Two saw plan

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I set rakers every half dozen sharpenings or so, no need to set rakes every touch up or thorough sharpening!

Also, for limbing and brush clearing I prefer a less aggressive chain.
It’s likely we cut different wood for different end goals. Most of what I cut is ponderosa with some piñon/juniper and the occasional shrub oak. Mostly the big wood is realtively soft and the hard wood is small. I’m not sure what you cut in Europe but if I had to guess it’s more hardwoods, in which case what you’re saying makes more sense than what I do

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s likely we cut different wood for different end goals. Most of what I cut is ponderosa with some piñon/juniper and the occasional shrub oak. Mostly the big wood is relatively soft and the hard wood is small. I’m not sure what you cut in Europe but if I had to guess it’s more hardwoods, in which case what you’re saying makes more sense than what I do
I almost exclusively buck turkey oak for my own firewood, its knots and crotches are bone hard.
Turkey oak is very dense and as such resists being cut.
I consider beech and "regular" European oak as being soft, so that says something.
I wish Sondre @SOS Ridgerider and I had more time to play with my firewood logs during his short visit, but it wasn't meant to be - this time around!

C97403E0-43D8-4569-8D26-D0DA435FDC9F.jpeg

Disclaimer:
The Stihl ain't mine!
And, I am the ugly guy...

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I almost exclusively buck turkey oak for my own firewood, its knots and crotches are bone hard.
Turkey oak is very dense and as such resists being cut.
I consider beech and "regular" European oak as being soft, so that says something.
I wish Sondre @SOS Ridgerider and I had more time to play with my firewood logs during his short visit, but it wasn't meant to be - this time around!

View attachment 398358

Disclaimer:
The Stihl ain't mine!
And, I am the ugly guy...
Next time, for sure!