Mastermind Meets The MS500i

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's obvious that Stihl is staying ahead of the curve as far as applying new technology. So Randy now that you have examined it's insides, from what you are observing, what is the main design goal?

More power while still being cleaner and fuel efficient?

What can this injection system do that say the M-tronic system couldn't?

I love technology but needing to run to the dealer for hopefully not frequent resets makes me nervous.

Thanks again for doing the thread

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next thing they are going to sell a power commander for these things like on fuel injected Bikes.

Blue tooth dongle attached to the port on the saw and a phone app for tuning.

We use em all the time to tune flight parameters on RC Heli’s.

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The manual says......

After a repair to the chain saw, the control unit may not be adapted to the mechanical and mechatronic components initially. The chain saw may not have optimum power or faults may appear in the running behavior.
Calibration adapts the control unit optimally to the mechanical and mechatronic components of the chain saw.
Calibrating the chain saw is recommended whenever any of the listed components is replaced or is reinstalled :

–Crankcase
–Crankcase gasket
–Oil seals
–Crankshaft
–Piston
–Cylinder gasket
–Cylinder
–Injection module
–Injector housing
–Injection valve
–Sensor
–Generator
–Flywheel
–Clutch
–Control unit – only if the control unit is replaced.
–Injection pump
–Throttle shutter housing
–Air filter – only if the air filter is replaced.
So basically if you sneeze on it you need to take in and have it fixed.:risas3:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Talking to some people and an mdg1 tool and software is around 1800$. Dealer only of course and supposedly the husky stuff is dealer only also but only 2-300$. I want both eventually if I can get my hands on them. I wonder if eventually the government will force them to release the code stuff for people to make aftermarket scanners like cars and obd/ obd2.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be nice if they documented the interface so 3rd party tools could read data and write requests to reset /.calibrate etc. Obd II on cars are standard and speak the CAN protocol which is pretty easy to use.

There was an effort to reverse engineer an mtronic unit that user breese seemed to lost intrrest in.

If something comes up I can help as far as communicating with mtronic or autotune I'd be happy to help out however I can!

Still on my bucket list to dust off the work on Dyno electonics!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Randy now that you have examined it's insides, from what you are observing, what is the main design goal?

I wonder if they just wanted to be able to lay claim to building the first fuel injected saw.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The manual says......

After a repair to the chain saw,

–Crankcase
–Crankcase gasket
–Oil seals
–Crankshaft
–Piston
–Cylinder gasket
–Cylinder
–Injection module
–Injector housing
–Injection valve
–Sensor
–Generator
–Flywheel
–Clutch
–Control unit – only if the control unit is replaced.
–Injection pump
–Throttle shutter housing
–Air filter – only if the air filter is replaced.
So let's get this right, I know this is a new saw and we're learning what the deal is, but... so if I am a logger and pack some spares like a clutch cause I fly to an area to log where parts/service is not available I'm basically forked if I replace a part like a clutch because the saw needs to be plugged up to a 'dealers' puter for calibration? I can't remover the cylinder & have a functioning saw without going to a dealer? This is kinda what we dread about computer involved saw tech! If this I'd the case, this saw is almost useless to the pro consumer, its a 1500-dollar frustration ball. Next new Stihl I buy will be a standard carb 462! I hope Stihl does a standard carb version of the 500. I bet they will if these fears mentioned are true & become common knowledge. 2-toofed loggers generally don't like computers and certainly don't want their saws mixed up with them. :cunaooooo: