Worn throttle shaft on Husqvarna 261/2

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A previously good-running Husqv261/262 became hard to start because the high idle does not engage when I pull the choke lever.

Resized_20240107_121727.jpegResized_20240107_121933(1).jpeg

When I force the plastic pawl to engage, the saw starts and runs well, but the idle will not adjust. And the idle screw is almost buried before the throttle plate begins to move.

The seal on the clutch side is leaking. But the spark plug does not read too hot and the piston still looks good through the exhaust port. The saw has a flat-top piston and dual-port muffler but still carries the two-shoe clutch. So the seal is the number one issue but after that the carburetor would still need attention.

The throttle shaft of the HDA-144a shows wear at the end with high idle catch. (I AM NOT a throttle blipper! Maybe the previous owner was trigger happy.) I think the slop in the shaft prevents the latch from catching and retards the effect of the idle-adjust screw.
Resized_20240107_122457.jpeg
This pic may be a little confusing. I set the brass plunger on the catch plate to make it stand.

These are pricey carbs and I haven't found any aftermarket substitute. Any suggestions Tor good ways to revive this saw? Cus I like it. Thanks. Don

Attachments

• Resized_20240107_121546.jpeg
    Resized_20240107_121546.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 10

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could buy a replacement shaft and anything else that is worn. My experience is that any time the shaft is worn like that, the brass butterfly (shutter) is also worn out-of-round.

Attachments

• 144a.png
    144a.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 11

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could buy a replacement shaft and anything else that is worn. My experience is that any time the shaft is worn like that, the brass butterfly (shutter) is also worn out-of-round.
Thanks you Barry. I should have talked with you in the first place. I never considered that individual component parts might still be available but now I see it's under 10 bucks. But I am not finding the spring-loaded plunger on the diagram. Would you agree that I probably don't need to replace it, based on the photo? Don

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not aware of a spring loaded brass plunger on the 144. None of the IPL's for the saws that use this carb show it. I see the cutout in your shaft but I've never seen a similar cutout on the carbs I've worked on. Can you show how the plunger and spring are mounted?

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The carburetor is a 144a . Further searching makes me think it is the piston for the accellerator. It shows on some diagrams as part 54 but I haven't found a husqv part number. The spring and piston sit in a hole perpendicular to, and held in place by, the shaft. I will get some pics.

Cantdog

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I would simply replace the carb with a decent used 120. There are plenty around as they also came on the 257, 261 and 262XP saws.
Since these carbs do not have replacable throttle shaft bushings I would assume that how much ever the shaft was worn the carb body would exihibit similar wear so replacing the shaft would only fix half of the problem.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I would simply replace the carb with a decent used 120. There are plenty around as they also came on the 257, 261 and 262XP saws.
Since these carbs do not have replacable throttle shaft bushings I would assume that how much ever the shaft was worn the carb body would exihibit similar wear so replacing the shaft would only fix half of the problem.
I don't believe the 261 ever had the HDA120 (not in the IPL's and I've never seen one) but true enough about the 257 and 262. The 120 does use a very different carb adjust sleeve though so if that's important to you, you'll need one of those too. But a very good point about the worn carb body.

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The saw is 01 2500116, so about the end of the line. It looks to me like the wear is concentrated in a small area of the brass and it would be
broadly distributed over the length of the bore in the aluminum.Resized_20240108_100126.jpeg

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Maybe I am too redneck for this neck of the woods.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Maybe I am too redneck for this neck of the woods.
If you can get the 144 working, I would go that route.....I only have one data point to reference, but I did a 257/262 conversion this past year, and the 87 carb had issues....I tried the 120 that came with the 257 and the saw seemed like it was being held back. I found a used 144, and the saw seemed to run better/stronger than with the 120.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, this is a good day - learned something new. On all the 144's I've seen, that hole was empty and the throttle shaft that is seen in the bottom of that hole is completely round.

Attachments

• P1030566.JPG
    P1030566.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 6

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Part 54

Carbs Unlimited
nicecarb.jpg

Can't find carb # try here

Number

Carburetor Reference Sheet and Related Parts​

Brand: Walbro Type: WB1-HDA
Number: HDA-144A
CU: WB1-HDA
General Reference Picture of a WB1-HDA
Sorry Picture NA
Actual Reference Picture
Sorry Picture NA
Disc: Butterfly Valve Diaphragm Carburetor Notes: Notes
Cyl:30 to 60 cc
Rebuild Kit:
KT-K22-HDA
Float:
Acc Pump:
Choke Pulloff Front:
Acc Pump Cup:
Choke Pulloff Rear:
Needle & Seat:
Choke Thermostat:
PowerValve:
Jets:
Jets
Mixture Control Solinoid:
Mettering Rods:
Throttle Position Sensor:
Linkage Rods:
Fuel Fitting:
FuelFilter:
Mixture Screw:
Air Cleaner Gasket:
Rebuilt Carburetor Numbers
Bowl Gasket:
Rebuild Number:
WB1-HDA
Middle Gasket:
New Carb:
Base Gasket:
Core:
Search eBay

HDA-144A Parts

WB1-HDA Parts

Check the Walbro Parts Page for more parts
We have many parts that may not be listed Call 253-833-4106
Sorry Picture NA
Sorry Picture NA

This carburetor was made by Walbro , . It is a WB1-HDA . This carburetor has a part number of HDA-144A and used on Butterfly Valve Diaphragm Carburetor . Check here for specific Muscle car Info
Referenced by ; Walbro HDA-144A

Diagram

This Site Designed By
EagleHosting WebSite Design Š2006 Carbs Unlimited [terms& policys]​

Last edited:

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which is softer, the aluminum or the brass? I guess it varies for each alloy. Maybe I could measure wear in the bore if I can find the right size drill.

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I get a new shaft I will also replace the piston assembly, if available.

Resized_20240108_111403.jpeg

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, this is a good day - learned something new. On all the 144's I've seen, that hole was empty and the throttle shaft that is seen in the bottom of that hole is completely round.
The newest ipl I see is 1999-06 and it does not show the flat on the shaft. Maybe I could delete the piston, plug the port and use the readily available shaft 503944201.

Or just use another carb.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can remember that the "Stihl 200t" crowd was dealing with worn accelerator pump plungers in those saws carburetors. ZAMA.
Seems that they were generally deleting/removing the plunger due to wear and parts availability

It's a ZAMA so don't know if any of their efforts or findings would be of any use with this carburetor (Walbro HDA-144a)
and getting it back in good working order.

Could be a waste of time.
but If you're curious, drop this (between the quotes below) into google and see if it's just an
un-needed headache to read or if it's applicable on the HDA-144a.

" stihl 200t carburetor pump delete "

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Parts are not available through my husqv dealer. I wonder if there is a way to get them from Walbro. Any suggestions?

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still don't know the numbers but a Husqvarna customer service person on the phone said it will reply tomorrow to my request for those part numbers, parts 54 and 9 on the walbro diagram above.

Many years ago I bought fuel nipples for HDAs directly from Walbro, but I am not seeing how to do that now.