High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Square ground chain naming conventions

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello, friends. Been a while since I posted.

Because my gift in life is starting new projects for no discernible reason, I am thinking about going down the square ground rabbit hole.

Not a professional. Property owner and wood burner in a Midwest hardwood context.

Anyone have a summary of the square ground naming conventions for Stihl and Oregon chain? I run 3/8 .063...and I have a good handle on that piece of the part numbers. And the drive link count...got that part

Also, what would you recommend a rookie start with in terms of sequence? I was thinking skip or semi skip. Less teeth = less filing per chain when I am learning that part.

Best I can tell...stihl semi skip square is RSHLK?

Haven’t had much luck finding the Oregon nomenclature. I do have a couple of their 75ExL chains in the rotation, so I’m not picky about it being Stihl.

Last edited:

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Even Google has a hard time helping you find really oddball chains, apparently. Just needed the right words to search.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just stumbles across this and figured Ide chime in with a question..

What exactly are the advantages/ disadvantages of a square ground chain as opposed to a normal round ground chain?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just stumbles across this and figured Ide chime in with a question..

What exactly are the advantages/ disadvantages of a square ground chain as opposed to a normal round ground chain?
Square cuts faster and smoother than round

Last edited:

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anything Stihl that starts with RS is a full chisel chain. If it has has an L in the name, it is square ground. K is “classic” which has a straight up and down raker, whereas standard RS has a slight bend outside.

RSLK is going to be your fastest and smoothest cutting Stihl chain from the factory... If the square grind is anything good. Some factory square grinds really suck and cut slower than round chains.

Edit: F in Stihl chain lingo means it’s a skip chain & H is half-skip.

Last edited: