Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine are 2 different sizes. I think the 2253s and stuff are the same for gas and oil.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting. I just got a new one so I'll have to see what it fits lol.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I know, Jonsered doesn’t make Black flippy caps like the newer Husqvarna saws. Too bad the Huskys are gray. I really like the flippy caps on these saws.

A kind individual brought me some aftermarket ones that a few of his customers had really good luck with. I’ve had really good luck dying various plastics with RIT dye and decided to try these. What’s the worse that could happen? Standard gray on the right first pic, second picture it’s on the left.View attachment 147497View attachment 147498View attachment 147499

I dumped some 40:1 mix on the cap for 20-30 mins and nothing lifted or came off. It is the same color as the black one I did not test.
Can you explain this dying procedure. I’ve never done it and I really like this idea

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I simply use the RIT liquid dye. I boil water, reduce to a gentle roll and add the dye. I usually go heavy on the dye, it’s cheap and maybe I’m wasteful lol. I put the piece in and leave it for a while. I think I left them in for 30 mins. I pull them out and rinse with cold waster.

I’ve done a bunch of AR plastics for a buddy and he said that they still look good. Solvents haven’t bothered them. The longer it soaks the deeper it dyes into the plastics.

I am sure to degrease the pieces first. I’m sure there are other ways....some might be better but this has worked for me. Acetone seems popular to add but I do this in the house and I don’t want that on my stove.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I simply use the RIT liquid dye. I boil water, reduce to a gentle roll and add the dye. I usually go heavy on the dye, it’s cheap and maybe I’m wasteful lol. I put the piece in and leave it for a while. I think I left them in for 30 mins. I pull them out and rinse with cold waster.

I’ve done a bunch of AR plastics for a buddy and he said that they still look good. Solvents haven’t bothered them. The longer it soaks the deeper it dyes into the plastics.

I am sure to degrease the pieces first. I’m sure there are other ways....some might be better but this has worked for me. Acetone seems popular to add but I do this in the house and I don’t want that on my stove.
Thanks, I ordered the caps today

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg Need some advice, how come it all didn’t dye completely black? What’d I do wrong

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was that an oem cap? The aftermarket might just be a lesser quality of plastic. Mine were the same color throughout.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Add a small amount of acetone to your mixture.

If you aren't getting the best results try that. 1/8-1/4 cup per one gallon water. Heat to 180-200 degrees, add dye, then acetone, stir, remove from heat and add parts. I drop them in a.steel strainer for ease of removal. I leave them in until the water temp drops, remove and drop in cold water.

You can also try straight rit/acetone and paint it on with q-tips but you risk ruining the caps. I've done it this way, after letting it sit on the plastic(short time) I drop the parts in to a bucket of cold water. If they need more, repeat the process.

Last edited: