lost a lamb this week. Not fun, but much less of a loss than a cow.

It would be nice to have a good way to determining why a healthy looking animal Just dies..

Man that sucks. I shipped a couple old cows Monday. At least I won't have that view.

I’ve got one that need to take a ride. I really thought it was her when I seen one lying out.
Hopefully this Monday she’s headed to the sale.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm dealing with a pinkeye outbreak. Only a couple right now.....but I'm working on getting some meds in all of them asap.

Randy,
If i was closer to you I would come and help you work them.

Two years ago most of my cows had it and I ended up sending 38 head to the sale.

Pinkeye is no joke if left untreated. Definitely treat everyone and keep a close eye on them.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think she bloated because she died the day before I found her and it’s been in the high 80’s.

It stinks... she really stunk, but cows die...

She was a older cow.

It would be nice to have a good way to determining why a healthy looking animal Just dies..

I’ve got one that need to take a ride. I really thought it was her when I seen one lying out.
Hopefully this Monday she’s headed to the sale.
Slick Holsteins were bringing .60-.70 cents. Large frame cows the most. I had a light 1200 and light 1400 grass slick bring .42 &.52 cents. If you have a bull to cull now's the time. I saw a few bring in the .90's a lot of .80's.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy,
If i was closer to you I would come and help you work them.

Two years ago most of my cows had it and I ended up sending 38 head to the sale.

Pinkeye is no joke if left untreated. Definitely treat everyone and keep a close eye on them.

I appreciate that. I've got em cut into groups, medicated salt in their tubs. The two showing signs got their eyes sprayed out last night.

deedskelly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve used that with mixed results used to use Azamycin, not sure if that is spelled right,but they changed it. I know this sounds cruel but the old timers around here threw salt in there eyes,works about as good as anything ,short of treating them and sewing their eyes shut.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you guys typically use for pinkeye? Or better yet what does work?

I feed medicated salt, which usually keeps it away....but when it shows up, I spray Lysol in the affected eye, and give them a shot of LA200.

deedskelly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feed medicated salt, which usually keeps it away....but when it shows up, I spray Lysol in the affected eye, and give them a shot of LA200.

I’ve never heard of Lysol for that. How do you mix or dilute it? Also do you have good luck with it? I had a old vet tell me once pinkeye would cause their eye to go out treated in 1 week or get better in 14 days untreated [emoji23]