McCulloch CP 125 build

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loctite makes a compound called quick metal press fit 660 .We use it at work for spun bearings in the pockets of machine fixtures .I've used it once on a spun main in a Stihl 048 and as of yet not experienced a problem .
The mains on a McCulloch of course are a slip fit unlike Stihl which are heat shrink fit .So while they have to be tight they don't have to be "Swiss watch " tight .You might try raising the metal in the pocket by using a prick punch around the ID of the pocket to dimple the metal .Similar to the same thing as knurling a piston on an old Ford flat head .

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loctite also makes another version states it is ment as a slip fit retaining compound. I used a ton of both versions installing sleeves and bushings in aluminium at a pervious job building machines. Very strong and usually will tear the base metal out before the bond brakes. Heat is your friend if you have to separate the parts. Id like to see what it looks like disassembled machining the pocket and installing a sleeve may be a great option. Nice work as always

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the advise on which types of loctite. The gap is less than .005" so I believe this will work. There have been suggestions for several different types to use and I'd really like to find out if they work equally or if any are better than others.
Loctite 290 vs loctite 620 vs vibra-tite 54150 and 58450 vs permatex high temperature sleeve retainer vs quick metal press fit 660 vs the type @smokey7 suggested.
Please elaborate, lecture, inform, argue, whatever.. lol

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think there might be a number of ways to skin the proverbial cat regarding a wallowed out pocket. I've never had an 084 Stihl apart but had heard it uses a steel sleeved bearing pocket .
A sleeve,aluminum,cast iron or steel for a good machinist would not be that hard to make but were it myself it would be the last choice had other methods failed .Once you cut out the pocket all other methods would be out of the question .--nothing is impossible --

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me look at the numbers on the 2 products i have. Ive used both and usually use more of the slip fit retaining compound. Usually because im using it in a higher stress or looser hole and my little brain thinks it should be stronger
They are both very strong especially when the primer cleaner is used. If the primer is used one must move very quick getting the sleeve or bearing in place quick as it sets up very quick.