Worn throttle shaft on Husqvarna 261/2

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I'd just ditch the accelerator pump and use the standard throttle shaft. Both parts below listed as NLA. My hunch is that the carb you have was purchased as a replacement because I've never seen an accelerator pump on this carb from Husqvarna. I hope someone can prove me wrong so that I can say I've learned two things in one day :) .

Piston / Accelerator Pump: Walbro 160-519 = no Husky equivalent number found
Throttle Shaft: Walbro 30-1365 = Husqvarna 503944201

Last edited:

Cantdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe the 261 ever had the HDA120 (not in the IPL's and I've never seen one) but true enough about the 257 and 262. The 120 does use a very different carb adjust sleeve though so if that's important to you, you'll need one of those too. But a very good point about the worn carb body.
You are correct. The 261 didn't get the 120. I was sure the one I have had a 120 but it does not. The 144 it has does not have the pump like the OPs carb either.

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally, I'd just ditch the accelerator pump and use the standard throttle shaft. Both parts below listed as NLA. My hunch is that the carb you have was purchased as a replacement because I've never seen an accelerator pump on this carb from Husqvarna. I hope someone can prove me wrong so that I can say I've learned two things in one day :) .

Piston / Accelerator Pump: Walbro 160-519 = no Husky equivalent number found
Throttle Shaft: Walbro 30-1365 = Husqvarna 503944201
Thanks Barry. Can you tell me how to get from the generic diagram to the Walbro part numbers?

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Barry. Can you tell me how to get from the generic diagram to the Walbro part numbers?
I use FM - F____ng Magic :)

I actually get the Husky part number from the IPL. Then I search for it in the Walbro 2015 Parts Application Guide. Of coarse this only works if you have a Husky number to start with. I'd put a copy here but it is an Excel sheet which isn't supported here by attachment.

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use FM - F____ng Magic :)

I actually get the Husky part number from the IPL. Then I search for it in the Walbro 2015 Parts Application Guide. Of coarse this only works if you have a Husky number to start with. I'd put a copy here but it is an Excel sheet which isn't supported here by attachment.
OK but I never found the Husqv ipl that includes the piston version. What magic did you use for that?

Traprunner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can also go on a site like ereplacementparts.com and search ( walbro hda-144) to get walbro part numbers I believe?

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember that the initial problem was setting the high idle. The saw was running strong. It was only while fiddling with carbs that I discovered the leaking seal on the clutch side.

I have others carburetors I could install in the 261-1/2, but now I am dug in on this peculiar 144a. I pirated a throttle shaft from an HDA 35a, maybe from a 154, and although it is a millimetre longer, it fits and functions well, at least in my hand. Last week I sprung for the official Husqv seal extractor which should arrive soon to repair the saw in question. Meanwhile I am debating whether I should notch to the aluminum shaft from the 35 for the accelerator pump or just go without the pump. Before that I may mount the carb as is, pump plugged, on another 262 just to see how it flies.

Last edited:

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put the 144 on a 257/262 and it runs great. It was running a 120. Now the high idle catches and releases, everything adjusts as it should and the saw revs up quickly. I did not put the saw in the wood yet. Unfortunately I broke the sealing collar in the process, but my no-accelerator-pump 144 is back in action. Thanks to everyone for all the help.