Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
This is about the point where someone tells a story how their grandpa's, sister's, cuzband knew a guy, who J B welded a cut in half tank back together and it runs as good as new too this day.

Glad to see this "tank" of a saw in the right hands and on its way back to cutting!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad, a 32 year machinist had faith in loctite compounds when no other machining option was present. This was a guy that made an eccentric bearing carrier for my brothers 250R. Follow the application tree, and apply with confidence. Let’s hear it rip Jim :)

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used Loctite 640 in a few applications where a bearing pocket was worn or a bit wallowed out. Be warned though- that stuff isn't a joke.

If you decide you want to remove the bearing later- you're going to need heat and a big press.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used Loctite 640 in a few applications where a bearing pocket was worn or a bit wallowed out. Be warned though- that stuff isn't a joke.

If you decide you want to remove the bearing later- you're going to need heat and a big press.
Heat and a press is exactly what my dad said was needed To break loctite loose. With a big “Pow!” When it finally let go.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ordered the smallest bottle available and a one with about 3 drops showed up. :(
Live and learn I guess... now I'm waiting on Friday for a more appropriate size.
You'd think there would be some place with that stuff in stock near me, but there are none that I can find.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I ordered the smallest bottle available and a one with about 3 drops showed up. :(
Live and learn I guess... now I'm waiting on Friday for a more appropriate size.
You'd think there would be some place with that stuff in stock near me, but there are none that I can find.
Try any/all local auto parts stores. What I've learned is they usually have Permatex brand sealants and not Loctite.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be able to get it at granger, any industrial tool supplier, bolt supplier or even a good mom and pop hardware store. The primer cleaner is tough to find and may have to order it. Brake cleaner will help but not perfect. MEK or metheline cloride is perfect.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't just assume it isn't in stock anywhere near me. I have literally called every single retailer listed by henkel, which is one of the places I ordered it from. Before that run of phone calls I burned through the list of parts stores, fastener supply, hardware, and a few machine shops. None had anything beyond the basic red and blue thread locker. 660 was available, but it's formulated for a much larger gap than I'm working with.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With these wallowed out bearing pockets, what are the odds of bearings not being set squarely in the cases? Or do you install the bearings on the crank, swipe the loctite where you want it, and hurry up the case assembly?
Perhaps a jig to maintain the bearings position? A dowel?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With these wallowed out bearing pockets, what are the odds of bearings not being set squarely in the cases? Or do you install the bearings on the crank, swipe the loctite where you want it, and hurry up the case assembly?
I wondered that myself. I would think little shims cut from feeler gauges could work.

The gap on this one at about .0025" when pulled to one side, so the viscosity of the loctite should keep it centered.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only repaired one saw with this problem. I chose to "stipple" the bearing pocket with a center punch until the bearing fit in with no wiggle jiggle and kept it centered, then put the loctite in with the bearing. Was on an old Jonsered and the repair worked well.

Torinocobra

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It probably shouldn’t be centered but fully aft or opposite the pull of the chain. Look at the wear and use your judgment, there are all kinds of forces at work there so I don’t know. Also, if the loctite calls for an activator then I would order it up and use it as well. I know with some of the anaerobic loctites that if there is a gap then they need the activator for them to set properly.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It probably shouldn’t be centered but fully aft or opposite the pull of the chain. Look at the wear and use your judgment, there are all kinds of forces at work there so I don’t know. Also, if the loctite calls for an activator then I would order it up and use it as well. I know with some of the anaerobic loctites that if there is a gap then they need the activator for them to set properly.
How's it going! Hopefully you guys and the new baby are doing well.