Bernie’s MS250 Upgrade

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
2:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you unhook the wires and try cranking it just to be sure a wire isn’t rubbed or the metal ground strap on the switch isn’t messed up. I had a 250 the wire was rubbed and grounding on the block

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I looked that over real close. All of the wiring looks factory perfect and unmolested. If there was a short in the wiring, it should have shown similar resistance when the coil was disconnected, right? Looks like there is a weak connection inside the coil.

Bernie did mention that it was getting harder to start as it got older.

New coil ordered for the fix.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I looked that over real close. All of the wiring looks factory perfect and unmolested. If there was a short in the wiring, it should have shown similar resistance when the coil was disconnected, right? Looks like there is a weak connection inside the coil.

I would check Ohm resistance on each wire individually to be sure you don’t have a broken wire. Although rare, I have had it happen to me on a saw.. Disconnect each wire from both ends and check resistance with your meter.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ok, new oem coil or aftermarket?

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy to report saw runs perfect after installation of a Walbro WT-215-1:
MS250 Revved.jpg
Walbro WT-215-1.JPG

Old vs new carbs:
OEM Zama vs Walbro 215.jpg
OEM Zama vs Walbro 215 side.jpg

Put the OEM Stihl coil back in and sharpened both of his chains.

Runs, handles, and cuts great, these are nice light saws. Feels more nimble than an 024/026 model.

Last edited:

Paul Fithian

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bernie dropped his saw off the other day, and said the new maintenance guy at his shop tried to run it and it would not go above idle. On the bench I found this:
Brake Handle Broken.jpg

Center post on the hand guard was broken off and it was jammed on the muffler in the forward position, locking the brake. No other damage, this numbskull used about 1/2 tank of fuel and there were saw chips/dust all over it. For sure he had cut a fair amount of wood with it, but told Bernie it was like that when he grabbed it from the bench and didn't cut with it.

Found a used Stihl part on eBay and put it on, all good:
Brake Handle Installed.jpg

Original and replacement had the same part number, but they are different designs and came from different molds:
Brake Handle Differences.jpg

Last edited: