SHOW ME YOUR AXES

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my new clip portraying all four of my dragon slayers.

Video description quote:
Comparison of four axes of similar style ("Bosanska") but different weight and wedge design.
Featured are ax head weights of 1200 gram, an approximately 1800 gram ax, 2000 gram and 2500 gram.
Only the 1200 gram ax head is seated on a 80cm/32" handle, the other three sport a 100cm/40" handle.
The 1800 gram ax is my decades old faithful , the other three are new to me.
The rounds are fresh bucked turkey oak rounds, all came off the same log.
Knots within the rounds are random, no intentional previous selection in an attempt to falsely portrait a specific ax as superior has been made.

My personal opinion:
- the 1200 gram ax is too light for this specific application and firewood species, handle is too short for my liking.
- the 2000 & 2500 gram axes feature a good weight and handle length, but the blade is too long which diminishes the impact effect of the swing, also the heads wedge design is too narrow for the featured weight which causes both of them to easily get stuck in the round.
- my old faithful ~1800 gram ax is still the undisputed king, head weight is about optimal, the heads wedge design is superior over the other three - it will bounce off or go through the round, it rarely gets stuck
Cool comparison Wilhelm, your original dragon cleaver definitely looks to have the better cheek profile for splitting.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hung a Kelley 4lb splitting axe in the spring to see if I liked an axe for splitting. It was awesome! With good aim and striking the wood in the right place it gave up nothing to my maul except in burly sugar maple. Then, my handle broke, that’s what I get for using a store bought handle. I’m goin to make a handle for it soon and I’m looking forward to swinging it again.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool comparison Wilhelm, your original dragon cleaver definitely looks to have the better cheek profile for splitting.
Thank You for watching! :beer-toast1:

I got the 2000 & 2500 in hopes to find a worthy future successor to my old faithful, but no dice on these two - they can not knock the king off the throne.

They may perform differently in other wood species, but to me it matters most how an ax performs in turkey oak because that is my main firewood species.

The 2500 lost the handle wedge while splitting the first round (one can see it fly off the head in the video), I noticed it while splitting the second round as the impact felt wobbly.

I will definitely make at least one more clip like this.
Since yesterday I am down to two smaller diameter logs, once I finish them off I will play with some 20"+ logs and test the axes in the rounds coming off those. :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hung a Kelley 4lb splitting axe in the spring to see if I liked an axe for splitting. It was awesome! With good aim and striking the wood in the right place it gave up nothing to my maul except in burly sugar maple. Then, my handle broke, that’s what I get for using a store bought handle. I’m goin to make a handle for it soon and I’m looking forward to swinging it again.
If You had a 32" on that ax and liked it try a 40" - makes all the difference! ;)

If You don't like it You can always shorten the handle. :)

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a lot of maple and oak to split up. I will use my Fiskars X27, and both Gransfors Bruk splitting Ax and Maul. I will see if I can make another video.
I split some last week with splitting Ax and it was superb!

You need a Dolmar axe now Jeff

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long do yall let your handle material dry before you shape a handle out of it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

As long as possible I’ve wasted so many pieces of wood try8ng too get at them too quick I go for reclaimed wood if possible the years of time have done the work

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As long as possible I’ve wasted so many pieces of wood try8ng too get at them too quick I go for reclaimed wood if possible the years of time have done the work
I figured it was a good while. Trying to come up with some storage area to put some up. Thanks

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is my new clip portraying all four of my dragon slayers.

Video description quote:
Comparison of four axes of similar style ("Bosanska") but different weight and wedge design.
Featured are ax head weights of 1200 gram, an approximately 1800 gram ax, 2000 gram and 2500 gram.
Only the 1200 gram ax head is seated on a 80cm/32" handle, the other three sport a 100cm/40" handle.
The 1800 gram ax is my decades old faithful , the other three are new to me.
The rounds are fresh bucked turkey oak rounds, all came off the same log.
Knots within the rounds are random, no intentional previous selection in an attempt to falsely portrait a specific ax as superior has been made.

My personal opinion:
- the 1200 gram ax is too light for this specific application and firewood species, handle is too short for my liking.
- the 2000 & 2500 gram axes feature a good weight and handle length, but the blade is too long which diminishes the impact effect of the swing, also the heads wedge design is too narrow for the featured weight which causes both of them to easily get stuck in the round.
- my old faithful ~1800 gram ax is still the undisputed king, head weight is about optimal, the heads wedge design is superior over the other three - it will bounce off or go through the round, it rarely gets stuck

Thanks for the video good comparison you gotta have a good shaped wedge and your old faithful is right on t(e money

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know why I stopped getting alerts for this thread but I’m back now. Good looking steel gents.

It’s a one way door on this thread come winter time once your in here can’t get out everyone been missing you

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a one way door on this thread come winter time once your in here can’t get out everyone been missing you
Ha! Thanks AJ. I do have a new hatchet to show you guys, I’ll get some pics up tomorrow. Nothing terribly fancy, but something I’ve wanted.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve had some hickory slabs drying since spring and I don’t think they’re quite ready yet.
I was figuring it would probably take about a year. Talking to my pastor who does wood turning from actually milling he does with a 461 and Alaskan mill setup, he said he would probably cut them down green too pretty close to the dimensions of the handles then strap back together and store them for around a year, maybe a little less

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a lowly Fiskars X25 working over some cherry that has been standing dead. Some Elm in the pic too......but I don't split it with the Fiskars. Actually if the elm will fit thru the door of my brothers boiler and if we can lift em they go in whole. Nasty, nasty stuff to split.
c4793b594210c589e5da46e9898482b1.jpg
09a08b58605a14d597b6be783348c72d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LMAO I don't even have a Stihl Ax yet.
You don’t need a Stihl ax Jeff, get you one of these...lol!

This is the hatchet I grabbed for myself the other day, nuttin fancy but I love the old school Husqvarna gun sight logo Hults Bruk forges into these. I really like the feel of the handle too, I’m gonna copy it for my next hatchet handle
A159C4EA-5B3B-4C42-A61F-F22201BA3A9B.jpeg