Stihl 064 help

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me know if you want better pictures. I could use the wife's phone later... my phone is junk.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the cylinder, like I said I don't like the looks of the plating.
What do you guys think? @Mastermind

View attachment 121019View attachment 121020

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Ain't nothing wrong with that jug. I'd hand sand it with 320 grit to break the glaze a little, then run a scotch brite ball in it.

Some of these Cross jugs need a little work on the bottom bevel of the ex port. Aside from that they have been pretty good.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ain't nothing wrong with that jug. I'd hand sand it with 320 grit to break the glaze a little, then run a scotch brite ball in it.

Some of these Cross jugs need a little work on the bottom bevel of the ex port. Aside from that they have been pretty good.
That's great news, thank you thank you!!!!
So why does the intake side have such a shine to it? The plating isn't worn off? You can really see the contrast at the bottom of the cylinder. I haven't seen that before.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the plating were worn off it would likely look grey and dull, rather than shiny. The base material is an alloy; the plating is a form of nikasil or similar, depending on the manufacturer.
Thanks for the explanation.

The owner wants a little more power so I'm adding a dual port cover.
I was also considering advancing the timing a bit. How do these 064's respond to that?

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation.

The owner want a little more power so I'm adding a dual port cover.
I was also considering advancing the timing a bit. How do these 064's respond to that?
I've edited my reply, so as to not come across so blunt. My apoiges ;)
Most saws respond to a little timing advance, test cut a cookie with the new DP exhaust, but do check your tuning, then get the woodruff key file just shy of 20. Refit, as to the correct way. Give it a test cut in the same wood, bingo your saw cuts quicker, or its the same or slower.
If your not happy with the test cut take the key out and fit it the other way so you can't advance it, but make sure it's not retarded, like myself....:D Lol

Cheers

Last edited:

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've edited my reply, so as to not come across so blunt. My apoiges ;)
Most saws respond to a little timing advance, test cut a cookie with the new DP exhaust, but do check your tuning, then get the woodruff key file just shy of 20. Refit, as to the correct way. Give it a test cut in the same wood, bingo your saw cuts quicker, or its the same or slower.
If your not happy with the test cut take the key out and fit it the other way so you can't advance it, but make sure it's not retarded, like myself....:D Lol

Cheers
No worries. I didn't think you came across as being blunt.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably file the key a bit and advance the it. If it runs good, that's great i'll leave it. If it doesn't run good I put it back to stock and call it a day. I already have way to much time in this junker.:mad:

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the shim I made to work. I made it with hard plastic.

View attachment 120683View attachment 120682
Looks like the 064 has different dimensions. Shape the shim as needed.
My dealer doesn't have the early style tank vent I need and they are NLA for stihl.
I was wondering what model is your tank vent off of and did you have to do much modifying to get it to work?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dealer doesn't have the early style tank vent I need and they are NLA for stihl.
I was wondering what model is your tank vent off of and did you have to do much modifying to get it to work?
Mine is a rather recent 064 AV model (circa 1999?) and I made no changes at all to the tank vent. Here' a couple of Pics:
Stihl 064 AV.jpg

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a rather recent 064 AV model (circa 1999?) and I made no changes at all to the tank vent. Here' a couple of Pics:
View attachment 121243
Thanks for the pictures.
The first picture you posted on page 1 is a different saw because it has the new style control lover, right?
I also can find that style of tank vent in any of the 064/066 IPL's.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures.
The first picture you posted on page 1 is a different saw because it has the new style control lover, right?
I also can find that style of tank vent in any of the 064/066 IPL's.
Yes, the Pic I posted on P. 1 , post #12, is for an 066 , but it also applies to the MS650, or MS660. I've never run into any problems with the fast idle not holding on any other Stihl saw, including the 064. Is it possible that you are pressing the throttle trigger as you switch from choke to fast idle? If so, that disengages the fast idle immediately and moves you to the Run position.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, the Pic I posted on P. 1 , post #12, is for an 066 , but it also applies to the MS650, or MS660. I've never run into any problems with the fast idle not holding on any other Stihl saw, including the 064. Is it possible that you are pressing the throttle trigger as you switch from choke to fast idle? If so, that disengages the fast idle immediately and moves you to the Run position.
Thank's I actually came across a 660 that has that style of vent.
I understand how that could happen but when I flip the choke off my finger is no where near the throttle trigger.
I going to replace the control lever and trigger because they are showing some signs of wear... lets hope that fixes the issue.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question:
Woul you guys replace this intake boot or run it? The questionable area is probably 1/2 mm deep.

0423181849.jpeg

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk