RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Good analogy...
Tough to replicate those hooks and angles...

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to stihl dealer today, to order new piston and he told me that starting beginning of 2020 all stihl ms261 & ms271 saws are coming with new style bar from the factory to go with the "pro" series chain. This affects at least scandinavia. Also spare parts will have new pricing, all parts will have a percentage and this percentage will form the selling price calculated from a new saw selling price.
That means higher prices for pro level saw parts......... And all this for attempt to make consumers to use less AM-parts.
br_lght04_s.jpg rs_pro_llt_s.jpg
RV

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see what looks like a big hook on these pro cutters. Like the new Husqvarna chain.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see what looks like a big hook on these pro cutters. Like the new Husqvarna chain.

Stihl’s always a step behind[emoji854][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I wish they’d go back to the K chassis. It had a wider gullet and was better chain in my opinion. The Oregon is better in that regard than the C chassis stuff they have now. Maybe this new stuff is closer to the old.

Last edited:

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the numbers above the bar charts? "15%" "20%" "15%" and "18%" "20%" "15%"

Is that claimed improvement in cutting speed for that type of cut?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl’s always a step behind[emoji854][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I wish they’d go backto the K chassis. It had a wider fuller and was better chain in my opinion. The Oregon is better in that regard than the C chassis stuff they have now. Maybe this new stuff is closer to the old.

Dats cuz their too busy cutting trees and makin money!!!
Working mans saws and chains!
Ding. Ding...

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Mike.
In a world of compromise, some don't. H&K statement.

I get it in a life saving equipment. I have a Glock and a Kimber I carry around.

My dealer at home even said they’re almost getting stupid on pricing.

I hope the new chains are good. I need to buy a few more soon for my baby saws and would like to try these out.

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if this new bar is 0.9mm thinner, and 10-20% weight savings.. Does anyone know how that would compare to something like a Light Tsumura bar? Or do you need this new bar with the chain?

I still have no idea on the width, but I believe a Tusmura Light 18" bar is ~9% ligher than a Stihl ES bar. So the new Stihl bar is probably at least as light as the Tsumura

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Splitting hairs they are...
Probably have a shorter life as well...

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if this new bar is 0.9mm thinner, and 10-20% weight savings.. Does anyone know how that would compare to something like a Light Tsumura bar? Or do you need this new bar with the chain?

I still have no idea on the width, but I believe a Tusmura Light 18" bar is ~9% ligher than a Stihl ES bar. So the new Stihl bar is probably at least as light as the Tsumura
You may need the NK chain. There were problems on the 550 when running an nk bar and not an nk chain, we didn't have that problem on the earlier saws like the 346 chassis.
If I want a light bar for a smaller saw I run a laminate bar, does it wear out quicker, yes, will it take kickbacks from boring, no, does it cost more in the end, probably not. In the larger saws I run the stihl lightweight bars or tsumara rw. The cost of running them isn't bad compared to what you're getting. Now if I was buying bars for other guys to use...