Carlton Chain

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been running some different carlton chains for the last week so I can give some feed back.

325, 058. K2L - Absolute rubbish. Cuts like crap when new and didn't improve much after repeated sharpenings. Vibrates at lot and cuts slow compared to LPX.

3/8 063. A3LM. Factory grind was ok, improved a lot after sharpening. A little more vibration than RS but cuts good enough. Holds an edge well and feels nice on the file. I would buy it again because it's good value, 3 loops of this is the same price as 1 loop of Stihl RS here.

3/8lp N1C. Don't have anything bad to say about this one. I got it insanely cheap and it works really well.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
both oregon and carlton chain used to be made here in oregon about 7 miles from each other. oregon used to be a better chain. carlton was harder but didnt stay sharp as long. i havent ran a carlton chain in more than 25 years though. I dont know if carlton is still made here. the factory used to be right by my moms post office. i will check and see if its still there. im pretty sure that they moved the oregon factory several years ago.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
carlton was harder but didnt stay sharp as long.
This is contradicting. The harder the chain, the longer it will hold an edge.
i will check and see if its still there. im pretty sure that they moved the oregon factory several years ago.
This would be very interesting to know.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it was a long time ago maybe the carlton was softer i dont know. when i was in high school my forest products class got to have a tour of the carlton factory. they supported our class and provided chain for us. the class was taught by retired loggers that became teachers. they showed us how to sharpen chain both by file and by the different grinders. oregon was also a sponsor of the class and also provided us with chain. the oregon chain always stayed sharp longer and was easier to file. thats why i think the carlton chain was harder. naturally im not talking about the chain that got rocked or grounded.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@
I just picked up a couple loops of Carlton chain to try. Fella that sold them to me says the same parent company that owns Oregon bought Carlton, but that Carlton is still made in the US the same way it’s always been. He claims the teeth are just as hard, if not harder, than Stihl chain…

Anyone have first hand experience with recently made Carlton chain? I know they have been around for years, but curious if the quality has stayed the same?

If I like it, I may buy a 100’ Roll instead of 33RSK…

How are you liking it?

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i just looked up the company address of carlton and their website show the address of the oregon chain plant. they must have combined the two factories when Blount bought them out. the oregon factory was in a much lager space than the carlton plant was.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@

How are you liking it?
I’ve only cut with it for 1 day a couple weeks ago. Logging is winding down and weather has kept me from the woods. I don’t have enough time on it to say much at this point. I did notice that it woke up after the first touch up with a file. Out of the box it wasn’t great.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spoke with an Oregon distributor rep today at a local saw shop event. He said that Carlton chain is no longer being made (!).

There is still some stock being sold, and Oregon still owns the name; maybe it will be used again, for certain products or in certain markets?

Can’t verify; only what he said.

Things change fast these days.

Philbert

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought 4 of these NOS on the bay for $12/shipped each.
.325 .058 78dl semi chisel (20") & I LOVE IT.
I think mine is 'semi vintage".
Ive got some hours on one & I'd buy more but the guy sold me all he had.

20240419_164436.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
‘TOTAL’ was a brand of Tilton Equipment Company (as noted on the box). They were the importers and distributors of Jonserrd chainsaws, Tecomec grinders, and other products.

I was told that their chains snd bars were contracted to different companies.

Philbert

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
‘TOTAL’ was a brand of Tilton Equipment Company (as noted on the box). They were the importers and distributors of Jonserrd chainsaws, Tecomec grinders, and other products.

I was told that their chains snd bars were contracted to different companies.

Philbert
I believe their chains were made by Carlton.
Google is your friend.