rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here he is few months ago..
Tough old bugger hard worker he's retired but can't help himself still runs a saw most days.
Does firewood for something to do and builds furniture with his stash of timber from owning a sawmill for many years.
Screenshot_20211015-213157_Video Player.jpg 20200510_130107.jpg 20190609_123710.jpg

..X..

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What brand degreaser did you use? Looks good

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced a bolt and red loctite the rest of the bolts for the dogs all were loose.
Found a 066/660 chain catcher it fits.
Opened up the muffler outlet a little. When running good they have the power stock to pull .404 25inch bar in hardwood. The only thing you need to keep revs up with the lighter clutch than on older 066/660. let revs drop and they will stall the chain and slip the clutch.

I still need to order a solenoid but for now I'll get it going and try do a reset see if it runs any better stupid mtronic lol
Oh and I replaced the plug with a old school made in Germany bosch plug.
20220406_145901.jpg 20220406_145755.jpg 20220406_145810.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
12:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced a bolt and red loctite the rest of the bolts for the dogs all were loose.
Found a 066/660 chain catcher it fits.
Opened up the muffler outlet a little. When running good they have the power stock to pull .404 25inch bar in hardwood. The only thing you need to keep revs up with the lighter clutch than on older 066/660. let revs drop and they will stall the chain and slip the clutch.

I still need to order a solenoid but for now I'll get it going and try do a reset see if it runs any better stupid mtronic lol
Oh and I replaced the plug with a old school made in Germany bosch plug.
View attachment 332731 View attachment 332733 View attachment 332734

What do you set the depth rakers at?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you set the depth rakers at?

If you are going off the pic of that chain yeah IDK what is going on there. I gave the chain a rub looked at the rakers and was like WTF lol
I got to ask him what the go is with that there is no way it would pull that buried. I think he was cutting a lot of small chit standing using the nose and had that chain over aggressive.
When I give the saw a run buried if it doesn't like that chain (which I already know it won't) I'll put a fresh chain on.
Personally I go on feel for the rakers a rub every 3-4 sharpens ish. I give the chain a rub every tank cutting like Ironbark if it's clean will only need 2-3 rubs to bring an edge back.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one I rebuilt after a logger backed his skid loader onto it:
upload_2022-4-6_9-38-12.jpeg
You would not want to see what it looked like before I started. It took $530 in parts alone. I have no idea how the case survived the crushing impact, but it did. Dealer took one look and said, "You must be crazy to fix this saw." It runs today.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had an early 1st run one unfortunately the mtronic crap started playing up saw was gutless. At the time the dealer here couldn't fix it no one could tell me what was wrong with it. They apparently have the Mtronic all worked out on em now IDK?.
009 - Copy.jpg

Personally if I had a chit tonne of work to do I'd take a new Aussie ms660 over a ms661 any day. But lucky I don't run saws for work anymore so I don't have to worry about that chit anymore lol
7 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The very first MS661 M-tronic I worked on was right after they were first released, about five years ago or so. A logger, the owner, asked me to look it over. I ran into the same "gutless" problem you mentioned with that one. In that case, it was a defective coil that failed to work along with the rest of the electronics. The saw was new, and I told him to take it back to the dealer and he got it replaced -- the whole saw if I am not mistaken. I think it took Stihl two years to clean up the mess. Some worked and some didn't.

..X..

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's one I rebuilt after a logger backed his skid loader onto it:
View attachment 332746
You would not want to see what it looked like before I started. It took $530 in parts alone. I have no idea how the case survived the crushing impact, but it did. Dealer took one look and said, "You must be crazy to fix this saw." It runs today.

Depending of what a guy is fixing its almost getting to a point to just buy a new saw versus a complete rebuild.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are going off the pic of that chain yeah IDK what is going on there. I gave the chain a rub looked at the rakers and was like WTF lol
I got to ask him what the go is with that there is no way it would pull that buried. I think he was cutting a lot of small chit standing using the nose and had that chain over aggressive.
When I give the saw a run buried if it doesn't like that chain (which I already know it won't) I'll put a fresh chain on.
Personally I go on feel for the rakers a rub every 3-4 sharpens ish. I give the chain a rub every tank cutting like Ironbark if it's clean will only need 2-3 rubs to bring an edge back.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, after hearing about the rock wood you guys have to deal with I thought no way ! With those rakers.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just had a 661 coil fail on my old mans saw, simply failed to start.

Dealer mentioned he had a 661 still starting but down on power, cause being dodgy coil.

Doesn’t look like it’s an issue now, but for the future, I have fitted a Husqvarna 395 decomp to a 661 before, it’s nearly too much decompression.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to the Stihl dealer yeah as I thought they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
I got them to bring up the parts diagram of the carb there was two solenoid values one was black and one was white I ordered two of the white, I think that's the newest one? I vaguely remember reading something on the net get the white one IDK. $37 each.

Thompsonader

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I've gathered, no. But I haven't installed yet. I got this info along with part numbers from a thread that redbull661 had posted on. But I read that some of the different updates don't interchange. For example a v1 coil with a newer white solenoid. I don't remember the exact details but you can't go wrong with the whole kit