Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Croatia having a higher education grants You the right to receive a higher minimal paycheck just because You hold a diploma claiming You know $#it.

Also, if You do not have a degree in a certain "high education" work description You get a reduced paycheck as from what that job would pay an "educated" person - irregardless of the fact that You Master said work description through experience.
A missing piece of paper "claiming" that You know that job will rob You some 30% of the paycheck.

Reactions: Lnk

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Croatia having a higher education grants You the right to receive a higher minimal paycheck just because You hold a diploma claiming You know $#it.

Also, if You do not have a degree in a certain "high education" work description You get a reduced paycheck as from what that job would pay an "educated" person - irregardless of the fact that You Master said work description through experience.
A missing piece of paper "claiming" that You know that job will rob You some 30% of the paycheck.
This is how the institution of "education" offers insentive to indoctrinate. Let's be honest... What they really teach in schools these days is how to get in line, ans swollow the commie agenda. It has zero to do with skill. I dependant trade schools are about as good as it gets in the USA. However, absolutely nothing compares to experience.

Mack 880

Happy to Stihl be Here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i dont understand the overqualified.....if i am trying to get a job that i know im overqualified for, and im ok doing it. why dont they just hire you and the work gets done better and faster? i just want better work life balance and not have to drive 60 miles every day to get to a job that totally hates me.

I have hired overqualified people before, and it never turned out well.

They only worked the job to get by until they got something better. So we had to train them, insure them, and coach them - only to have them leave 6 months later.

Killed productivity during that time because a fully trained and capable person was put on the "training" track to bring the new guy up to speed. The best answer for us was to hire barely qualified and train them up. The cost was the same and the "barely qualified" would stay longer to build up "work experience" to prepare for the next job.

If they were good, they were paid well and they usually stayed onboard.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So I know not to move to Croatia! I don't have any college degree. I have many other certifications but none from a name brand university. I will tell you that I have worked with hundreds of people that have very high level degrees that can regurgitate all sorts of information but have no clue how to apply it to anything.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They only worked the job to get by until they got something better. So we had to train them, insure them, and coach them - only to have them leave 6 months later.

Killed productivity during that time because a fully trained and capable person was put on the "training" track to bring the new guy up to speed. The best answer for us was to hire barely qualified and train them up. The cost was the same and the "barely qualified" would stay longer to build up "work experience" to prepare for the next job.

I don't doubt that your experience is true. Thing is, there are alot of overqualified people who intentionally want to downgrade for a variety of reasons. Alot of them just want something less demanding. Or they find that the jobs they are qualified for pay the same or even less than the jobs they are overqualified for. For example, a master's degree is the de facto standard for my job and I have one. I love the line of work I'm in, but it's a tiny industry with very few openings that don't require you to move out of state and the pay sucks. My salary is under 40k a year and that is pretty average for the field, hence my second job. Most entry level trade jobs pay as much or more than I make. Hell, the guys who mow along the highways here make the same. But, if I want to change careers to something blue collar and hands on I would have to lie about my education and really play up the ten years I spent as a car mechanic to get anybody to take me seriously. I do in fact love the job I have, but it's a dead end in almost every respect and I would like to support my family better.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't doubt that your experience is true. Thing is, there are alot of overqualified people who intentionally want to downgrade for a variety of reasons. Alot of them just want something less demanding. Or they find that the jobs they are qualified for pay the same or even less than the jobs they are overqualified for. For example, a master's degree is the de facto standard for my job and I have one. I love the line of work I'm in, but it's a tiny industry with very few openings that don't require you to move out of state and the pay sucks. My salary is under 40k a year and that is pretty average for the field, hence my second job. Most entry level trade jobs pay as much or more than I make. Hell, the guys who mow along the highways here make the same. But, if I want to change careers to something blue collar and hands on I would have to lie about my education and really play up the ten years I spent as a car mechanic to get anybody to take me seriously. I do in fact love the job I have, but it's a dead end in almost every respect and I would like to support my family better.

My mom holds a master's degree in teaching high end mathematics. She was asked to come out of retirement to teach one year. She told me they had offered her a LOT of money to come back and she was seriously contemplating going back. I asked her what a lot of money was and I nearly died! The number writer on her contract I wouldn't even consider getting out of bed to deal with but it was a lot for her line of work.

Crazy how important teachers are but they don't get paid any more than a 15year old screwing up orders at McDonald's. I'm just thankful a lot of people like you and my mother show up to work and do an amazing job at your craft. There would be a lot of lost children without what you guys do.

Thank you!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I know not to move to Croatia! I don't have any college degree. I have many other certifications but none from a name brand university. I will tell you that I have worked with hundreds of people that have very high level degrees that can regurgitate all sorts of information but have no clue how to apply it to anything.
You might find some things easier to live with, I bet You'd like the food.

But, it is going downhill ever since Croatia introduced the Euro as its currency.

Annual income for a "normal" worker, barely 5 figures.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might find some things easier to live with, I bet You'd like the food.

But, it is going downhill ever since Croatia introduced the Euro as its currency.

Annual income for a "normal" worker, barely 5 figures.

Should have put an "LOL" there.

There are TONS of ridiculous problems in the U.S.A. for sure.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

i understand that too. me personally though i get bored with jobs. thats why i would take a lesser job just to do something new or different. its also why i liked climbing trees. each one was a different challenge

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the other thing is... i dont have a degree from a school. i have practicle experience and there are loads of jobs that i could do with ease. but the new hiring process rejects applications that dont check the degree box.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my job wouldnt be so bad if my company was the slightest bit caring. but they dont give two *s-wordes about anyone. greed is all they care about

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my job wouldnt be so bad if my company was the slightest bit caring. but they dont give to *s-wordes about anyone. greed is all they care about

That sucks and I'm sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately I hear that a lot from a lot of people. My company was the same way early on but the new CEO has made a 180 on that decision. My company knows without good, competent employees they won't make any money!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the other thing is... i dont have a degree from a school. i have practicle experience and there are loads of jobs that i could do with ease. but the new hiring process rejects applications that dont check the degree box.
I learned doing chit with my eyes closed but have no paper that says I sat on my a$$ in a class room to learn it, as such I technically do not know the stuff that I know. :(

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I learned doing chit with my eyes closed but have no paper that says I sat on my a$$ in a class room to learn it, as such I technically do not know the stuff that I know. :(

Damn, so are they required by law to pay you less because of no degree??

Reactions: Lnk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm cheap! Pizza and hotdog guy here! LOL!!

Plus, not a whole lotta bacon on that guy.
We have better pizza than the friggin Italians.
I was in Italy, the most bland food I ever ate!
And I do killer hot dogs on the BBQ.

Chicken wings?!

Damn, so are they required by law to pay you less because of no degree??
Not by law, rather by work contract negotiated between the employer and the workers union.
Yeah I know, that's f-ed up!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have better pizza than the friggin Italians.
I was in Italy, the most bland food I ever ate!
And I do killer hot dogs on the BBQ.

Chicken wings?!

Not by law, rather by work contract negotiated between the employer and the workers union.
Yeah I know, that's f-ed up!

I'd be willing to travel halfway across the globe for a good hotdog!

I've actually heard from a few people that have been to Italy and they have said the same.