Stihl 064 help

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The first question I have is about the tank vent. The saw had a make shift vent when I got it so I looked up the IPL for the saw and order what it called for. Needless to say it is wrong. What style of vent do I actually need?

Next is the on/off/choke lever. With the lever all the down it does not engage the high idle and when you move it one click up it binds and will not move unless you hold the throttle wide open. The lever has quite a bit of play in the tank housing. So I'm not sure if its the lever, spring or a warn part under the trigger cover. What are your thoughts?

Also I ordered a OEM dual port cover for the muffler and noticed a gap on the bottom between the muffler and the cover. What is going on here?

Thanks for the help.
I'll post pictures in a minute.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In case your wondering about the oil coming out of the muffler... I'm pretty sure the case gasket is leaking bar oil into the crank case, I haven't pressure/vac tested the saw yet.
You can say this has been "one of those saws"!:BangHead::(

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
6:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That vent hole looks like a new shape black clip in type vent hole20180414_135240.jpg

Heres mine, old old tank with same vent, hole is different

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
6:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Tried one of these? the one without the 90° kink

Attachments

• 20180414_135621.jpg
    20180414_135621.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 23

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makes sense, thanks Andy!
Now I'm wondering if this is a 064 tank.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have an 064 muffler with an 066 cover, or vise versa. Can't remember which. I had one like that and slightly bent the lower lip up until it sealed up better.

I've had the master control lever do this same thing on these models. Someone here created a shim that fixed the problem. Maybe @Wood Doctor ?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the muffler, you have the early muffler with the flat bottom. Those were only used for about a year, before Stihl found out that they kept so much heat by the crankcase gasket that it was burning the gasket out.
You can switch to the later style (066/660) muffler but you'll probably need the spacer - 1122 145 1200

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had the master control lever do this same thing on these models. Someone here created a shim that fixed the problem. Maybe @Wood Doctor ?
Here's the shim I made to work. I made it with hard plastic.

Stihl 066 Tank Housing.jpgStihl 066 Switch Rod Shim3.PNG
Looks like the 064 has different dimensions. Shape the shim as needed.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Note that my shim insert is only for the instance in which the fast idle setting does not stay in place when shifting from choke to fast idle. When you shift from choke to fast idle, do not pull the trigger. That disengages the fast idle immediately.

The reason I made the shim is because on some saws the fast idle would not stay in place under any circumstances, and a cold start became very difficult. The only way guys were starting cold after a choke was to hold the throttle open with a wire loop or with one hand and pull the cord handle with the other one, also known as a PITA. Drop starting was virtually impossible without the wire loop holding the throttle open.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have an 064 muffler with an 066 cover, or vise versa. Can't remember which. I had one like that and slightly bent the lower lip up until it sealed up better.

Good to know. Thank you. I'm considering just buying a new 066/660 muffler.

On the muffler, you have the early muffler with the flat bottom. Those were only used for about a year, before Stihl found out that they kept so much heat by the crankcase gasket that it was burning the gasket out.
You can switch to the later style (066/660) muffler but you'll probably need the spacer - 1122 145 1200

Thanks JJ. Makes sense, Looking the saw over a little more this muffler already burned up the case gasket. It leaks bar oil between the case halves when the saw is up side down. Also I'm almost certain bar oil is getting in the crank case... lots of white smoke. I'm going to pressure/vac test it in a minute.

On the vent, I think the later style vent (1122 350 5851) is the one you need. I think you have an 066 style tank.

Looks like what I need. I see they are NLA but i see what my dealer has. Sometimes I luck out and he has parts like this.

Here's the shim I made to work. I made it with hard plastic.

View attachment 120683View attachment 120682
Looks like the 064 has different dimensions. Shape the shim as needed.
Thanks for the reply Edwin. This saw has a different style on/off lever (I'll post a picture in a bit). But a shim like what you have might fix this issue, I'll investigate.

I've just gotten used to grabbing the throttle when I switch the lever. Once you know it's necessary it becomes habit

Thanks Deets, If it was my saw I would. It's a good friend of mine that appreciates when things work the way they are suppose to. But he might have to resort to doing it your way. Lol

Thanks for all the help guys!

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Deets, If it was my saw I would. It's a good friend of mine that appreciates when things work the way they are suppose to. But he might have to resort to doing it your way. Lol

Thanks for all the help guys!

All of em that I've ran, 066/064 are that way

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Also, using a 066/660 muffler and that spacer do I need to use longer screws?