SHOW ME YOUR AXES

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a lowly Fiskars X25 working over some cherry that has been standing dead. Some Elm in the pic too......but I don't split it with the Fiskars. Actually if the elm will fit thru the door of my brothers boiler and if we can lift em they go in whole. Nasty, nasty stuff to split.
c4793b594210c589e5da46e9898482b1.jpg
09a08b58605a14d597b6be783348c72d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Elm is the worst stuff I’ve ever split. Don’t blame you one bit.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the handle style I'm wanting to go back to on my genuine Norlund
You don’t need a Stihl ax Jeff, get you one of these...lol!

This is the hatchet I grabbed for myself the other day, nuttin fancy but I love the old school Husqvarna gun sight logo Hults Bruk forges into these. I really like the feel of the handle too, I’m gonna copy it for my next hatchet handle
View attachment 154208

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah it did clean up nice. That was cleaned with a brass wire wheel. Gotta get a handle for it. Maybe tomorrow.

Good luck with the handle. I’ve been looking for a handle for my Kelley single bit splitting axe, every one I’ve picked up at a store has 100% wrong grain orientation. I’ve looked at around 50 or so. I would make one but I don’t have any hickory that’s dry enough. Hope your hardware stores have better handle suppliers than mine.

If you find one, sand all the poly off of it and apply some linseed oil twice a day for a week. Those handles are dryer than a popcorn fart and won’t last unless you treat the wood properly before hanging your ax.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck with the handle. I’ve been looking for a handle for my Kelley single bit splitting axe, every one I’ve picked up at a store has 100% wrong grain orientation. I’ve looked at around 50 or so. I would make one but I don’t have any hickory that’s dry enough. Hope your hardware stores have better handle suppliers than mine.

If you find one, sand all the poly off of it and apply some linseed oil twice a day for a week. Those handles are dryer than a popcorn fart and won’t last unless you treat the wood properly before hanging your ax.
They aren't all good around here. The grain is usually good but they end up being a little twisted or have a bend at the head area. Some I can work with,but most are way to far out of alignment. Oh, I always remove the coating,and put linseed oil on mine.