Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does this do, set the tune to Stihl factory specs, or alter it to the tuners specs?

According to the service manual....

You hook the saw up, and select calibration. Then unhook the saw, run it at idle for so many seconds, then wfo for so many seconds, then it will idle again for so many seconds, and then shut off. Then you hook it back up to be sure the calibration was successful. No where does it allow you to make any changes.

traffic903

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it needed to be tuned to suit the mods, how would it be able to tune itself to adapt to varying atmospheric and environmental conditions in standard form? Going from say 5 or 6000 feet to zero feet above sea level would require a pretty substantial adjustment by the brains in a stock saw. Surely it has the capability, just like mtronic does??

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it needed to be tuned to suit the mods, how would it be able to tune itself to adapt to varying atmospheric and environmental conditions in standard form? Going from say 5 or 6000 feet to zero feet above sea level would require a pretty substantial adjustment by the brains in a stock saw. Surely it has the capability, just like mtronic does??

The manual says......

After a repair to the chain saw, the control unit may not be adapted to the mechanical and mechatronic components initially. The chain saw may not have optimum power or faults may appear in the running behavior.
Calibration adapts the control unit optimally to the mechanical and mechatronic components of the chain saw.
Calibrating the chain saw is recommended whenever any of the listed components is replaced or is reinstalled :

–Crankcase
–Crankcase gasket
–Oil seals
–Crankshaft
–Piston
–Cylinder gasket
–Cylinder
–Injection module
–Injector housing
–Injection valve
–Sensor
–Generator
–Flywheel
–Clutch
–Control unit – only if the control unit is replaced.
–Injection pump
–Throttle shutter housing
–Air filter – only if the air filter is replaced.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the MDG (Stihl Service tool) interfaced online? Wonder if the local dealers will be able to hook the 500i up before they go on sale here in the states? I asked my local dealer about the service tool. He wasn't even sure he could sell it to me, but at $700-800 I told him not to worry about it. The Husqvarna service tool for battery and auto tune is relitively inexpensive BUT, software needs to be loaded on your computer to run it. I have one at work. Just can't use it at home.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You going all "official"??

Hell No !!!

Is the MDG (Stihl Service tool) interfaced online? Wonder if the local dealers will be able to hook the 500i up before they go on sale here in the states? I asked my local dealer about the service tool. He wasn't even sure he could sell it to me, but at $700-800 I told him not to worry about it. The Husqvarna service tool for battery and auto tune is relitively inexpensive BUT, software needs to be loaded on your computer to run it. I have one at work. Just can't use it at home.

The 500i ain't in the books, or on the site in the states yet Rich.