drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is, but I just haven’t taken the time to make mandrels and plates to use the lathe. I’ve gotten better at setting up to cut em on the mill
One tends to get faster with whatever way is comfortable to them. I swore off cutting bands on a lathe for way too long, then Mastermind told me it was so much more precise and Moparmyway showed me how. It takes me 1/4 the time it did to do it with a mandrel. I’ll never go back.

I’m happy I’ve still got my mandrels though. Every now and again I will use them to clean off a ridge Mr Heineken left behind on the lathe.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One tends to get faster with whatever way is comfortable to them. I swore off cutting bands on a lathe for way too long, then Mastermind told me it was so much more precise and Moparmyway showed me how. It takes me 1/4 the time it did to do it with a mandrel. I’ll never go back.

I’m happy I’ve still got my mandrels though. Every now and again I will use them to clean off a ridge Mr Heineken left behind on the lathe.

That darn Dutchman.

Bbintwn

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would think with the proper fixture it would be just as easy to cut squish and the base on a mill as it is on a lathe.

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you bring up a good point Shaun. It’s this very reason that I cut the band first. I know with certainty that after I cut the band it will be square with the bore.

I then indicate my mandrel in (2 places) using a 4 jaw (i like hard plastic or aluminum mandrels). Now I slip my cylinder over the mandrel and when pressure is applied from the live center in the tailstock, the face of my mandrel and the band that I’ve already cut will contact one another.

At this point I’ll cut the base.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you bring up a good point Shaun. It’s this very reason that I cut the band first. I know with certainty that after I cut the band it will be square with the bore.

I then indicate my mandrel in (2 places) using a 4 jaw (i like hard plastic or aluminum mandrels). Now I slip my cylinder over the mandrel and when pressure is applied from the live center in the tailstock, the face of my mandrel and the band that I’ve already cut will contact one another.

At this point I’ll cut the base.
Where are you indicating before you cut the band?