rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway will call this done and dusted..
Just got to get the couple things it needs and give it back to him he will be well pleased to have a saw that actually cuts again lol

As for anyone curious as to the minerals and vitamins oil here it is the good stuffs...Yeah yeah I knows the internet's says top tier top dollar synthetic or she'll blows ups and stuffs! blah blah blah..... lol
20220519_164304.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
10:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyway will call this done and dusted..
Just got to get the couple things it needs and give it back to him he will be well pleased to have a saw that actually cuts again lol

As for anyone curious as to the minerals and vitamins oil here it is the good stuffs...Yeah yeah I knows the internet's says top tier top dollar synthetic or she'll blows ups and stuffs! blah blah blah..... lol
View attachment 337188

Awesome. You did use a different Castrol bucket oil previously tho ay old mate? Was it Garden maybe?

Top marks on the clip. Love me some It's a Long Way to the shops for a Sausage Roll...:)

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome. You did use a different Castrol bucket oil previously tho ay old mate? Was it Garden maybe?

Top marks on the clip. Love me some It's a Long Way to the shops for a Sausage Roll...:)
What's bucket oil mean?
Yeah we used a few 20L drums of Castrol garden mineral towards the end we had to order our oil in. They reckoned you couldn't get the Activ anymore eventually got onto another mob and could get the Activ in the 20L drums again.
Dad uses a bit of both now day's whatever he can get, I just get the Activ in 4L bottles. I don't use that much oil anymore my days of hanging off saws all day are over thank God lol
Between the two oils I can't tell a difference both good oils but the Activ I can recommend long term running it for so many years/decades in work saws.
1 (8) (1)-1.JPG

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
W
Not a slur on its quality bro, I believe you've proven that in a way perhaps no-one else in the www ever could.

Simply, that you can buy it bulk, in a bucket. 20l reusable one what's more as you say.
When I did a bit of time working at a steal dealer not long ago...All day cleaning blocked spark arrestors in saws/ope...they recommended some chit oil lol
omg and the messed up chains mind blowing haha
Worst thing was ya can't test a saw nothing to do test cut on.. best ya could do was a piss rev after "fixing" a saw that dies mid cut for example, or saw comes in needs a sharpen cutting crooked so dress the bar sharpen it and nothing to test cut lol

Last edited:

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ironic thing is here maybe 10 years ago Stihl oil here in NZ clearly had Made by Castrol on the back of it. Bottles don't look the same to me now but i don't shop Stihl so who knows what happened. I did have a pic of the old oil label but i can't find it now.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ironic thing is here maybe 10 years ago Stihl oil here in NZ clearly had Made by Castrol on the back of it. Bottles don't look the same to me now but i don't shop Stihl so who knows what happened. I did have a pic of the old oil label but i can't find it now.
I remember the old stihl mineral oil was made by Castrol but not up to date with all the new u beaut oils.
I got a 4L bottle of that Ultra apparently "free" with a ms661 years ago I used it as bar oil lol... And the old dealer said don't run the recommended 50:1 in that saw.

Just like all the Stihl manuals here used to say if not using Stihl oil run 25:1 so technically speaking I've done exactly what the manual said...
I'd never do anything the manuals recommend against Stihl and its stealers knows best yup lol

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great work mate.

do you know the trick with punching in tge pin on the oil pump on them ?

here is one I just got built

8 tooth on dry grey gum
Is that 3/8 8pin? Grey Gum that's some hard chit.
I wouldn't run 3/8 on 90cc plus saws in our timber if ya paid me goes off so fast compared to .404, talking Stihl chain not any that other wannabe rubbish chain thats out there lol

And yeah know about the stupid pin.

Last edited:

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah mate 3/8
You have to remember you come from a commercial volume processing environment.
I’m testing a saw or just cutting a Ute load.
Horses for courses,
If I’m cutting up a big ugly dead stick, 404 is a go to for sure.
Clean logs like that, 3/8 goes just fine

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got me dads oldest ms661 back to fix.. The starter recoil crapped the bed.
Got that fixed with some used parts out of a ms660 the saw is usable for now... but told him it's about time it got some new parts.. on that list is a new clutch drum and bearing, Elastostart, oil cap, starter paws and pulley that should keep it going a few more years..

I like his elasostart fix lol
He said it's still running good after I got it back up and running last time for him whenever that was bout a year ago from the date on this thread..
Looks like the good old mineral oil is burning clean @ 25:1 no blocked up spark arrester.
And looks like he's been cleaning the airfilter more than he usually does lol

20231124_125839.jpg20231124_125744.jpg20231124_130306.jpg20231124_130326.jpg20231124_130726.jpg

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gave it a degrease and hit with the high pressure gerni almost good as new lol
Should be in a week or two I'll have the rest of the parts for it.. In the meantime he'll run it as is he has a new paddock of Ironbark for firewood..
20231124_130654.jpg20231124_133502.jpg

Gearshifter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've recently rebuilt one , the mtronic gave me abit of a headache but it seems a seal and a new solenoid was needed . What I noticed is once I've let it idle for about 30 seconds , hit the throttle, blasting big wood I can hear the saw tuning it self from rich to perfect tune.
When the mtronic works its amazing , when it doesn't its a pain in the ass , specially when solenoids where on back order and it took 6 weeks to arrive !

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Gearshifter. My 441 CM will eventually always start but it never lets you know in advance when it's ready to go. No hint that it's ready to fire. If it fires on the sixth pull, the fifth pull is no different from the second. I live with it. Once it starts, it's a great performer and pulls a 25" bar without breathing hard.