Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just picked up a couple loops of Carlton chain to try. Fella that sold them to me says the same parent company that owns Oregon bought Carlton, but that Carlton is still made in the US the same way it’s always been. He claims the teeth are just as hard, if not harder, than Stihl chain…

Anyone have first hand experience with recently made Carlton chain? I know they have been around for years, but curious if the quality has stayed the same?

If I like it, I may buy a 100’ Roll instead of 33RSK…

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been told it's made in Brazil now but don't have any proof of that.

I have a few loops of the new 3/8 063 full chisel and its working well. Cutters feel like Stihl chain when filing, very hard. Holds it edge well and comes with an ok factory grind but 1 loop needed a touch up before use. Maybe a little more vibration than EXL or RS but not enough to complain about.

It looks, feels and works the same as other carlton chain I have used in the past.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just picked up a couple loops of Carlton chain to try. Fella that sold them to me says the same parent company that owns Oregon bought Carlton, but that Carlton is still made in the US the same way it’s always been. He claims the teeth are just as hard, if not harder, than Stihl chain…

Anyone have first hand experience with recently made Carlton chain? I know they have been around for years, but curious if the quality has stayed the same?

Chainsaw Chain CARLTON® A3LM 3/8" .063" Full Chisel​

Is this the stuff ur using, ?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been told it's made in Brazil now but don't have any proof of that.

I have a few loops of the new 3/8 063 full chisel and its working well. Cutters feel like Stihl chain when filing, very hard. Holds it edge well and comes with an ok factory grind but 1 loop needed a touch up before use. Maybe a little more vibration than EXL or RS but not enough to complain about.

It looks, feels and works the same as other carlton chain I have used in the past.
Good to hear. I hope that it has good edge retention. That’s my biggest complaint with Oregon. It’s just too soft. Hoping this Carlton gets more mileage per loop. It’s price is much more attractive than Stihl chain.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Blount industries is the parent company for both Oregon and Carlton. I was told by my rep that both come out of the same factory. I’ve had both on hand but couldn’t seem to sell the Carlton so ended up running most of a roll myself. It does have a different tooth on it. I used the same presets and straps on both chains so it’s not completely different.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blount industries is the parent company for both Oregon and Carlton. I was told by my rep that both come out of the same factory. I’ve had both on hand but couldn’t seem to sell the Carlton so ended up running most of a roll myself. It does have a different tooth on it. I used the same presets and straps on both chains so it’s not completely different.
Interesting. Carlton used to be a big seller in this area 20 years ago and more. I just happened to stop into a small, mom and pop saw shop a couple towns over to see what they had and this guy swears by it. I bought a couple loops to try, but jury is out whether or not I’ll like it.

Can you still order Carlton rolls if I decide to go that route?

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blount industries is the parent company for both Oregon and Carlton. I was told by my rep that both come out of the same factory.
Carlton chain was started in 1963, by Ray Carlton, who had been working for Oregon. It was purchased by Blount in 2008.

Blount was sold in 2015, then Oregon was sold again in 2021, to a variety of private equity firms. Oregon had / has factories in several countries.

How much Carlton remains a separate chain, verus just a brand name, and where it is made, may be somewhat fluid.

The best thing is to try it, and see how it performs.

Philbert

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blount was sold in 2015, then Oregon was sold again in 2021, to a variety of private equity firms.
Do you have any further information about where who owns Carlton, and where it’s currently being manufactured?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have any further information about where who owns Carlton, and where it’s currently being manufactured?
I have no information on that.

Over the years, Oregon (or its parent company) purchased several companies, and private labeled OEM chain for a number of chainsaw companies.

They, periodically, moved things around for business and economic reasons. Husqvarna started making their own chain, several years ago, taking a big part of their business with them.

Big companies sometimes buy competitors for capacity, competition, intellectual property, marketing, etc.

Hard to know if different brands are kept distinct, even if they come out of the same factory (e.g. different steel, hardness, cutter design, etc.).

Tell us how it works for you!

Philbert

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no information on that.

Over the years, Oregon (or its parent company) purchased several companies, and private labeled OEM chain for a number of chainsaw companies.

They, periodically, moved things around for business and economic reasons. Husqvarna started making their own chain, several years ago, taking a big part of their business with them.

Big companies sometimes buy competitors for capacity, competition, intellectual property, marketing, etc.

Hard to know if different brands are kept distinct, even if they come out of the same factory (e.g. different steel, hardness, cutter design, etc.).

Tell us how it works for you!

Philbert
The Husqvarna XCut series chain , like C83, 85 , is a high quality chain, made in Sweden according to there website, and used it quite a bit , holds a edge very much like Stihl chain,

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last Carlton chains I bought said made in China, that disappointed me, haven't tried them yet though. Anyone else ?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Carlton used to be a big seller in this area 20 years ago and more. I just happened to stop into a small, mom and pop saw shop a couple towns over to see what they had and this guy swears by it. I bought a couple loops to try, but jury is out whether or not I’ll like it.

Can you still order Carlton rolls if I decide to go that route?
Look about three posts above yours.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard by from guys on here and AS that Carlton was harder than Oregon, but I haven’t had good luck with it. I’ve had a couple old loops that came on saws I bought and there was no corner left. It wasn’t like the cutters were hammered, more like the corner was just worn off all the way back. Thought maybe it would stay sharp longer because of it, but it was just the opposite. It would dull almost instantly

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW I have a short roll of .404 Carlton chisel skip made in .058 the last of what Baileys had prior to before that compnay was sold .It's good chain and what is on the 48 inch hard nose on the avatar saw .By contast I had bought some house branded chain they sold alleged to be made by Carlton which had to be the worst chain I ever owned .Must have been made from recycled Campbell soup cans .

drumbum

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have many loops of Carlton chain and 3 25' reels of various .325 older stock.
I buy based on value, like $60 for a 25" reel (70 to muh door)

Stocked up on chain when the gettin was good, like 10 bucks a 20" loop of older Oregon.

The consensus says Carlton falls between Schteel and Ohreegone and I tend to agree, but I see variance in EVERYTHING.

I have had loops of Woodland pro boxed Carlton that would have some "ruin a file quick" hard cutters and gauges when new, which necessitated a wore file to get through the hardness/chrome.

At least it's not commie chain,.......well kinda,....ain't everything commie now?

Take everything with a grain of salt when reading others likes and dislikes as it may not be apples to apples.