Round File Top Plate Angles

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the deal with top plate angles? Does one stay with the chain manufacturer's suggested top angle?
Is 25 degrees better? is 30 degrees better?
Does one angle cut better than the other?
I have Oregon, Carlton and Stihl round file chains. On some, they suggest 25 degree top plate angle. On the other, they suggest 30 degree top plate angle.
Let's hear it.
Looking to learn here.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Thanks Jake. So 25 degree top plate angle cuts slower but lasts longer than 30 degree angle.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Went down to 25 on semi and going to 15 for the mill. Starting with factory round chain at 30-35. Every sharpen is less and less angle.

This works well with square also. No wasting of cutters to get what one needs. Requires a rotation of chains. Everything wears longer even my rim sprockets last longer. Getting the max bang for my buck.

The last bit goes to dust as the root cutter chains and muddy firewood duty. They barely work on old worn down rims and bars. Saving the steel to the file pile with the beat bars.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Cool. Thanks. I try to stick with the witness mark angles on the top plate, but was really just curious what was what with these angles. What they do. And what each is for.
I follow the witness marks too. I have no idea what angles I file too but it works. The big thing I try to concentrate on is uniformity, which can be a challenge hand filing. Maybe someday I’ll get a chain grinder, but in all honesty I don’t feel a need being a firewood guy that only sharpens chains about 35 times per season. I don’t run the chains til they’re throwing dust, my logs are usually pretty clean so the chains last a while, especially my square filed ones.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points Josh. I go by how the chains cut while working. Trial and error. If the chains are cutting good, then I stick with it. [emoji106]
I did some work for a guy, and noticed he had a real small Stihl 170. I asked why he wasn't using it and said it wasn't cutting. I looked at the chain and he apparently never knew what a file was. I took about 10 strokes off each tooth and he tried it. The look on his face was priceless. He said it cut better than when saw was new. Lol

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good points Josh. I go by how the chains cut while working. Trial and error. If the chains are cutting good, then I stick with it. [emoji106]
I did some work for a guy, and noticed he had a real small Stihl 170. I asked why he wasn't using it and said it wasn't cutting. I looked at the chain and he apparently never knew what a file was. I took about 10 strokes off each tooth and he tried it. The look on his face was priceless. He said it cut better than when saw was new. Lol
I’ve had a similar experience with my cousin, and oddly enough his saw was also a Stihl 170. The chain was so bad it was struggling to get through the bark. He was also unknowingly running a carving bar.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one I cut with can file. They always look impressed. Had a guy ask me how I did it. Showed him. Maybe he learned? Was sorta neat I had just rocked a 32 chain. Quick half assed file job on the tailgate. Went back at it. These fellas were astonished. I’m not as good as some on here but I can make a chain cut.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After learning to file a long time ago, and now learning what does what does what. I'm way ahead of those old guys who taught me how to file chain. They new one way and that was all they needed. Learned so much here about chain I need to forget half of it just go file and cut.

Getting a good hook on the cutter seems to be the most overlooked part of most peoples chain sharpening. Most don't want or encourage any help for their lack of skill with a file. Most insist they know what's up. I call BS. I lets them sharpen and run off a tank or two. Then they usual ask, "what angles are you running?" Same as yours I say. Then comes the inevitable "my chain is identical to yours but mine has some hook." Apparently dumb looks are still free :confused::rolleyes:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what's the trick Kenny. Fill us in man. Come on, spill it.
Got any pics of these chains?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So what's the trick Kenny. Fill us in man. Come on, spill it.
Got any pics of these chains?
Nothing fancy. Just check out my work chains if you like. No different than yours I bet. My phone takes sucky pics.

You try 40* on the face of semi chisel yet?
They fly on a 660 with 8pin. I used a 3/16" file on new RM once and cut it real deep in the tooth. Hooky nasty grabby chain. 035 on the drags. Goes though willow like a fat kid with cake!
End of day bucking chain ;) last me about ten minutes.
Your mileage may vary.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I under cut that with a grinder. Rocked side plates with wire. My attempt at saving this chain. It cuts well until you go into larger wood. Then you gotta lift a bit and continue. I don’t fully understand this but apparently the chips need to ride into the cup of the tooth. With what I done there. They don’t carry out the cut. I’m very proud of that god awful looking chain