Oregon Spark Tester

slime

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The inline Oregon Spark Tester 42-087 has a clip for grounding, and an uninsulated terminal that hooks up to spark plug wire. Is the other terminal, that sits at about a 45 degree angle and except for the end, is covered by a black insulating material, a ground also? If it is, the spark does not have to jump very far. Also, if wanting to see the spark jump the wide gap, seems to me that one has to be careful that the bare end of the 45 degree terminal does not touch ground. Question is, why is it even there?

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The angled piece should be the gap adjustment. It gets turned in or out as required.

slime

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, Philbert. That is what I thought it was for, however it does not turn. I am reluctant to torque on it as I don't want to break it. If that is an adjustable terminal, would it be used with the ground wire and clamp, or would it be the ground for the "bare"terminal that the spark plug wire goes on...left side. (therefore the spark would jump the gap between the two terminals on the left)?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@MarkEagleUSA described the use.

I just posted a photo, so that the rest of us know what you are talking about.

When I looked it up, it said it was ‘very similar’ in design to a Briggs & Stratton spark tester; maybe that will help you search.

Philbert

slime

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, Philbert. Got mixed up. It was Mark Eagle comment that mentioned adjustment. Will research the B&S one.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, Philbert. That is what I thought it was for, however it does not turn. I am reluctant to torque on it as I don't want to break it. If that is an adjustable terminal, would it be used with the ground wire and clamp, or would it be the ground for the "bare"terminal that the spark plug wire goes on...left side. (therefore the spark would jump the gap between the two terminals on the left)?
The Oregon spark tester is NOT adjustable. If you want an adjustable tester look at the Echo spark tester, it has a knurled knob to open and close the gap.

slime

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, Brad.

Question remains, why is that covered terminal even there?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon Chain Customer Service

We're here to help, call 1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST​

I have had good results with them, in the past.

Let us know!

Philbert

slime

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon Chain Customer Service

We're here to help, call 1-800-223-5168, Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 4:00 PM PST​

I have had good results with them, in the past.

Let us know!

Philbert
Called Oregon and spoke with two technicians. Both were very nice, but could not tell me what the 3rd terminal was for. One suggested looking at videos on YouTube. They both said none of the terminals were adjustable. I looked at all the videos I could, and learned nothing. One commenter said that the partially insulated terminal was used as a discharger to protect coil if there was a weak spark, and it could not jump the wide gap. However, to do that, it has to be grounded, and if grounded, the spark will always choose the path of least resistance and jump the narrow, not wide, gap. If using the tool, one has to make sure that the end of the 45 degree (partially insulated) terminal, does not come in contact with an engine ground. Probably a good idea to insulate it with electrical tape.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad when companies cannot support their products.

Thanks for the update.

Maybe someone at Briggs & Stratton knows (original version?).

Philbert

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Too bad when companies cannot support their products.

Thanks for the update.

Maybe someone at Briggs & Stratton knows (original version?).

Philbert
Oregon seems to have become resellers of Chinese products, so they're in essence just the distributer. And those at big-box stores don't care, they just want stuff to cost less, and Oregon stuff generally does.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon seems to have become resellers of Chinese products, so they're in essence just the distributer. And those at big-box stores don't care, they just want stuff to cost less, and Oregon stuff generally does.
Oregon used to be ‘the source’ for all kinds of saw chain technical information.

All the diagrams, etc., in the USFS manuals, resellers’ catalogues/webpages, etc., came from them. Their Customer Service representatives knew their products, or knew where to get answers.

The company was sold a few times over the past several years: I hope that it does not become just a brand name.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This video shows the B&S 19368 spark tester in use (starting about 2 minutes in), but does not explain the ‘3rd leg’.

Philbert

slime

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How can it help the spark start and jump the large gap, unless it is grounded? If grounded, why would the spark jump the wider gap and not just the short gap of the third post?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just copied and pasted.

Thought it might give you something else to explore.

Philbert