Reaction score
Country flag

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
One of the single best things I've done is the start wearing rubber coated gloves when I use these tools. My hands don't hurt like they used to.
I didn't wear them for to long and it bout ruined my right hand.
Seems I don't death grip the right angle as bad with gloves on.

I've also started wearing a apron to keep shavings off my clothes.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried several different wraps and like this the best. Rubbery and more cushion.
3M splicing tape. Enough on a roll for 3-4 tools.

P1020913 (Small).JPG

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put thick heat shrink on the RA's for traction.

Mastercarver has a 3 jaw chuck that can hold 1/4" shafts, runs really smooth and cool. Great for big aluma hogs or split mandrels.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a mandrel I made for cutting base and squish. I used Delrin with a steel stub pressed into it. I had to grind a little more off the top of the stub for it to fit within the combustion chamber. The set screw keeps the cutter from moving radially. The Delrin is easy on the aluminum bore on the Poulan 3800 cylinder that I made it for. If I every need a mandrel for a slightly larger bore, I'm going to add grooves with O rings to increase the diameter slightly. I leave the mandrel in the lathe after cutting the base. Then I hold the cylinder by hand with the lathe on at low speed. This stuff works awesome for a nice chatter free cut when cutting squish. http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/tapma...ySpzXABx8EAg6w1U3xht8eV-C2JQwqsqzkaAtdL8P8HAQ
DSCN2710.jpg

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a mandrel I made for cutting base and squish. I used Delrin with a steel stub pressed into it. I had to grind a little more off the top of the stub for it to fit within the combustion chamber. The set screw keeps the cutter from moving radially. The Delrin is easy on the aluminum bore on the Poulan 3800 cylinder that I made it for. If I every need a mandrel for a slightly larger bore, I'm going to add grooves with O rings to increase the diameter slightly. I leave the mandrel in the lathe after cutting the base. Then I hold the cylinder by hand with the lathe on at low speed. This stuff works awesome for a nice chatter free cut when cutting squish. http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/tapma...ySpzXABx8EAg6w1U3xht8eV-C2JQwqsqzkaAtdL8P8HAQ
View attachment 42287

What is delrin?

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plastic, it is a brand name/trademark for what I think is nylon. I get it from McMaster Carr

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would clarify. It easy to work with. Cuts like butter.

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just checked at McMaster Carr. $27 per foot of 2 1/2" vs. $38
There are other plastics costing less but I don't know how suitable they are.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a bit of research B4 buying my rotary flex shaft. The best performer on paper was the 1/2hp Mastercarver. The 'Ultimate' kit came with 2 handpieces, burrs etc. I have not owned a Foredom so can't compare them but I'm happy with the M/carver. At 1/2 HP / 30,000rpm with a bench dial control & foot pedal you have good control and power. I am not sure I'd be happy with a 1/8hp unit although those who own them are happy with performance. But you can spend a bunch on high end CCspecialty handpieces. I was gonna get a knockoff Fordom for 1/5th of the price but Randy who spends many hours grinding once said in a porting tools thread 'buy the best tools you can afford, you'll thank me later', so I am slowly buying the good stuff a bit at a time.