Carlton Chain

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m going to get a hold of my distributor and find this out. Because as of last year what Philbert is saying is not what I was told. The info I got was right from Oregon. I understand that Oregon is owned by someone but that is what it’s still called when I talk with them

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blount was bought by investors and named Oregon tool company to honor its roots. Carlton is indeed part of Oregon Tool Company. They do have a factory in China but chains are not made there unless they’re lying to me

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blount was bought by investors and named Oregon tool company to honor its roots. Carlton is indeed part of Oregon Tool Company. They do have a factory in China but chains are not made there unless they’re lying to me
I wonder if chain parts are made "off-shore," shipped [wherever], and then "made" (assembled) from "foreign components."

I'll know more when I start having to sharpen Carlton chain.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if chain parts are made "off-shore," shipped [wherever], and then "made" (assembled) from "foreign components."
That is very likely situation that care not to disclose
I should be careful not to imply that is the case. I have recent Carlton .404 Chipper chain, which is only representative at best, and it does look to be really good quality. The grind also looks good from casual observation, but with the cold weather here I haven't had the chance to run it, so haven't filed it. If it is off-shore chain it looks to be pretty good.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When Oregon first opened their factory in China, their packaging often stated something like, ‘Assembled in China from components manufactured in USA and Brazil’.

That was several years, and a couple of owners, ago.

China is perfectly capable of making quality products. That’s why I would judge the chain based on its performance.

Philbert

Last edited:

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is some A2LM next to 73EXL. Both a new and you can see the difference in top plate thickness in the first pic
The top cutter on the A2LM looks thinner, yet the side cutter looks thicker than the Oregon 73EXL. Lining up the top plate cutter angles from the top-down view it up it looks like the angle is greater on the Carlton than the Oregon. I think one might have to take a calipers to check actual plate thickness, or at minimum take pictures perpendicular to the chain (from the side) at the same height as the top plate.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just picked up a couple loops of Carlton chain to try. Fella that sold them to me says the same parent company that owns Oregon bought Carlton, but that Carlton is still made in the US the same way it’s always been. He claims the teeth are just as hard, if not harder, than Stihl chain…

Anyone have first hand experience with recently made Carlton chain? I know they have been around for years, but curious if the quality has stayed the same?

If I like it, I may buy a 100’ Roll instead of 33RSK…
I have a roll from a few years ago, and it's good quality. I don't know about the newest production.

I dunno about it being as hard as Stihl, but there's certainly nothing wrong with it

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The top cutter on the A2LM looks thinner, yet the side cutter looks thicker than the Oregon 73EXL. Lining up the top plate cutter angles from the top-down view it up it looks like the angle is greater on the Carlton than the Oregon. I think one might have to take a calipers to check actual plate thickness, or at minimum take pictures perpendicular to the chain (from the side) at the same height as the top plate.
I'm bad at small freedom units but in metric the EXL top plate is 1.04mm thick vs .80mm on the carlton.

I didn't measure the side plates, I just noticed the top plate looked thinner and checked. I still have a loop of both that are new so I can check the side plates later today. Cutters are about the same height. 25 degrees on the EXL, 30 on the ALM.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last Carlton chains I bought said made in China, that disappointed me, haven't tried them yet though. Anyone else ?

Carlton chain is now made in China as is all of Oregon's LP chain.

I bought some Laser chain which has been Carlton chain for quite awhile and it came labelled Made in China. I made a call and Carlton Chain is now Made in China.

I don't see any quality difference between the new chain and some older ones I have. Cuts well and the cutters aren't soft.
Chinese companies can make very good product but NA companies need to have someone on them in house like a dog on a rat to make sure they are keeping to spec.

For clarity on Oregon's ownership.

Oregon Products is owned by Oregon Tool Inc. They were bought out in October, 2021 by the Platinum Equity Group which owns them today.

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carlton chain is now made in China as is all of Oregon's LP chain.

I bought some Laser chain which has been Carlton chain for quite awhile and it came labelled Made in China. I made a call and Carlton Chain is now Made in China.

I don't see any quality difference between the new chain and some older ones I have. Cuts well and the cutters aren't soft.
Chinese companies can make very good product but NA companies need to have someone on them in house like a dog on a rat to make sure they are keeping to spec.

For clarity on Oregon's ownership.

Oregon Products is owned by Oregon Tool Inc. They were bought out in October, 2021 by the Platinum Equity Group which owns them today.
Who’d you call for Carlton? Oregon tool or do they have a separate number for just Carlton labeled products?

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who’d you call for Carlton? Oregon tool or do they have a separate number for just Carlton labeled products?
I called Laser because they said the chain was made in the US. Sticker read China. He said he would have to call the supplier.
He got back to me and gave me the info on the manufacture location and said Oregon was slowly transitioning to China.
He did say the transition was slow as Oregon was making sure they could keep the quality up.
He mentioned something about Brazil being on the list as well as being moved to China.

I'm not sure who you would call at Oregon or if they would give out any info to the general public. Some how I doubt they would as u=it affects employee jobs.