Round File Top Plate Angles

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys don't mind my asking, what type of files are you using for square chain? I see they make a double bevel and a 3 corner. Any particular positives or negatives of either design? Thanks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E9282DC1-1D92-4483-88D4-C89FECFE78FF.jpeg 6029203A-A2E2-4B47-A773-4CB393F59AEF.jpeg B2CF13A8-7347-4B5C-8628-57C821B9F34D.jpeg Small file completely under top plate. Basically just beveling the gullet some. I think it smooths the cut some. Maybe very minor speed increase. You don’t wanna go all the way to the original edge you make with the regular file you usually start with or the edge will get fragile.
I try to sneak it right up into the corner. This may be the tunneling sorta deal I’ve read about but I’m not sure.

Bottom picture shows before Middle is after. Just sorta thinning out the inside of the corner and side plate. Not really sharpening with the smaller file

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time you guys go to a gtg observe the way people’s saws cut. Out of 5 people guarantee that one will be dull, one will have too agressive rakers to make up for poor filing, two will be average and one will be exceptionally good. Ask the person what they did to make it cut good.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I asked someone who I thought had a sweet chain what they did to get there round chain to cut good yet still bore ok. Also watch buckin billy ray’s filing on his youtube. The gullet and hook is very important. Especially in semi chisel. Angle of top plate I use 25 degrees and seems to work good. I set the rakers even left/right with gauge at the hardwood setting so I can bore smoothly and you can still lean on it a little. After there set even with gauge it ensures the chain cuts straight, cutter length doesn’t matter as long as all the cutters are “sharp”. You can get away with freehand filing rakers but they have to be set even first to cut straight imo. Use same amount of swipes per each one. I can get the chain a bit more aggressive for play at a gtg but I keep it conservative for work so it lasts long. I’m still learning and experimenting but this basic setup works good.

Last edited:

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Next time you guys go to a gtg observe the way people’s saws cut. Out of 5 people guarantee that one will be dull, one will have too agressive rakers to make up for poor filing, two will be average and one will be exceptionally good. Ask the person what they did to make it cut good.
Do you point out to the 5 guys, which chain is the good one, and indicate the bad ones? And tell them why?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys don't mind my asking, what type of files are you using for square chain? I see they make a double bevel and a 3 corner. Any particular positives or negatives of either design? Thanks.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Save Edge Chisel Bit files.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sir, I only do work chains primarily. I do have a couple chains that I mess with. But in general, yes. I am not really that adept with all this racey stuff.

I think....Deeter is referring to do all your chains get sharpened the same way for each intended cut ?
Like for a swamp maple/pine I file a little sharper and deeper, maybe even a couple of swipes with a .404 file.

Where am I going with this ? I file top plate and side plates with the intended wood I'm cutting in mind. I get mostly red oak and maple mixed. Some times a chain sending dust in oak cuts like butter in maple.

Bottom line, sharpening a chain is witch crafterery and unicorn hunting, always a moving target in search of some nirvana that never seems perfect but sometimes gets close....

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh. I see. I am not that advanced. Lol
I primarily only cut hard wood, so that is all I know how to sharpen for. I guess I gots lots to learn still. [emoji106]